Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 20:03   #1
Registered User
 
DuaneGraham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Boat: N/A At least not yet
Posts: 68
Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

So this is probably going to sound like an odd question but I know of some cars, motorcycles, etc that have been dubbed as being more for females. Does the sailing community have boats similar in this respect?
__________________

__________________
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 20:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

You are right, it does. I understand what you are after, "hairdresser's cars" Harley "skirtsters". But what does it matter? If you are concerned what other folks think of your choice then you are stuffed. Whatever you have somebody will be disparaging about it. That should be their problem not yours.

Never heard of a boat like that though. Maybe because they are all thought of as females anyway.

Coops.
__________________

__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 20:33   #3
Registered User
 
DuaneGraham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Boat: N/A At least not yet
Posts: 68
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You are right, it does. I understand what you are after, "hairdresser's cars" Harley "skirtsters". But what does it matter? If you are concerned what other folks think of your choice then you are stuffed. Whatever you have somebody will be disparaging about it. That should be their problem not yours.



Never heard of a boat like that though. Maybe because they are all though of as females anyway.



Coops.

Hahaha, thanks Coops, I guess I never quite put it properly, I'm not looking for a "hairdressers" boat, I haven't quite narrowed it down yet, but I don't want to be like my friend, he's 27 years old driving a Mitsubishi eclipse convertible,... I'd rather save myself from that. But I also hear what you're saying, everyone should be free to do whatever floats their boat.
__________________
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 22:24   #4
Registered User
 
DuaneGraham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Boat: N/A At least not yet
Posts: 68
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Hmm, maybe I should be more specific with my question, which boats would be considered, for lack of a better term and no disrespect intended, "ladies choice" sailboats?
__________________
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 22:42   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego
Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Posts: 1,109
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

This is the only one I can think of: Ladies' boat
__________________
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 23:28   #6
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneGraham View Post
Hmm, maybe I should be more specific with my question, which boats would be considered, for lack of a better term and no disrespect intended, "ladies choice" sailboats?



Beneteau's, Jeanneau, Hunter, and any catamaran!
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 23:35   #7
Registered User
 
nimblemotors's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento, California
Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Posts: 1,557
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

The ladies choice is a large megayacht with maid, chef, laundry services provided.

The richest woman in the UK just bought this one, so obvious its a ladies choice:

__________________
JackB
MiniMPPT Solar Controller
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 23:48   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,924
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Wow Minaret you have finally exposed the Cats for what they are "Chick Yachts"
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 00:00   #9
Registered User
 
DuaneGraham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Boat: N/A At least not yet
Posts: 68
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Wow. Now how to separate the chafe from the wheat,... Hmmm. Well mega yachts I do believe will be out of the question so not much worry there, as are catamarans, not my forte. Although maid service I must say does have its perks, let's not be too hasty to criticize that.
__________________
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 00:10   #10
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Wow Minaret you have finally exposed the Cats for what they are "Chick Yachts"


I thought that was understood, and the main reason people buy them; to "get the chicks". You know, the ones that don't like "tippy boats".
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 00:22   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,924
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Shoot, well I guess that just leaves Beneteau's Jeanneau's Bavaria and Hunter's! These are the "girlyman" boats that appeal to the metro sexual males but if you want a real manly boat you would buy something like an HR, Tartan,Taswell or Amel.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 02:00   #12
Registered User
 
DuaneGraham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Boat: N/A At least not yet
Posts: 68
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Shoot, well I guess that just leaves Beneteau's Jeanneau's Bavaria and Hunter's! These are the "girlyman" boats that appeal to the metro sexual males but if you want a real manly boat you would buy something like an HR, Tartan,Taswell or Amel.

No no, I'm trying to make sure I don't end up with a girly man boat because at this point I can honestly say I don't know the difference. In any event, none of those boats have actually caught my eye anyhow like the Jenneau or hunters, I've been looking into the C&C's and the aloha, hopefully they don't fall into that category. But those you mentioned after I will definitely look up, probably a bit too pricey for me as I haven't stumbled across them in any of my searches. I'm working around the 15-20k mark.
__________________
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 02:21   #13
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Beneteau's, Jeanneau, Hunter, and any catamaran!
+1+1+1+1
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 02:39   #14
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneGraham View Post
No no, I'm trying to make sure I don't end up with a girly man boat because at this point I can honestly say I don't know the difference. In any event, none of those boats have actually caught my eye anyhow like the Jenneau or hunters, I've been looking into the C&C's and the aloha, hopefully they don't fall into that category. But those you mentioned after I will definitely look up, probably a bit too pricey for me as I haven't stumbled across them in any of my searches. I'm working around the 15-20k mark.



Oh, you have nothing to fear then. Pretty sure you can't buy a girly boat at that price point!
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 02:47   #15
Registered User
 
DuaneGraham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Boat: N/A At least not yet
Posts: 68
Re: Is that a dude captaining that boat!? Helllooo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Oh, you have nothing to fear then. Pretty sure you can't buy a girly boat at that price point!

AHAHAHAHAAA, well ain't that a relief! I suppose I don't need a full head with shower and salon, just so long as she floats the majority of the time.
__________________

__________________
DuaneGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
captain

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: In Shape, Organic Dude looking for Crew OrganicTruth Crew Archives 99 28-12-2013 14:07
Crew Available: Sailor, Filmmaker, New Captain, Awesome Dude cj.sternagel Crew Archives 6 11-11-2012 20:14
Dude, Where's My Keel ? ssanzone General Sailing Forum 40 15-12-2011 15:27
Polish Dude Paddles Across the Atlantic beowulfborealis Off Topic Forum 18 06-02-2011 11:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.