Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 09:35   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: IRS Out to Get US Citizens Living Offshore

US State Department Services - Dual Nationality
US State Department Services Dual Nationality

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:47   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Dont see how anyone could put a price on not being American!. . .
Usually when a person spends a considerable amount of time living in a country other than their birth country, they can start to get a real feeling and grasp of the differences in life styles and comfort levels. Sometimes this results in the realization that they are personally better suited to living in the "new" country and enjoy their lives there much more.
- - Add to that a situation where the person has no need (financially or otherwise) or desire to ever return to the "birth country" and really have no need or desire to use any "advantages" of retaining that citizenship, then you have the "candidate" for renouncing their birth country citizenship.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:51   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

My American-born, or immigrated, or dualies by parentage friends here in Toronto have been talking about this for some time. In the ridiculous case of a kid born to Canadians while resident in the States and then brought back to Canada as an infant, the person might not even grasp that Uncle Sam wants a pound of flesh if they've never held a U.S. passport.

Apparently, it costs money to STOP being an American.

Expatriation - Renouncing US Citizenship - A Cost/Benefit Analysis

When I took up dual British/Canadian citizenship via my British father in the early '80s, I thought I might get called up to serve in their army during the Falklands War, but that didn't happen. The tax and pension implications are either not applicable or beneath notice, unless I were to work and establish a residence in the EU. Going to the "green line" when visiting Europe is quite convenient, however, as would be the ability to take casual jobs in Britain and other EU countries.

As a sailor, however, I've made very sure my boat is Canadian-flagged, registered and owned, because if it were otherwise, the European regulations, taxes and insurance are far more expensive than in North America.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 10:07   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Dont see how anyone could put a price on not being American!......Not even a consideration.No amount of money for the love of my country..and im native american and at the very bottom of the pecking order of socio-status ie,highest un-employment,highest alcoholisum rate,most uneducated,most of all the negative things you can think of per-capita and we (native americans)have it...but its better to be the lowest american than the highest of anyone else...of course my thoughts might have something to do with the highest per-capita of the un-educated...DVC
For many years, there was a significant number of Canadians that hoped to get a coveted "green card" to work and live in the US.

That desire has eroded over the past number of years. US taxation is higher for both personal and corporate taxes, and everyone knows about the economic situation that shows little signs of changing in the US.

Many Canadians now look to go south for the winter, buy very cheap property in Arizona or Florida, but have little desire to become residents.

That is a reality, but it is a sad reality.

For a century the US was looked up to by the world.

Now, not so much so. A significant part of the reason is economic uncertainty, and no clear message that the US government can unite in eliminating the deficit and start paying down the debt.

I am not trying to make a political statement; that is up to the citizens of the US to deal with.

The IRS actions may be part of what government can do to somewhat impact the deficit within existing laws. It will catch a lot of innocent people, although the intent was certainly to catch the cheats.

There are a lot of people outside the US hoping that it gets it's fiscal house in order. There are a lot also who are cheering the problems... many not friends of freedom and democracy.

I now get off my speakers box, and yield the floor to those with better answers than myself
Old 21-08-2011, 11:34   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

And for a first, there is a rush of "Mexicans" trying to cross the border - - southbound as reported by the latest news reports. Seems there are more jobs in Mexico currently.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 13:12   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
For many years, there was a significant number of Canadians that hoped to get a coveted "green card" to work and live in the US.

That desire has eroded over the past number of years. US taxation is higher for both personal and corporate taxes, and everyone knows about the economic situation that shows little signs of changing in the US.

Many Canadians now look to go south for the winter, buy very cheap property in Arizona or Florida, but have little desire to become residents.

That is a reality, but it is a sad reality.

For a century the US was looked up to by the world.

Now, not so much so. A significant part of the reason is economic uncertainty, and no clear message that the US government can unite in eliminating the deficit and start paying down the debt.

I am not trying to make a political statement; that is up to the citizens of the US to deal with.

The IRS actions may be part of what government can do to somewhat impact the deficit within existing laws. It will catch a lot of innocent people, although the intent was certainly to catch the cheats.

There are a lot of people outside the US hoping that it gets it's fiscal house in order. There are a lot also who are cheering the problems... many not friends of freedom and democracy.

I now get off my speakers box, and yield the floor to those with better answers than myself
Our president just purchased 2 Canadian made buses for 2 million+ dollars,if he wanted to score points seems like he would have bought American,perhaps we have bigger "Fish" to fry... sometimes it helps if one were to "Think" outside the box ...the Romens ruled the world for over 2 thousand yrs. and yet America can only hold on to power for a "century"?! How many other country's can even implement such a tax plan,wherein you have got to go after those that would like to have their cake and eat it to...come on people its been a big birthday party and those that brought gifts will get some of the cake and lets not count out the birthday boy...or girl which ever you like...all of this economic stuff is subject to change or do You really think the Fat Lady has sang?Why is it a sad reality? Canada would be my second favorite place to live.I think they treat the indians pretty good..dont they?LOL DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 13:29   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
And for a first, there is a rush of "Mexicans" trying to cross the border - - southbound as reported by the latest news reports. Seems there are more jobs in Mexico currently.
this is yet another group that would have their cake and eat it to...they came here and worked and have prospered and now that the stuffs about to hit the fan they run.Thank God they are not all like that..I was in a tire store a few weeks back and it was ran by a mexican, he had just begun to put the last of the expensive,tacky wheels on another mexicans car when the car owner said"Ill look good when I get back to Durango and get out of this %&*#*& country and went into this story about this country and how stupid we were,then the owner of the store told the guy doing the work to remove the tires and told the driver to get out and go back to mexico...turns out the store owner wasnt a citizen but his son was and was in the US Marine corp. serving in Afganistan...seems as thou the cream always rise's to the top...unless you start out with Bad Milk!
Old 21-08-2011, 13:46   #23

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I think this thread is headed for a big CLOSED soon.
Old 21-08-2011, 13:50   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I think this thread is headed for a big CLOSED soon.
I hope not.

At least not until after Aug 31/11.

The information IS important, although we need to be careful about injecting political diatribes.
Old 21-08-2011, 13:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I have even met friends with "triple" citizenships. You would be hard pressed in these modern days to find a country that does not allow "dual' or more citizenships. That said, there are obviously logical restrictions in that you cannot maintain a citizenship and actively be fighting (armed type) against that citizenship.
I am one of those "Triple Citizens". I was born in Fremantle Australia to a US Navy Dad and Canadian mom. I've Australian, Canadian, and American citizenship. I've earned the majority of my income in the US over the years, and about an 8th of it outside the US. In every instance, it has been more financially advantageous to pay taxes to the US government when I've had the choice. For the past decade I've spilt my time fairly evenly between Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA. I pay taxes on income I earn as a consultant to the US government, whether earned in Canada or the US. I pay taxes on income I earn from a storage facility I own in British Columbia to the BC government and do the same for a storage facility I own in Queensland Australia to the QLD government. I receive a foreign tax credit for both of those tax payments by Uncle Sam.

MY tax obligations to Uncle Sam will become even more complex in 2013 when I make the move to New Caledonia as I will no longer derive any of my income from the US. Even though I'll be making no tax payments (other than property taxes) to the US govt, I'll still be required to file US tax returns every year on ALL of my non- US income. It would be more costly for me to renounce citizenship than it is to retain US citizenship since if I renounce, I'd have to pay an "Exit Tax" for the 10 years following my renouncement.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 14:11   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I hope not.

At least not until after Aug 31/11.

The information IS important, although we need to be careful about injecting political diatribes.
Sorry about the diatribe..the guy was bitchen about having to pay taxes among other things, I was really trying hard to stick to the tax issue
Old 21-08-2011, 14:16   #27

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
When I took up dual British/Canadian citizenship via my British father in the early '80s, I thought I might get called up to serve in their army during the Falklands War, but that didn't happen.
Err the UK stopped conscription in 1960 !!!!

Falkland war was 1982 !!!

Do not go to Bermuda.... they still have conscription.... - seriously they do..... and they may be waiting for you

Wow - the things people do - Heck I just joined the Army and had 5 years of fun (opps - suppose that sounds bad these days)
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 14:19   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstar View Post
Err the UK stopped conscription in 1960 !!!!

Falkland war was 1982 !!!

Do not go to Bermuda.... they still have conscription.... - seriously they do..... and they may be waiting for you

Wow - the things people do - Heck I just joined the Army and had 5 years of fun (opps - suppose that sounds bad these days)
I bet it was fun and exciting..Thanks for your service DVC
Old 21-08-2011, 15:24   #29

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM

Quote:
I bet it was fun and exciting..Thanks for your service DVC
It was ....

Northern Ireland was better.....

Oh and then I went to some place called Kuwait . ... except then it was called Iraq .... etc etc.....

Sorry for being so OT - I'll self censor myself on this post - no more from me. Else it will become personal. Apologies to all.
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 00:08   #30
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Erm.... about the tax thing....?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore