Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 19:01   #1

Boat: Fountain Pajot Orana 44
Logistic steps moving from landlubbers to crusiers

Ok I've read a number of posts and threads and would like to get some feedback on this plan.

We are trying to get things in line and start executing our transition from jobs to cruising. Currently both working in NC, both finished our ASA 101,103,104 and 114. Looking at a 40-44ft cat for the two of us and most likely a cat, a furry ones...

So step one get an address, Drivers License etc. in FL thru St. Brendan's Isle in FL. Change of residence to be FL residence with no state income tax.

Step two in purchasing our boat in ? MD ? get it Documented with the USCG and register it in our "planned" cruising grounds, Hampton or Poquson VA. Both locations have marinas and zero property taxes. VA has a sales tax capped at $2000. We'd probably get acquainted with the boat and keep a slip initially.

Somewhere after buying the boat, sell the home in NC and move aboard fulltime.

Quit both jobs or work remote if we felt like it.

We aware of the 60-90 day rules so we would make sure to stay around our home port in Hampton/Poquson or keep moving so as not to incur any other states taxes.

Over a year or two we want to gain experience on the East coast and then go for the Carib. maybe further or back to the East Coast etc..

Am I missing anything???

When we first started looking at it we thought register in FL and pay the 18K but after some research, MD is capped at 15K and in VA sales tax is capped at 2K. And the 0 prop tax in a few VA counties will save a good deal of cruise kitty.

Any feedback is welcome, obviously a little planning for favorable tax treatment is a high priority.
zerompg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 19:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Logistic steps moving from landlubbers to crusiers

If you establish yourselves as FL residents then you will have to take care or
you might end up liable for the FL sales and use tax. You would get credit for the tax paid in another state but might have to pay the difference.

If you buy the boat, keep it and use it in another state for a min of six months you will probably be able to (legally) avoid the FL tax.

Otherwise, sounds like a good plan.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:27   #3

Thanks Skipmac, thats the way we understand it as well. Our intent would be to keep the boat well out of FL for more than 6 months a year. Maybe a transit here and there but nothing more than that.
Old 16-08-2016, 01:04   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Sounds like the track we took about 9 years ago. But we lived in Miami so we had to get the boat tax paid in Fla. Just try to limit the time in Fla and that is not a real problem as once we left we probably have not spent more than a couple of months there at any one time.

We also did the EC and the Bahamas a couple of times to find out what the boat really needed and did a lot of major upgrades before heading to a few distance destinations. We had the work done at Deltaville Boat yard in the cheaspeake and they were great.

By the way our goal like yours was simple EC and Bahamas and try to keep the boat floating and keep us alive. Well things got a bit out of hand and when we decided to make a big jump to the Bay Island and back we met some South Africans coming out of the Rio Dulce and next thing we are headed to Panama and then Colombia then the Eastern Carib and before long we said why not and crossed the Atlantic on a 2 person crossing and then 3 years in the Med and this summer the Black Sea

Be careful as you never know that simple run to the Bahamas becomes a bit more.

One of the things I get a chuckle out of on here is the number of people who have no boat or anything and decide that they can sail rtw on day one.

OH -- my one bug a boo - how are you going to get weather -- we are weather nerds and it has saved us a bunch of grief - for us when we can get it we use internet and 2-4 forecasts a day -- when no internet we use hf radio with the gribs - I got my ham license and use winlink

just a thought -- good luck as you seem on the right track
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 07:05   #5

Thanks Chuck! Good thing my wife keeps my plans in check, but I hope we get carried away later, when were more comfortable.
As far as wx, I too have my ham, KK4OIF.

We got an inReach as well and played with the marine WX in the BVI's, those come from OCENS. So I'm sure we can stay up to date.

We don't plan to have any schedule so we'll start by always waiting for good weather and get more and more comfortable onboard.

Thanks!
Old 16-08-2016, 07:08   #6

I think we might move our step one and two around.

Get the boat, get it registered in VA. That way if the boat is from MD or FL or wherever, we just need to get out within their windows and work it up or down.

Then get our addresses changed after the boat is out of FL, if we find one in FL.
Don't want to initially get a FL address listed until were out, just avoid entirely any possible FL tax, at least at the outset.
Old 16-08-2016, 07:32   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

1. get a boat / get the boat ready,
2. plan for long storage of land home leftovers,
3. plan for new accounts/investments structure,
4. sell the house,
5. safe store the land garbage,
6. invest / store the house sale funds,
7. go sailing.

Cut and paste as best fits your case.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 19:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If there is a no sales tax state on your side, establish residency there to avoid boat sales taxes, luxury tax. My mail/residency/vote is Oregon. Mail is a private mail box. A mail service boxes my mail when cruising and sends the cheapest way when given an address. Physical location is a private dock I use in winter. If your boat is documented and your cruising between states/international you can avoid personal property taxes on the boat. Documentation fees and yearly renewal is cheaper than state fees. (Everybody with a boat are the evil rich). At most you pay state fees for days within a state. I have every thing I own on the boat or in the boathouse except for a pu. I pay my bills yearly so no issue with mail coming late.
Sell or give away everything you're not going to use on the boat. Hard to do, but eventually you'll see the light. $100+ a month for storage adds up for stuff that will eventually get lost, stolen or flooded.
Buy a boat a little bigger so you so you have room to store necessary maintenance tools and seasonal items.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:00   #9

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If there is a no sales tax state on your side, establish residency there to avoid boat sales taxes, luxury tax. My mail/residency/vote is Oregon. Mail is a private mail box.
This might be a dumb question, but HOW do you establish residency in a state when you are cruising?

My wife and I have sold our house in NY and we are heading west. We are buying a boat in BC, staying the winter, then heading for points south. Not exactly sure where we will end up. Perhaps Mexico for next winter.

So, basically our home will be our boat for a few years.

We're planning to end up in Seattle, eventually. Can/should we try to establish residency in WA? Any idea how? Is a PO box enough?

It's something we haven't thought through, obviously.
Old 02-10-2016, 18:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
This might be a dumb question, but HOW do you establish residency in a state when you are cruising?

My wife and I have sold our house in NY and we are heading west. We are buying a boat in BC, staying the winter, then heading for points south. Not exactly sure where we will end up. Perhaps Mexico for next winter.

So, basically our home will be our boat for a few years.

We're planning to end up in Seattle, eventually. Can/should we try to establish residency in WA? Any idea how? Is a PO box enough?

It's something we haven't thought through, obviously.
Each state will have their own residency requirements. I'm not sure how the OP is intending to establish residency in FL, but I've lived in 8 states and each of them required proof of a physical address in that state for things like a drivers license. Something like a paystub and a utility bill is what they usually want to see. If you plan to keep your house in NY and use a PO box in WA, I think that would be a dead giveaway that WA is not your residency, but I'm not familiar with the requirements in either of those two states.
Bryan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 00:27   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerompg View Post
Thanks Chuck! Good thing my wife keeps my plans in check, but I hope we get carried away later, when were more comfortable.
As far as wx, I too have my ham, KK4OIF.

We got an inReach as well and played with the marine WX in the BVI's, those come from OCENS. So I'm sure we can stay up to date.

We don't plan to have any schedule so we'll start by always waiting for good weather and get more and more comfortable onboard.

"73s from KI4SRY and go to shiptrak and see a bit of where we are

Thanks!

If you have your HAM you can get winlink and from there the gribs - one of main sources of weather - and in the carib you can always listen to Chris Parker who is the guru of Carib weather and a great guy and for a nominal amount you can subscribe and get him to assist you on your weather -- good luck and let us know if we can help

By the way we used the gribs from the ssb that we downloaded 2x a day when we crossed the atlantic in 2013 - and use them here as one of sources
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote