Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:30   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 844
Images: 1
Is Registration Proof of Ownership in Commonwealth Nations ?

... Wondering about this, and if there is a lien against a boat registered in a Commonwealth nation (Singapore) will it show up when de-registering or re-registering the boat?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

G2L
__________________

__________________
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,576
Images: 240
Re: Is Registration Proof of Ownership in Commonwealth Nations?

I don't believe so.

MarineLiens.com is a global database of maritime liens. Itís free to use, but you must register.
Welcome to MarineLiens.com - Reduding the Risk
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:14   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 844
Images: 1
Re: Is Registration Proof of Ownership in Commonwealth Nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don't believe so.

MarineLiens.com is a global database of maritime liens. Itís free to use, but you must register.
Welcome to MarineLiens.com - Reduding the Risk

Gord,

You da man. Really appreciate your help on this and in other past threads.

Best regards,

G2L
__________________
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:29   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 844
Images: 1
PS - Re: Is Registration Proof of Ownership in Commonwealth Nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don't believe so.

MarineLiens.com is a global database of maritime liens. Itís free to use, but you must register.
Welcome to MarineLiens.com - Reduding the Risk
One more question:

I take it that your response, "I don't believe so" refers to my question about whether liens show up in the de-registration or re-registration process.

What I am still wondering is whether "registration" is considered proof of ownership, just as a "title" would be for a piece of land.

Once again, thanks for your help, and any further insights would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

G2L
__________________
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:33   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,133
Re: PS - Re: Is Registration Proof of Ownership in Commonwealth Nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post

What I am still wondering is whether "registration" is considered proof of ownership, just as a "title" would be for a piece of land.



G2L
Only if your name's on the document.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:42   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 844
Images: 1
Re: PS - Re: Is Registration Proof of Ownership in Commonwealth Nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Only if your name's on the document.
Well ...

That's not exactly true in the US. You can register a boat in any state along with your trailer and whatever, but the registration is not considered "proof of ownership". So, although you may have registered the boat, there is no assurance to the buyer that you actually own it.

I'm just wondering how it all susses out in Singapore.

Keep the faith,

G2L
__________________
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:58   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,133
Re: PS - Re: Is Registration Proof of Ownership in Commonwealth Nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Well ...

That's not exactly true in the US. You can register a boat in any state along with your trailer and whatever, but the registration is not considered "proof of ownership". So, although you may have registered the boat, there is no assurance to the buyer that you actually own it.

I'm just wondering how it all susses out in Singapore.

Keep the faith,

G2L
The boat being in Singapore, I would think it's a documented vessel, not state registered. As far as state registration of vehicles/boats goes I would think they would require proof of ownership (signed over pink slip, bill of sale) before registering it in your name. In many countries other than the US "registration" means what US citizens call "documentation".
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 13:34   #8
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: PS - Re: Is Registration Proof of Ownership in Commonwealth Nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
What I am still wondering is whether "registration" is considered proof of ownership, just as a "title" would be for a piece of land.


G2L

Australian registration is proof of ownership guaranteed by the Government.

But I don't know about other countries.
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 13:44   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 844
Images: 1
Re: PS - Re: Is Registration Proof of Ownership in Commonwealth Nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The boat being in Singapore, I would think it's a documented vessel, not state registered. As far as state registration of vehicles/boats goes I would think they would require proof of ownership (signed over pink slip, bill of sale) before registering it in your name. In many countries other than the US "registration" means what US citizens call "documentation".
With all due respect, I should note that you are jumping to a few, somewhat unwarrented conclusions here by assuming that the boat is documented or registered in the US. It is not.

Thanks for your note,

G2L
__________________
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 13:47   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 844
Images: 1
Re: PS - Re: Is Registration Proof of Ownership in Commonwealth Nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Australian registration is proof of ownership guaranteed by the Government.

But I don't know about other countries.
Thanks Mark. That helps a bit. Hoping to hear from folks in Singapore as well.

Appreciate your input.

Regards,

G2L
__________________

__________________
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ownership, registration

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.