Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2009, 23:11   #1

Boat: Looking again
Looking for Used Boat in Australia or NZ

Hello,

We are looking to buy a boat in Australia or NZ to liveaboard and cruise around these waters. Is there a good place to get in contact with private sellers? We are looking for around 40-45' (13-15m). In this economy we're looking for someone who may want get out of their current boat (we're not looking for a good deal, just a face to face sale this time). My husband is a rigger and a mechanic, but would prefer to find a boat that didn't require too much work. I know, they ALL needs lots of work and TLC. But we're looking for less of a "project" than our last boat. I just thought I'd expand our ongoing search with brokers and see what you had to say or suggest...
Blueskygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 23:41   #2

Boat: deboated
All the usual internet boat sites + Trade a Boat magazine. Their is no quick and easy way but brokers will generally give you a closer description of the boats true condition than many owners will. This saves a load of wasted inspection time. While I did sell my boat privately I also asked what many would have considered a low price. Good luck!
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 23:50   #3

Boat: Jutson 50
Boat Point

I think Boat Point (www dot boatpoint dot com dot au) has almost all the actively marketed boats in Aus. From my observation of and participation in the Australian market, the selection is bigger and better value up North in QLD. Down South in Melbourne the selection is limited and more expensive. I don't know about WA or SA.
cheers
James
tackdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 23:51   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Boats for Sale - Yachts for Sale - Used & New Boats @ The Yacht Hub

Is probably the best, followed by

Used Boats - New Boats - Search New & Used Boats For Sale - BoatPoint Australia
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 01:02   #5

Boat: Looking again
Excellent, thank you! Don't get me wrong, we've been working with brokers, but we're looking at all options and so far we've been only with brokers, so we're wondering if we're missing good boats. When we bought our last boat we hired our own buying broker even though we found the boat on our own - so it's not that we don't trust them. He took one look at our 2 year-old and told us to invest in a house, not a boat. We trusted his honesty and hired him. We walked away from our then offer on a $400,000 house which is now worth $200,000, and bought a boat through a trusted broker. We're just looking at all options because we know that again the right boat is out there.

Thanks for the websites, I'll check them out!
Blueskygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 02:14   #6

Boat: Sea Urchin II
Private boats for sale - try boatsonline.

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/index.html
Old 27-04-2009, 02:24   #7

Boat: Trismus 37
try <www.trademe.co.nz> it is a NZ version of ebay and is very good, It is definitely a buyers market over here. But there are some good airline deals available so depending where you are in Aus you would be able to short list a few say in Whangarei / Auckland / Bay of Islands and pop across for a look for not a lot of dough. Your Dollar is worth a bit more over here as well.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 15:39   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Patience...

Buying a boat is a lengthy process. Sellers want too much, brokers are busy people and each boat can take a day or more to look at.

I found the Australian market to be very limited and quite expensive for larger (36'+) boats.

If you can buy overseas (and have the experience and time to start your cruising from somewhere else in the world) a la Markj then a more positive outcome may be achievable.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 18:45   #9

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
It is also just worth fronting up at marinas an asking around about boats for sale. If you can track down the vendor directly You don't actually need to have a broker involved at all, which immediately takes a decent chunk off the asking price before you even start to negotiate.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:12   #10

Boat: Beneteau 473
Untrustworthly Agents Australia

If your buying a yacht in Australia be carefull of the business ethics of the brokers. I've had an unfortunate episode with Matthew Holliday of Central Yacht Sales resulting in me making a complaint to Marine Queensland. Keep at the forefront of your mind "buyer beware"
Leighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:41   #11
blu

Boat: Herroscoff H28 29ft Belo Vula
2nd Steve Pope. I 've given up on brokers in OZ, boats are overpriced and brokers are keeping them there. Still a few private ones around if you're lucky to catch them. Heading to NZ myself next month and hopefully do a deal. Best of luck.
blu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia