Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 04:18   #1

Liveaboard in the UK - can I still claim my benefits?

Hi!

I'm looking into selling my boat & house and buying a nice liveaboard boat. It'd be affordable if I was to sell my house as anywhere near me I can park my boat is cheaper than my house at the moment! I've been using this salary calculator to figure out what money I will have and it's significantly less without the PIP I get for my mental disability. I won't have a physical address which I've been told I need to get the benefits at all. What should I do about this? Am I allowed to use a family member's address for this?

Hoping someone can advise Thanks!
jacobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:54   #2

Re: Liveaboard in the UK - can I still claim my benefits?

I doubt very much that answers gotten from members of this forum will be much use to you. They might even lead you astray! You are asking about complex matters and circumstances that we cannot know anything about. I had - as a retired accountant - a look at the calculator you cited. It is, IMO, primitive.

What you need to do is pay a few quid for the advice of a competent financial advisor familiar with all aspects of the UK Taxation and Social Welfare regime.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 09:44   #3

Tried Citizens Advice Bureau? They know their way around PIP and the appeals process.
andypag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 10:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobj View Post
Hi!

I'm looking into selling my boat & house and buying a nice liveaboard boat. It'd be affordable if I was to sell my house as anywhere near me I can park my boat is cheaper than my house at the moment! I've been using this salary calculator to figure out what money I will have and it's significantly less without the PIP I get for my mental disability. I won't have a physical address which I've been told I need to get the benefits at all. What should I do about this? Am I allowed to use a family member's address for this?

they would be satisfied with a marina address or a permernant liveaboard mooring/berth as long as you pay council tax for that address.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 10:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard in the UK - can I still claim my benefits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobj View Post
Hi!

Try this..

Mr Smith.
H27, Cobbs Quay Marina.
Poole, Dorset.
Postcode..

The H27 represents your pontoon/berth number..
Do Not write s/y/v Rubber Mama.. Marina is enough..
Office workers see red flags with yacht.. cabin etc.
Bedroom, Lounge, Kitchen, Toilet are the buzz words.
The rest you adjust to suit your marina/area address.
Worked for me when I was between jobs in the past.
Someone from the council comes out to view your accomodation is sufficient for purpose and thats it..
Council Tax is included in your marina charge.. or was.
Should add.. This worked as I was paid up from Oct 1st through to April 1st.. same as a flat rental.. doubt you will get it flitting hither n tither but then again.. the wheels of the State grind slowly.. payment directly to your bank then should you get the urge to travel spend your summers sailing and your winters in someone elses berth.. then just send in a change of address form and PC of the winter rental agreement.
Once the balls rolling its fine.. just need to find the right places to push.. I was living aboard a Virgo Voyager 23.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard