Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 06:59   #1

Insurance - survey impossible due to location

My boat is in Puerto Williams, Chile, currently and I am trying to get some sort of 3rd party, rescue and pollution insurance that will satisfy the Chilean authorities. The only company that I have found that will quote is the infamous NorthernReef. All others require a survey. There are no surveyors in this part of the world and flying in an surveyor is out of the question.

Anybody know of any other companies that might consider my case?

The boat is a well found, steel sloop - a trireme 38.

The fact that I don't want to insure the hull but only need the aspects mentioned above should help as surely that is more a factor of skipper/crew experience than whether the boat has had a survey or not.

I could do like everybody else and forge a certificate, but I'd rather have honest insurance!!

Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33   #2
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: Insurance - survey impossible due to location

Forge a certificate, thats the best idea I've heard on CF ever. If everyone here would do the same, maybe we could put those insurance crooks/scumbags outta business. I'm sure many here will disagree, free country though. Just cause 80% of people do something, does not make them right. Most follow the herd, simply because thats what the other guy did.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:44   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Have you tried a "short transit" coverage, just long enough coverage time to get you out of the country? Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Have you tried a "short transit" coverage, just long enough coverage time to get you out of the country? Mauritz
Got any pointers to who might provide such cover?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Forge a certificate, thats the best idea I've heard on CF ever. If everyone here would do the same, maybe we could put those insurance crooks/scumbags outta business. I'm sure many here will disagree, free country though. Just cause 80% of people do something, does not make them right. Most follow the herd, simply because thats what the other guy did.
A lot of people do that of course.

I am happy to sail without insurance, wouldn't mind having 3rd party, but very uncomfortable with presenting a forged document - that could really come and bite you in the arse if there ever is an incident. Don't fancy a South American, or any other, jail!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:52   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I bet an insurance would be happy to take your money and provide you coverage under a forged survey!

This is nothing but a positive cash flow to them with no risk at all!

If you have something happen and make a claim it is just going to get rejected when the false survey comes out!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:09   #7

I would NOT recommend forging any documents. Check with several marinas' "managers" about recommendations for insurance coverage. If that fails, check with auto insurance/general insurance companies. You just want enough coverage to get you out of the country. Good luck! Mauritz
Old 06-01-2013, 08:50   #8

Quote:
I would NOT recommend forging any documents. Check with several marinas' "managers" about recommendations for insurance coverage. If that fails, check with auto insurance/general insurance companies. You just want enough coverage to get you out of the country. Good luck! Mauritz
Agreed Mauritz, but try Googling "Puerto Williams, chile" - it's near Cape Horn, aint no marinas in this part of the world.

Asking the port captain doesn't help because their answer is to look on the internet as that is what everybody does.. the don't know or don't care that people just go and do a quick image editing and print themselves a new certificate.

So suggestions of actual companies would be useful rather than where to look, believe me I have looked, emailed, etc..
Old 06-01-2013, 09:15   #9

Chis, contact this company on Monday; it provides world wide coverage. Find out if it recommends others, if it cannot help you. (It will accept US surveys, for coverage.)
Maritime Insurance, LLC, 17 Lockwood Dr., Charleston, SC 29401; 843.278.4921
Maritime Insurance, LLC - Boat Insurance, Charleston, SC - Home Page
Good luck! Mauritz
Old 06-01-2013, 09:20   #10

Quote:
Chis, contact this company on Monday; it provides world wide coverage. Find out if it recommends others, if it cannot help you. (It will accept US surveys, for coverage.)
Maritime Insurance, LLC, 17 Lockwood Dr., Charleston, SC 29401; 843.278.4921
Maritime Insurance, LLC - Boat Insurance, Charleston, SC - Home Page
Good luck! Mauritz
Thanks I'll drop them a line. I don't have and can't get a survey though; that's a biggy.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31   #11

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
My boat is in Puerto Williams, Chile, currently and I am trying to get some sort of 3rd party, rescue and pollution insurance ....... The only company that I have found that will quote is the infamous NorthernReef.

I know NorthernReef doesn't pay claims, and you wouldn't choose to insure with them, but if they are willing to write it and it lets you leave the country wouldn't that solve the dilemma? Just curious, what did they quote?

Also, insurance is usually prorated if you cancel, so you could use them for your purposes and then move on. I would think it a better solution than forgery, which I understand you are not considering.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Is there no builders in Ushuaia? get them on payment of the appropriate fee to carry out a survey for you. If they are not sure then find an old one and go through the areas covered. Properly typed up on headed paper should do nicely and be a true reflection of the boats condition.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:46   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Yep, had that problem coming to the USA and finally found Al at IMIS he got it for me, the price was right, service great, no survey.

IMIS Home Page ~ International Marine Insurance Services

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:17   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Thanks I'll drop them a line. I don't have and can't get a survey though; that's a biggy.
Have you asked the insurance companies who they would accept as "surveyor" and explained the problem?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:40   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Chris,

We have struggled with this in far less challenging areas than yours. Our issue was not the lack of surveyors but trying to find one that wouldn't charge us a couple of thousand bucks for his services. I can't understand the need for an out-of-the-water survey to write 3d party insurance, but it seems to be required by many insurers. Kinda odd that they need a detailed inspection of your boat but will accept your word that you have experience, don't do drugs, have no history of claims, etc... weird!

In our case, we eventually found an agent for our insurance company who personally came down and looked at the boat, chatted with us for ten minutes and was then willing to vouch for us and the boat to the company. We, of course, now give him our business!

I hope that you can find a suitable coverage. Life was so much simpler when we (like you) were "self insured"!

Cheers,'

Jim

Tags
insurance, survey