Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2010, 17:41   #1

Insuring a Boat on a Mooring

We are in the process of buying a 47' fast trawler and I am looking for insurance. My other boats are insured with BoatUS, so that's where I started, but they told me they would not insure a higher value boat on a mooring - only on at a marina. Personally I'd much rather have my boat on a mooring in a storm than banging against docks, pilings, and other boats.

Has anyone else run into this?
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 17:48   #2

Boat: Boro
yep

I lived on a mooring in western australia and had this same problem.

Unfortunately, our mooring field was renowned for poor mooring maintenence, and every season, without fail, several boats would end up on the beach in a storm.

Unfortunately, one season, a larger boat blew off its mooring, and crashed into the bulk handling warf - the insurance company was also liable for the repair and lost production while the reapairs and salvage were completed to the warf. Much more than the value of the boat.

My insurer cancelled my insurance soon after, and probably insurance of several other vessells in the area.

I ended up going to an insurance broker, who shopped around for me. Eventually, he found me a deal.
billwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 17:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Insurance? what's that? I can't even get insurance down here. I only have liability
Old 30-09-2010, 17:57   #4

You would think a more direct way of dealing with poor moorings would be to require annual inspection reports and have minimum standards for moorings. Our city requires it already, and my mooring guy dives and inspects every year.

I've put out quote requests with a couple of brokers.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 20:12   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Twistedtree:

Contact one of the yacht insurance brokers like IMIS Corp in Maryland. They understand moorings.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 18:39   #6

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
George
How did you find a liability only policy I have been looking for one for a long time and no one wants to sell liability unless I buy hull insurance.
Thanks
Minisailor
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:13   #7

Solo Cruising Liability Only Insurance

I'm starting a solo circumnavigation and have contacted the insurance brokers, including IMIS, about getting liability-only insurance that would allow me to dock in marinas and enter countries requiring such insurance, and have been advised that no insurance of any kind is available to solo sailors. Are there any solo cruisers out there who have been able to get international liability insurance?
caribcaptmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring