Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-07-2015, 18:00   #1

Looking for some info before I rush into something

So.. I have been wanting to live on a boat for awhile now. And this one pops up:

Cross Water Yacht Sales (Everett, WA)

I can afford it, and I can afford to moor it. But i'm hesitant. And figured a second opinion would be a good idea.

I'm not overly worried about the condition of the boat because i'm a total tinkerer at heart. But if there is something of a "red flag" in that listing I would love to hear it. (Never bought a boat before, but the "price to risk" ratio on that boat feels very low.).

The other question is, would a boat like that be "safe" for blue water? (The first thought is that I want a boat to live on, the second thought is that I want to travel the world.)

Thanks

Old 31-07-2015, 17:17   #2

Re: Looking for some info before I rush into something

Hello, I applaud your enthusiasm and it seems the boat is in decent shape. I would make sure to have the boat surveyed by a competent professional.

I would add at that price range there is a variety of boats available in the states. Make sure that this one is the right one for you. Good luck!

Old 31-07-2015, 17:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Perhaps if you were to tell us a bit more--or a lot more about you--and what you plan to do, and not about whether you tinker but whether you know boats. $10k seems very high for a boat for this age and condition but do you want to live aboard at a marina or do you want to sail the world? BIG DIFFERENCE. Safe is a relative term and is just as dependent upon the person as it is upon the boat. I would say take your time, and dont rush...learn and look. Why would you want to go cruising with an outboard??? And 10 hp???
Old 31-07-2015, 17:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, a couple things from a former Rawson owner.
-They are decent boats and sail well for their age. Not fast for sure but comfortable and very dry in a blow.
-I was not aware Rawson built the Pilot house model back in '69. I suspect that's a mod and added on type but not sure about this. A friend of mine has a later model Pilot house and as I remember it looks different. Maybe Google some pics and see what you think.
-Apparently from reading that listing this Rawson has an outboard motor??? I have never seen an R30 with an outboard motor, they all had inboards. That may be another mod. and certainly reduces value. That boat may be unsellable.... as one with a diesel often runs that price now days. You will not like an outboard in choppy weather especially on that boat.
-Having sailed a standard sloop extensively , including the west coast Mexico/Seattle, and sailed on my friends pilothouse. I prefer the standard sloop as far as sailing and accommodation goes.
*It is hard to see over the raised pilothouse from the cockpit.
* The traveler on the roof is not handy to use, nor the mainsheet.
*The accommodation down below is very chopped up due to the raised floor aft and lower forward.
Just some things to think about. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 22:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
OK, a couple things from a former Rawson owner.
-They are decent boats and sail well for their age. Not fast for sure but comfortable and very dry in a blow.
-I was not aware Rawson built the Pilot house model back in '69. I suspect that's a mod and added on type but not sure about this. A friend of mine has a later model Pilot house and as I remember it looks different. Maybe Google some pics and see what you think.
-Apparently from reading that listing this Rawson has an outboard motor??? I have never seen an R30 with an outboard motor, they all had inboards. That may be another mod. and certainly reduces value. That boat may be unsellable.... as one with a diesel often runs that price now days. You will not like an outboard in choppy weather especially on that boat.
-Having sailed a standard sloop extensively , including the west coast Mexico/Seattle, and sailed on my friends pilothouse. I prefer the standard sloop as far as sailing and accommodation goes.
*It is hard to see over the raised pilothouse from the cockpit.
* The traveler on the roof is not handy to use, nor the mainsheet.
*The accommodation down below is very chopped up due to the raised floor aft and lower forward.
Just some things to think about. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Awesome, that is exactly the information I dreamed to get. Thank you SO much!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: