Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 07:33   #1

Looking for a price

Hey guys I have a boat here I’m trying to sell from a deceased estate. I have only the slightest idea of what it could be worth. I am hoping some of you guys could give your opinion on what it might be worth. It’s currently in good running condition and located in Hervey Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B6B4B89-C7CF-4462-A654-769416BE3EAB.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	186116   Click image for larger version

Name:	792D6F9C-D195-4CFA-83DD-681122D9F6F5.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	186117  

Name:	4E2732CE-BF4F-47BA-BAF8-E41B28B84F78.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	186118   Click image for larger version

Name:	9A6C4305-4F30-4EBF-B6A0-5BE1F6DC27FF.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	186119  

Name:	167DE0C4-8C12-4643-8FD2-B247FB5E46E0.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	186120   Click image for larger version

Name:	52CF880C-8C11-4734-90C3-950AB354AE13.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	186121  

Tim639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 08:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Looking for a price

Assuming you are doing this to help the estate, I would speak to some brokers. If you charge too little they will ostracize you. If you charge too much, it will not move and they will ostracize you.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 19:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Assuming you are doing this to help the estate, I would speak to some brokers. If you charge too little they will ostracize you. If you charge too much, it will not move and they will ostracize you.
Yeah trying to sell this boat for my mum, it was valued at 50k in 2014, was just after some opinions from people that know boats on what it might be worth now. Thank you for the reply.
Old 17-02-2019, 20:37   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tim, you do know that the used boat market in Oz is pretty slow at the moment? Invest in a Trade A Boat magazine and see what similar age same boat models are asking. Then phone around and see if you can find out what any have moved at. Ask 5% less. Berthing fees and insurance will eat you up otherwise, plus it's going to need a haulout, and fresh bottom paint,which will run up your costs, as well, more so if others do the work. However the haulout and bottom paint, and survey costs are something you and the prospective buyer can negotiate about. People will try to take advantage of the situation.
Another thing to do would be to contact a surveyor (an assessor for boats who substantiates what needs to be fixed for the purchaser) through whom you can find out what needs doing. From there you will have some more food for thought.

If your mother has many pleasant associations with the boat, you might not want to do this, but, it can also be sold for a rock bottom price as is where is. The estate will take a financial beating, but you can get out from under the responsibility fastest that way. If it's a typical Hervey Bay Boat, do not expect top dollar for it, sorry. Something to watch out for, sometimes brokers tell you to offer it for too much. It will not move, then, while you're out the berthing fees and insurance.

Ann
Old 18-02-2019, 02:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Tim, you do know that the used boat market in Oz is pretty slow at the moment? Invest in a Trade A Boat magazine and see what similar age same boat models are asking. Then phone around and see if you can find out what any have moved at. Ask 5% less. Berthing fees and insurance will eat you up otherwise, plus it's going to need a haulout, and fresh bottom paint,which will run up your costs, as well, more so if others do the work. However the haulout and bottom paint, and survey costs are something you and the prospective buyer can negotiate about. People will try to take advantage of the situation.
Another thing to do would be to contact a surveyor (an assessor for boats who substantiates what needs to be fixed for the purchaser) through whom you can find out what needs doing. From there you will have some more food for thought.

If your mother has many pleasant associations with the boat, you might not want to do this, but, it can also be sold for a rock bottom price as is where is. The estate will take a financial beating, but you can get out from under the responsibility fastest that way. If it's a typical Hervey Bay Boat, do not expect top dollar for it, sorry. Something to watch out for, sometimes brokers tell you to offer it for too much. It will not move, then, while you're out the berthing fees and insurance.

Ann
Thanks for that info Ann yes the birthing fees add up quick. It was put up and de fouled and a gel coat put on it about 18 months ago. Have you got any idea what the rock bottom price should be about ? Thanks again for the info
Old 18-02-2019, 13:00   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

Have you been to see Darren at Fraser Marine, he is above the Boat Club fuel dock. He is a straight shooting broker and will not give you any BS. He works hard to get you the best price and he can also move your boat from the marina berth to the slipway. A big part of the price is really going to depend on the motor age/hours/type.
I do a few surveys for Darren (My old survey is in one of your pictures) and he is by far one of the better brokers that I work with. He does not tolerate having his time wasted but goes out of his way to get a sale across the line. I often laugh that on the smaller boats my hourly rate is waaaay better than his.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:31   #7
LF4

What about finding a boat sale database with a listing of all boats that have been sold in in X time frame, in Y location, and Z sortable.

I do not know if something like this exists. I actually was looking for a database that breaks everything out for analysis. I would happily pay for it.
Old 03-03-2019, 17:32   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

No, Tim, sorry, no idea what it might be worth. There will be a brokerage at Urangan, and surely one in Bundaberg. Get 3 estimates. For quick sale, to avoid the berthing fees, pick the lowest, and try and move the boat. Too bad to possibly lose value, but more better it goes to a good home, asap.

Ann
Old 03-03-2019, 20:17   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF4 View Post
What about finding a boat sale database with a listing of all boats that have been sold in in X time frame, in Y location, and Z sortable.

I do not know if something like this exists. I actually was looking for a database that breaks everything out for analysis. I would happily pay for it.
soldboats.com
Old 04-03-2019, 03:42   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Unfortunately, SoldBoats.com is not available to the public. You must be a "credentialed" surveyor.

“Dear Marine Surveyor,
Please accept our invitation to subscribe to www.soldboats.com to access over 185,000 sold boat records as reported by YachtWorld member brokers.
SoldBoats.com provides marine surveyors with the most reliable source of sold boat data available today. New data is added daily. It is not available to the public. Eligibility Requirements and Terms of Use for membership apply.”

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/memb...Membership.jsp

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:56   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Unfortunately, SoldBoats.com is not available to the public. You must be a "credentialed" surveyor.

“Dear Marine Surveyor,
Please accept our invitation to subscribe to www.soldboats.com to access over 185,000 sold boat records as reported by YachtWorld member brokers.
SoldBoats.com provides marine surveyors with the most reliable source of sold boat data available today. New data is added daily. It is not available to the public. Eligibility Requirements and Terms of Use for membership apply.”

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/memb...Membership.jsp
If you pay them, they will sell
Old 04-03-2019, 06:18   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If you pay them, they will sell
"They" being Surveryor, or YachtWorld?
Do Surveyors typically provide a list of "comparables" with a complete buyers survey (or just a "market value"?), or would that comp list generally be considered an extra?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:36   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for a price

Well here is one being offered at $59000Aus on Gumtree at the moment..
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/scar...ser/1210674340

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:26   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
"They" being Surveryor, or YachtWorld?
Do Surveyors typically provide a list of "comparables" with a complete buyers survey (or just a "market value"?), or would that comp list generally be considered an extra?
Soldboats will sell their service to anyone willing to pay (regardless of what it says on their site), Just tell them you are in the marine business.

I include the soldboats listings in my reports valuation page (example below). I consider it necessary to show that a serious effort has been made at determining an accurate fair market value. I cannot speak for other surveyors.

Tags
price