Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-05-2010, 02:38   #1

Is This a Scam

Hi
Has anyone dealt with this company who advertise on this site? They are supposedly based in Florida; some of the prices seems too good to be true, so probably are! CheapBoatsStore.com
Regards

Old 04-05-2010, 07:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Although they are new to the web - registered their domain in Mar2010 they do give an full address in Key Largo. Scams usually never give a full location/physical address. Since they seem to deal in small recreational fishing boats and sport fishermen boats, the name is not a put-off. Lots of places will use "cheap" - "discount" and other versions to "hook" in prospective buyers to look at the boats. You can look them up in the Florida registry of businesses and also in the Florida Yellow Pages and many other sites to get a good idea of how long they have been around. And of course you can ask somebody you may know in Key Largo to check out the address. Just glancing at their website it does not look like an obvious scam but just a business expanding into internet advertising.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:05   #3

I sent an e-mail to this site requesting info on one of their advertised boats, I received a reply with loads of high quality pictures. I subsequently sent two further e-mails requesting to see the aforementioned boat. I am still awaiting reply to these two e-mails…….Check this web sites boat prices then factor in FREE delivery to most parts of the world and the math does not add up……….BUYER BEWARE.
Below is a reply received from another forum:
"This is an absolute scam. These people hack advertiser's Google accounts and spend thousands of dollars under other peoples accounts. They create their own ads and send clicks to their website using other people's credit cards. This site should be shut down and dealt with by authorities. I've been in touch with Google and they are in fact investigating the site and may involve the proper authorities in the country where the activity is coming from (Not the U.S.)"
Regards
Zerubb
Old 05-05-2010, 07:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So maybe the scammers are getting more sophisticated, maybe not. My suggestion also included going or having somebody you know go the the listed physical address and see what is there. If there is a boat dealer with boats on display then either somebody is "phlishing" their email/web address/name - which is not uncommon as a lot of the legitimate banks and other outfits I deal with are all having that problem - or the report of the "scam" is inaccurate.
- -Caveat emptor - buyer beware - was valid back in Roman times and is still valid today and tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
They don't actually give a street address; merely a street name, "Overseas Highway" (which is US 1).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Register.com says the administrator is in France. Interestinger
Old 09-05-2010, 02:50   #7

As GordMay pointed out "They don't actually give a street address; merely a street name, "Overseas Highway" (which is US 1)". I e-mailed them asking for specific a address where I could view boat/boats, since which time they have been conspicuous by their absence (read no reply).
Regards Zerubb

Old 09-05-2010, 05:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They are not listed in the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce/ BBB or Yellow Pages or White Pages. The Patrick Wallis is only listed in Miami and Homestead which is not unusual as a lot of business owners live in the Miami area versus the expensive areas of the Keys.
- - There a lot of business along the only highway that runs down the Keys that are in single offices tucked away along the highway. Their webpage suggests that they do not have a show facility but that they are listing and selling boats that are still at the owner's docks, etc. All of this is not uncommon and in fact, quite common in Florida.
- - But they advertise only "run-a-bout" and fishing boats and maybe Sport Fisherman boats - none of which are "cruising boats." So why is the question here on a Cruising Forum?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: