Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2011, 12:52   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Insurance in the Med

Hello:

I am investigating the cost of keeping a boat in the Med for a few years. The boat will be a US Flagged vessel with VAT paid. I plan on getting liability insurance but not comprehensive. I don't know how it works b/c I plan on keeping the boat in Spain one year and then Italy the next then Greece the next. So Where do I get insurance or do I need to get different insurance for each country? Anybody with info on this that is willing to share? I'd appreciate it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 16:26   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Generally it one insurance plan you specify the cruising area and they work out the cost. It's a good idea to get the document translated into greek , spainish

Dave
Old 21-02-2011, 10:01   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Re: Insurance in the Med

Quote:
I don't know how it works b/c I plan on keeping the boat in Spain one year and then Italy the next then Greece the next. So Where do I get insurance or do I need to get different insurance for each country? Anybody with info on this that is willing to share? I'd appreciate it.
Yes, there are quite a few companies that write a European & Mediterranean navigation policy. And they know that when they issue the policy for the Med that you will need a multilingual certificate which shows the level of yoru insurance in a bunch of langues. In my experience, Greece has the tightest requirements, usually we write those policies with $500,000 in P&I (or third Party Liability) coverage.
Old 06-03-2011, 17:06   #4

Boat: 1999 Bavaria 42' 'RUMBA'
Re: Insurance in the Med

I purchased a boat in Croatia last year and plan to keep it in the Med for another season before sailing back stateside. It was insured by the previous owner with Yacht-Pool. I had them make up another policy for me to cover my sailing over there, also 3rd party liability etc. Tho for Italian waters you need to up the 3rd party to $2million Euro. But this company is very nice, they have given me a very fair rate. Here is their info. Good luck. You can mention me I guess as I have just sent them some money my agent is called Brigita. John Bramley CA boat RUMBA>
Cheers .

YACHT-POOL Hrvatska
e-mail is info@yacht-pool.com.hr
Rumba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance