Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 08:43   #1

Is Leasing an Option ?

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, but I'm new to all this so I'll use that excuse as justification. I want (and need) to find a place to live quickly and want to use this opportunity to pursue my dream of living aboard a sailboat and cruising the US eastern seaboard (the intercoastal waterway), living in the warmer climates in the winter months and returning north for the summer months. Divorce has wiped me out financially, except for a small, monthly retirement check. So here's the question:

Is it possible to find a 1 year lease on a 27'-32' live-aboard sailboat---maybe from someone who doesn't sail anymore and is selling or thinking about selling and would enjoy a monthly payment for a year?

Such an arrangement would allow me to learn the boat, learn the craft of living aboard, save some money for a down payment and make an informed decision on what to do after year one. It would also allow someone with a slip payment to take a break from paying and BE PAID instead. Of course I will be ASA certified before taking possession.

Am I thinking outside the box or just plain crazy? Anyone? Other options?
im1ru12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
It may not be impossible; but it’s a highly unlikely and unusual arrangement. Boat rentals are most typically called charters, which usually last days or weeks. A charter would likely be much more expensive than an apartment rental, longer term.
So whilst, perhaps not crazy, youy’re definitely thinking outside the box.
Good luck!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:57   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
You may want to look into crewing on a boat. A crew that pays his or her own way is probably highly desired
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:41   #4

Crewing? You mean there could be someone out there who could use a beginner? I'm on it, maytrix! If you (or anyone else) has any leads, I'll be grateful until the day someone proves the world is flat!

THANKS !!!!!
im1ru12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
I'm sure there's got to be someone who might want crew that's willing to pay their way..etc. It all depends and you may need to get a little more experience prior, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of opportunity.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43   #6

i know i have read many ads looking for crew, experience not necessary
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:21   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Out of the box or not, I don't see why it could not be done. I think your logic is sound. There must be someone who is not sailing and doesn't want to sell, or can't sell, and would like to have the boat in use and producing some kind of income.

Tricky thing will be to make the owner comfortable that you won't damage the boat or worsen its condition, and that you can provide a good financial guaranty that you will pay for it if you do, and here being a beginner is a big minus.

But otherwise -- I don't see why not. Keep us posted if you decide to go this route and find a taker -- it will be educational for us.

Good luck.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 19:21   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Without a financial guarantee equal to the value of the boat I seriously doubt you could Lease a boat. Unless, that boat was bolted or chained to a sturdy piece of land. Unlike a house, the boat can be moved out of its home jurisdiction or even country. Unlike a house or apartment you can sink the boat due to improper use or negligence.
- - However if the boat is very small or of no or little value to the owner, then such a rental should be possible. Then again there are zoning and other local rules/laws about live-a-boards in residential or other parts of some communities. Then there are insurance and liability issues of you using his property which he is ultimately liable for. All of this points to a complicated process that makes "leasing" a boat for more than a normal rental period rather unlikely.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 13:02   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Ive never seen a "lease" or such a long term rental, as Osirssail points out , there is the security issue. You could simply disappear. Youd have to provide a guarantee to the boats value , hence why not buy one.

Go crewing, first do a basic ASA course ( or courses) then youll find plenty of people will take you as crew, especially if you are self supporting. I know, its how i started 30 years ago.

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 13:39   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Without a financial guarantee equal to the value of the boat I seriously doubt you could Lease a boat. Unless, that boat was bolted or chained to a sturdy piece of land. Unlike a house, the boat can be moved out of its home jurisdiction or even country. Unlike a house or apartment you can sink the boat due to improper use or negligence.
- - However if the boat is very small or of no or little value to the owner, then such a rental should be possible. Then again there are zoning and other local rules/laws about live-a-boards in residential or other parts of some communities. Then there are insurance and liability issues of you using his property which he is ultimately liable for. All of this points to a complicated process that makes "leasing" a boat for more than a normal rental period rather unlikely.
I don't believe that this is logical. Exactly the same argument applies to a mortgage loan on a boat, but those are freely available. One could just as well disappear with a mortgaged boat, never to be seen again. But people rarely do for all kinds of reasons, hence banks are happy to make loans on boats.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 14:29   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
One could just as well disappear with a mortgaged boat, never to be seen again. But people rarely do for all kinds of reasons, hence banks are happy to make loans on boats.
yes but banks have access to resources that a private seller has not, including lots of money to go chasing you down. You're much likely to default on S.Bloggs then Goldman Sachs!.

The fact remains, its not commonly , if at all done.

Note that there are further complications, Leasing a boat like that is in many countries construed as a charter, hence there is reams of charter boat rules to follow, including moding the boat etc. Then there is issues such as insurance, etc.

This is before someone works out the costs of the lease

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease