Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-06-2010, 15:53   #16

TroyMcclure and Idpnd:

If you could go back and re-do things, would you go the sailing exploration route, or the land-based exploration route? Which approach seems the best to you, in hindsight? I'm curious what your insights are, since both of you seem to have similar experience.

Old 16-06-2010, 17:11   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binyamin_Delta View Post
I certainly understand the appeal of liveaboard cruising, but I also wonder if more "traditional" exploration through Rio, Buenos, Mexico City etc may be better for somebody who is young and single. Some of the replies here have fueled more ideas.

To set aside the sum for a sailboat purchase, I will need about a year or so anyway -- so one approach might be to live fairly inexpensively now, explore areas like Mexico and Latin America, and then re-visit sailboats once I have some traditional travels under my belt.
At 23, your budget and given your need to be "connected" I would stay on land. Boat and the learning to go with it (and the ability to eat your cash ) just too much of a PITA.

How "traditional" your adventure is will depend solely on you

Go Now!.........Go Boatless!

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 17:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Boat and the learning to go with it (and the ability to eat your cash ) just too much of a PITA.
Makes sense. Suppose I could put a much smaller amount into crewing / lessons / bareboat charters instead, and gain experience without as many headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
How "traditional" your adventure is will depend solely on you
Roger that.
Old 16-06-2010, 17:53   #19

Quote:
TroyMcclure and Idpnd:

If you could go back and re-do things, would you go the sailing exploration route, or the land-based exploration route? Which approach seems the best to you, in hindsight? I'm curious what your insights are, since both of you seem to have similar experience.
I'm happy with my sailing adventure route. Of course that's me. I like to explore/see new sights/cultures etc etc... but i'm also a bit of a homebody and I like having stability so being able to take my home with me wherever i go is appealing. I used to live in a one bedroom apartment and converting to a sailboat hasn't been too difficult.

Main difference is the view when i go outside for a ciggarrette^^.

Though lack of takeout food did take a bit of getting used too.

Well 'single life' and sailing. Tis fine (for me at least) just stay at a marina for a month or two every now and again(marina fees are still generally cheaper then apartment costs) and go clubbing. If you're at a marina it's basically like living in a small waterfront apartment.

Strenuous exploration well, depends really. You can leave your boat at a marina and go off on trips, I can't cause i have ships cats aboard but I find that i'm generally happywith just exploring coastal.

Well I have to say that if you can go live overseas and save money for a while to save up for a boat then that makes alot of sense.

But for me... i look at "resort holiday" adventure advertisments.

They list, stuff like go snoreklling! kayaking! swimming! explore our sandy beaches! etc etc.

I have a snorkel, i have a kayak and i go for a swim(salt water bath) just about every day in summer. Also the beach is atm about 50 metres from where my boat is anchored right now. Total cost for a week at a resort is thousands...

Having said that, i'm an introvert, so not always being around people and near civilization doesn't bother me. If you're an extrovert it would make things a bit different as one of the nice things about cruising is the solitude it affords.

In hindsight i'm happy with my choice, it's true i can't just up and go to the other side of the planet via plane. But i can keep my home base and up and sail to the next port/city/ pretty quickly and next country/continent with a bit of planning.

So I vote, go sailing/cruising. You get too basically live a resort lifestyle but in your own home which can travel over 70% of the planet... but only if the notion of being alone for weeks/months on end before getting to spend time in a city is appealing to you, and if you think you would like living on a boat.
Old 16-06-2010, 19:21   #20

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
I think you're onto the right idea with, work for a few years while putting your toe in the water (skip the chartering) by crewing for other people. I spent about 9 months aboard other peoples boats over the course of 3 years to see if I really wanted to do it -- I did, so I bought a boat and lived on it for a year in a marina while fixing it up before I started going anywhere, I definitely miss having the freedom to go anywhere on the drop of a hat, over those three years I probably went to 20 countries by plane, train, boat and automobile --- had a blast, I miss just having my backpack and the freedom it afforded but the bigger backpack of the boat means I have a built in house it was the logical evolution for me, I say start saving HARD by living and working in a cheap country and find a reliable internet connection -- if all you need is a laptop and a flat you'll be fine, live cheap save $$, do some cruising with other folks (preferably young people if possible to see how the other half of cruising lives......poor) check out http://karaka.voila.net/ or S/Y 'KETURAH' for some people you can crew with for a shared expenses sort of arrangement or there are hundreds of boats out there looking for willing and able crew -- good luck
Old 16-06-2010, 21:14   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
One thing overlooked by the replies is that there are definite limits on how long you - as a foreign national - can remain continuously inside a foreign country. That is your Visa limit. For some countries it is around 90 days and others (with renewals) about a year. Then you have to "step outside" for anywhere from a day to half a year before you can return.
- - So this is where living on a cruising vessel has a major advantage over an "apartment," You can take your floating "home/apartment" with you when your visa has expired. Also if you should become "personna non-grata" for any reason you and your boat can leave whereas you might lose your investment in an apartment in that circumstance. Some countries have "volatile" governments and being able to "get out of Dodge" in a hurry with all your stuff is nice.
Old 17-06-2010, 11:10   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Makes sense. Suppose I could put a much smaller amount into crewing / lessons / bareboat charters instead, and gain experience without as many headaches.
Just to say that I don't see staying ashore as 2nd best - either could provide a whole lot of fun and a world of experiances. Having a good prospect of being self funding (and adding to the savings pot?) ashore on your travels not to be sniffed at..........I am sure folks on other forums right now trying to work out how to do exactly that

Being based somewhere for a few months or so (especially 5 streets back from the Touristy areas / the travelling trail - albeit not in a Slum ) yer get to both meet and a chance to know folks.........plusses and minuses to that of course
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 17:12   #23

A LOT of good points here. You guys have been immensely helpful.

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: