Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 18:15   #16

I just did this drill, came down between markel and boat us...boat us was 300 dollars cheaper for us, so they got the policy. very easy quote over the phone and used purchase survey. done. also got the towing since I will mostly be in the chesapeake for the next year. 77 dollars for 12 months of towing insurance is a deal!
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:24   #17

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Insurance Recommendations – Let’s Try to be Positive …

Mariners General has good offshore policy competitive rates and a history of good payment.
Old 06-04-2012, 15:17   #18

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

Insurance, what a subject! I was insured with Pantaneus...I found them good to deal with but expensive, and they wanted 3 crew for a passage. I'm now insured with Topsail (UK)...I've found them very easy to deal with, about 2/3 the premium of Pantaneus and require only 2 for passages. I haven't had a claim with either company so have no knowledge on how they pay claims.

Right now I'm looking for a company that with cover my boat on passage when I'm single-handing....any experience/suggestions are welcome?
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 15:44   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I don't think you will find any reputable company that will write passage insurance for a single-hander. However, most will cover the boat when you are "in harbor" and only have one person living on board.

That is one of the reasons I went with "liability only" as coverage for single-handed passages was non-existent, so why pay for it.

I would think theoretically that it would be much more common to "lose" the boat during a passage if only one person was on board, whereas with two people there is somebody to "watch the ship" while the other deals with the emergency.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 22:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otia View Post
I’ve search this forum in hope of sourcing a good, reliable insurer. Mostly I found rants about insurance. I’m starting this thread to ask you all fine cruisers for your recommendations. I’m seeking an insurer that will be there when/if I ever need and that provides no-nonsense coverage. Let’s face it, we all hate to pay for insurance. I think I prefer the dentist… But let’s try to be positive about this necessary evil.

One corollary question I have is how much liability is enough. 1 million seems short to me, considering the multi-million dollar yachts that moor next to me from time to time.

I cruise the Caribbean’s, but I’m Canadian. This year I will leave my s/v in the Caribbean’s. I guess I will have to limit my insurance to the area of interest and change it every year as I cannot find a no-nonsense global coverage. Some insurers limit me in time, they prohibit sailing south of Hatteras from June 1st to November 1st – which I find so stupid, insurers obviously don’t sail. It is extremely hazardous to sail in November in the north east as I again experienced in a really bad storm this past October 30th, between NYC and Chesapeake. Any insurer listening?! Then read about this from the expert, Don Street, a very interesting post on Caribbean Compass this month: READERS' FORUM.

I’ve been reading my current insurance policy carefully, OMG! I admit overlooking it before, just reading the headlines and coverage data. There are so many “ifs” that I might as well not be insured – except for liability. Furthermore, I dealt through a broker whom insured me with a company based in Ukraine… I don’t want to have preconceived opinions, but it does not inspire me confidence. There must be a good US ar Canadian insurer?!

Actually, I’ll go for any no-nonsense policy from a reputable insurer, irrespective of its country of origin. Hence this post, so please let me hear what you have to say.
had the same problem...best insurance for Canadians - not americans unfortunatly- is through the sailing association SAIL THE WORLD or stw.fr...tour du monde TDM will allow you to be anywhere if you live on your boat, no hurricane zone limitation...for a lot less than any north american cie!the association has about 500 members..so better rates and offers health plans ex allianz emergency world wide care for about 500/year, covers from first dollar even medications like antibiotics.
since you re from montreal...you must be able to read french?
bon vent!
sissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 22:06   #21

Re: Insurance Recommendations – let’s try to be positive…

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
If your boat is in North America or the Caribbean, they won't touch anything under a $1 million in value as per personal communication to them 6 weeks ago.
actually they gave me a quote for a 720k boat today...9k for my boat in usa or carribean
there is SAIL THE WORLD on stw.fr offering round the world boat insurance, with no zone restrictions in hurricane season but only for europeans or canadians, for less!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sissi

actually they gave me a quote for a 720k boat today...9k for my boat in usa or carribean
there is SAIL THE WORLD on stw.fr offering round the world boat insurance, with no zone restrictions in hurricane season but only for europeans or canadians, for less!
We're obviously better sailors that's all. ......!!

Dave
Old 10-04-2012, 18:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissi View Post
had the same problem...best insurance for Canadians - not americans unfortunatly- is through the sailing association SAIL THE WORLD or stw.fr...tour du monde TDM will allow you to be anywhere if you live on your boat, no hurricane zone limitation...for a lot less than any north american cie!the association has about 500 members..so better rates and offers health plans ex allianz emergency world wide care for about 500/year, covers from first dollar even medications like antibiotics.
since you re from montreal...you must be able to read french?
bon vent!
Sorry ...the association stw has 5000 members, not 500!
Old 11-04-2012, 16:55   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
We're obviously better sailors that's all. ......!!

Dave
Nah, we just have better lawyers,
Old 12-04-2012, 15:00   #25
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Nah, we just have better lawyers,
That's not exactly an oxymoron, but there must be another word for it
Old 12-04-2012, 16:00   #26

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive never carried hull ins. just Liabilty, never had a claim against me as yet so I think Ive saved about a couple hundred thousand by now over 50 years, always had Ins for deliverys, but never on my own boats! Just to expensive for us to cruise where and when we want anytime we want ! so just the Libilty for us !Of course we have never had a lien holder to satisfy ! so have been lucky!
Old 29-04-2012, 01:11   #27

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
Pantaenius of Germany - Best going and sensible.
Will not insure American and canadian boats. We sue too much apparently!
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 01:25   #28

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissi View Post
Sorry ...the association stw has 5000 members, not 500!
FOund the site, can anglo Canadians Join :-) Seems almost too good to be true! $500 and health insurance as well! Got to get someone to ead the page now LOL

Thanks
Steve
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 04:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
FOund the site, can anglo Canadians Join :-) Seems almost too good to be true! $500 and health insurance as well! Got to get someone to ead the page now LOL

Thanks
Steve
Of course! they accept all canadians...and there are quite a few already as members.
If you call ANP insurance (their broker) in marseille...they speak english .
They have the best round the world insurance...and have special lower rate for the east carribeanthan TDM tour du monde=round the world.
ex 375k usd, costs 1200 euros per year if you sail in europe, eastern car or "antilles". about double, round the world about 3x so 3600 euro per year, no restrictions,you can be anywhere during hurricanes if you live on the boat.

WE had to use the emergency health care plan by alliance world wide care and yes it covers from the 1st dollar up to 250 000 per year.
It is a must for any boater out of canada.You have to be a member of the association to get this deal, which you can do easily on line or with ANP, about 50 euro/year...well worth it...lots of info, chats, help from association...

Remember that health care in France is a right , not a privilege!

I have seen a similar plan, allianz world wide care, through pantaneus, that covers not only emergencies...and would cover you during 3 months if you have to get back to canada but at 1570 euros per year.

the site is in french but your insurance cover letter will be in english if you want.
Old 29-04-2012, 04:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Will not insure American and canadian boats. We sue too much apparently!
pantaneus america will insure canadians or americans (I got a quote) but I do not know the differences in their contracts...

Tags
insurance