Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2010, 12:07   #1

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Interstate Commerce & State Taxes

I have read on here about states that seem to violate (read Fl) the Interstate Commerce Ammenment of the Constitution. I am not a constitutional scholar but as I understand it it is a violation to demand tribute in any form for crossing a state line, whether it be a cruising permit or some type of arbitrary time limit to be in a state.

Any comments???
Old 13-02-2010, 12:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Not sure what you are referring to here. I know of no restrictions or fees to cross the border into FL. No cruising permits are required for US residents and there are no time limits to staying in the state.

They, like most other coastal states, consider you a resident and require that you register your boat in FL if you stay there more than 90 days. This, in my mind, is no different than all states that require you to get a local drivers license and state tag for your car, in some cases if you stay even 30 days.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 13:33   #3

I may stand corrected here but to my way of thinking I choose my residence, and it should not be dictated by how long I "visit". My homestead is in Texas and I am working on my boat in Fl.

I guess from a pratical viewpoing, no one knows (yet?) when I leave the state and go home. So what if I own a boat in Fl, no now knows how much time I spend here or there. Then again in Plano, TX. they have toll road cameras that capture your licence plate and automatically send you a bill for toll taken at 70-75 mph. Would not be hard to do the same at state lines to keep track. I guess I am going into big brother black helocopter land now.

I am now going to take a breath.
Old 13-02-2010, 14:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
It's the same for cars. States have the right to licence and tax cars. It's been that way forever. I'm sure some tax lawyer would have fought it by now if there was a case to be made.

if you stay in one state for a long time, you are using that states resources. Police, fire, ambulance, roads, sewers, water, bridges, etc. time to pay up. You may not be getting your money's worth but that's the deal everywhere. it is what it is.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 15:30   #5

All I am doing is spending money in FL and greening the economy. Not gonna be a test case. Just gonna lie my butt off to the authorities and stay under the radar for now. Gonna pay FL sales tax on the boat and stay a TX resident. Move the boat back to TX in a year or 2 or maybe not?
Old 13-02-2010, 17:15   #6

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Yes, the US is silly about this in general. There are lots of rules where states are trying to get their 'dues' and when you look at the buisiness they drive away it's a backfire.
Try the phillipenes or the DR. They will let you stay vertually forever and spend your money and you get alot more for it anyway. But you do need to renue your visas...
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 10:16   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
All I am doing is spending money in FL and greening the economy. Not gonna be a test case. Just gonna lie my butt off to the authorities and stay under the radar for now. Gonna pay FL sales tax on the boat and stay a TX resident. Move the boat back to TX in a year or 2 or maybe not?
Why pay FL sales tax on the boat? Did you buy it in FL? If you are an out of state resident and bought the boat out of state, even if you officially move to FL full time you do not owe FL sales tax on the boat if you have owned it at least 6 months prior to moving to FL.

Even if you bought the boat in FL, you have 90 days to remove it (longer if the boat is in a yard and you can document it is being repaired) and still do not pay sales tax if you are out of state resident.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 11:14   #8

I will have to pay sales tax in either FL or TX. The difference is negigable on my boat insofar as I only paid 34k. I think there is 1/2% to 3/4% difference. I am going to keep the boat in FL for the forseeable future so really it is 1/2 dozen of one and 6 of the other.

I suspect I will have less trouble overall if I have a FL sticker while in FL. When I do (if I do) take it back to TX there will be no problem registering there with proof of FL sales tax paid.

I looked into all different ways to avoid, from doing an llc then buying the stock to registering in Deleware. I looked at many accounting gyrations and finally figgered it was not worth it to act like I was rich and was buying a mega super yacht and dodging the tax like the mega rich do. Overall I have found in life when I do things the right way I life is easier. When I become one of the mega rich then maybe I will reconsider. I know my station

Tags
taxes