Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-04-2012, 15:38   #31
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissi

Remember that health care in France is a right , not a privilege!

For the French yes, others well......

Old 02-05-2012, 07:53   #32

Re: Insurance Recommendations – let’s try to be positive…

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Will not insure American and canadian boats. We sue too much apparently!
That use to be the case many years ago, but now Pantaenius has offices in the United States and can write Americans and Canadians and owners of any nationality and flag and worldwide naviations. www.pantaenius.com

Old 15-06-2012, 18:36   #33

Boat: Dufour35 1982
Re: Insurance Recommendations – Let’s Try to be Positive …

I tried with them and they said no because they where not allowed to insure Canadian Boats? If you check their site they exclude Canada from their coverage.
Old 16-06-2012, 01:36   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific
I tried with them and they said no because they where not allowed to insure Canadian Boats? If you check their site they exclude Canada from their coverage.
Try their American office, Pantaenius American. They can cover Canadian yachts for sure.
Old 16-06-2012, 01:40   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific
You tried the UK office. Try the American of Pantaenius America they write Canadian yachts for sure.
Old 16-06-2012, 03:22   #36

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick

Scatar,

How about giving us some detail about your complaint against Pantaenius rather than just putting them down. If you have a genuine complaints, let's hear it. Otherwise, your comments strike me as libellous.

Regards,

Steve
Old 16-06-2012, 06:06   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we used bill hodgens for a number of years and he was great - you can find him at yachtinsure com -- we moved over to imis when we wanted to 2 hand across the atlantic

just our thoughts
chuck patty and svsoulmates
on the hook bequia
Old 16-06-2012, 09:51   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Pantaenius advised me in a recent email that they will not write anything less than a million dollars in value for a yacht.

That leaves out most of us.
Old 16-06-2012, 10:02   #39

Boat: Dufour35 1982

Hi Cary,

I did you are correct about that, but check your above link American Yacht Insurance and if you can find Canada as one of the countries they cover I will try again.

I do believe that their is another thread about someones ongoing horror story about trying to get settlement with this company on the forum.
Old 16-06-2012, 10:08   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Hi Cary,

I did you are correct about that, but check your above link American Yacht Insurance and if you can find Canada as one of the countries they cover I will try again.

I do believe that their is another thread about someones ongoing horror story about trying to get settlement with this company on the forum.
They are Pantaenius and as I indicated earlier, won't insure a boat under $1 million. I don't know if existing policies are grandfathered, but from an email to me, they won't take on new ones.
Old 16-10-2012, 07:23   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
They are Pantaenius and as I indicated earlier, won't insure a boat under $1 million. I don't know if existing policies are grandfathered, but from an email to me, they won't take on new ones.
Just another data point on Panteneus. Received the following from them:

"Unfortunately due to your navigation and value of your vessel it does not meet out guidelines. Hull value must be $500,000 and over with Caribbean navigation"

This for a U.S. boat with U.S. owner.

Seems their rules change by where you plan on using the boat.
Old 16-10-2012, 07:39   #42

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

HAve you thought of not having insurance? There are many of us in the Caribbean that don't have insurance. A risk, although everything has a risk / benefit ratio.
Old 16-10-2012, 08:16   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I imagine anyone considering insurance has already thought about not having insurance.

With the frequent lightning, intense weather systems, numerous reefs, poorly charted areas, large numbers of charter boats, wide areas of bad people doing bad things and large number of uninsured boatowners in the Caribbean (the above being location dependent of course), insurance in the Caribbean specifically makes more sense to me than in many other places.

One single lightning bolt did over $40k USD damage to us, and that was without installation or other professional involvement in the repairs. The payment on that claim was worth very many years of premiums, and it wasn't even a large claim in the arena of insurance.

What will you do if your actions/inactions or your boat causes damage to another?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 17:15   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
. . . . What will you do if your actions/inactions or your boat causes damage to another?
Mark
This is an age-old quandary - not only for cruisers for for those on land. Folks with little or no exposable assets from a strictly monetary viewpoint have little to gain or lose by not having insurance. Which is probably the motivation for various governmental legislatures making automobile insurance mandatory. But even then the minimum required level amount is so low that should an accident occur the opposing parties rarely resort to lawsuits as there "isn't any money" to be gotten.

Same with cruisers in "paid up" low value boats who are also most probably also in a very low income bracket (if there is any legally visible income at all) - having boat insurance is an expense that is just not cost effective from a strictly financial aspect.

However, if you have a rather large investment in your vessel and/or you have a bank loan on it, then having full insurance (comprehensive and liability) is very advisable, if not also mandatory because of the boat bank loan. However, such policies - as folks on this thread have posted - is not inexpensive and often borders on extremely expensive. [I am talking here about reputable and established insurance companies that actually "pay off" when you have a claim.]

Somewhere in between is the region of "third party/liability only" insurance coverage. For a fraction of what full comprehensive coverage costs you have insurance for when you and/or your vessel does damage to a third party. Also this is normally the minimal acceptable type insurance if you wish to stay in many marinas and/or boatyards.

So you can take care of the moral dilemma quoted above - but at the cost of not being able to be compensated for any damage to you or your vessel.

Some folks seem to travel around with the proverbial "black cloud of doom" following them and incur all sorts of minor or major disasters that perpetually empty their wallets. Here full comprehensive insurance is very advised. Other folk seem to tread a magic path unscathed by the wreckage surrounding them.

But I submit, (without any proof whatsoever) that not having insurance when it is not mandated by bank requirements or just good common sense (e.g., you just purchased a mega-buck catamarran, etc.) is more common "out there" than most folks realize. I sure met an awful lot of old timers who don't or never had any form of insurance and seem to just do fine.

The legal standards and processes for recovering compensation due to a loss in the 3rd World and many other countries makes paying for full insurance not very cost-effective. That is, you are not going to be able to recover anything from the "local" and hopefully you have the foresight to carry "uninsured vessel" coverage as part of your policy.
Old 30-10-2012, 20:23   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym View Post
Just another data point on Panteneus. Received the following from them:

"Unfortunately due to your navigation and value of your vessel it does not meet our guidelines. Hull value must be $500,000 and over with Caribbean navigation"

This for a U.S. boat with U.S. owner.

Seems their rules change by where you plan on using the boat.
Rec'vd almost the exact same msg although they included Hurricane season which was confusing because it begs the question what would the threshold be outside of hurricane season - I asked but did not hear back maybe Hurricane Sandy took away their keyboard.....same US Boat & Owner

Tags
insurance

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: