Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-07-2009, 03:13   #16

As a new comber to sailing in fact looking for a boat soon in the next couple of months in florida, I checked out progressive quote yesturday just on a random sail boat, with a zip code Indiantown, FL 34956.
The quote was for a 1974 sloop around 22,500, diesel engine, and 35 feet. The down payment was 477 and the monthly payment was 277.00 for 12 months. or around 2600 for a year.
This included a nautical range of 125 miles which included the bahamas.
The 75 mile nautical range was without power or installed engine. On a power boat if it had only one engine it covered only 75 miles and 125 miles if 2 engines.
When, I put in primary residence, the boat was uninsureable.

Old 23-07-2009, 16:28   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomber View Post
As a new comber to sailing in fact looking for a boat soon in the next couple of months in florida, I checked out progressive quote yesturday just on a random sail boat, with a zip code Indiantown, FL 34956.
The quote was for a 1974 sloop around 22,500, diesel engine, and 35 feet. The down payment was 477 and the monthly payment was 277.00 for 12 months. or around 2600 for a year.
This included a nautical range of 125 miles which included the bahamas.
The 75 mile nautical range was without power or installed engine. On a power boat if it had only one engine it covered only 75 miles and 125 miles if 2 engines.
When, I put in primary residence, the boat was uninsureable.
If you are considering them, I think you need to check into a few things in more detail. The range of coverage they have always quoted me is from U.S. shore, not any shore. Talking in person, they have always quoted me 75 miles for a 30 foot sloop with a single inboard. However, even at 125 miles from the U.S., most of the Bahamas would be outside the covered area. Maybe they've changed things, but be sure to ask. I'd hate to hear of someone finding out the hard way, they misunderstood their covered area.

Old 23-07-2009, 17:35   #18

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
It is very hard to comment on reports from what someone heard maybe/if happened to someone else regarding insurance coverage.
So I'll just concentrate on my experiences and what other cruisers experiences were while cruising in the Caribbean for nine years. I'll qualifiy this by stating that this is mom and pop cruisers that travel the world and are on their boats 24/7/365, and everything they own is on the boat, and the boat is paid for. We never insured our boats.

Others who are on what is to be considered extended vacations, for a short period of their lives, and return to a world of possessions, and share ownership of their boats with a bank, never really experience the total independence of cruising. They must insure themseleves against loss.

I won't pass judgement on either group.

As a singlelhandler, every policy I looked at demanded "proper crew" of at least three adults while sailing further than 25 miles from the US, unless I paid a deductable that amounted to almost half the value of the boat. In addition a dry survey by an approved survayor was required every two years. So I went without insurance and when I was rammed in the Bahamas this spring, I had no compensation. It was my choice.

My advice would be to ignore what is heard third hand and to read your insurance policy with care and decide for yourself if the terms are aceptable for your situation.

Most long term cruisiers don't have medical insurance either, but that's another topic..
John
Old 23-07-2009, 18:11   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
When I was with progressive a couple of years ago the coverage was for 75 miles off shore and outside the territorial waters of another country. basically when you got into bahamian territorial waters you no longer had coverage. Are you people who are currently reporting 75 and 125 miles for progressive sure they dropped the territorial waters clause?
Old 23-07-2009, 18:32   #20

I just put what i was quoted as per my reply. What I was told is what they said. It is to ones own to do due diligence.

I was just replying to the orginal post and giving the rough estimate of what I revieved for a quote.
Old 25-07-2009, 01:53   #21

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
Newcomber, check IMIS. My coverage, with Jackline, allows a crew of two. It allows me to go to Acapulco, it allows me to go to Cape Spencer, AK with that crew of two, on a 33' sailboat that I live on, that has an engine, for less than 1700k. If I want to go to Hawaii that way, add $1400 more. Survey required each 5 years. Replacement value on many important things. Pricey, but for me -- this boat is my home, is all that I have, and for now, is worth insuring. As we start traveling more and rates go up......we'll make that choice when we get there.
Old 26-07-2009, 20:00   #22

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quite an interesting site! I'm looking to buy a 35 footer before Spring and had planned to do some single-handing, from LA down to Mexico for a season and then so'west through the Pacific. Is it possible or rather even reasonably affordable to purchase insurance that would pay while single-handing? I've read cruisers say that without crew and a human on constant watch, the Ins.Cos would not payoff on a policy.

Edit: I didn't see the page two comments by John A, whose story I may have read in Latitude 38.
Old 29-07-2009, 22:21   #23
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
If you are considering them, I think you need to check into a few things in more detail. The range of coverage they have always quoted me is from U.S. shore, not any shore. Talking in person, they have always quoted me 75 miles for a 30 foot sloop with a single inboard. However, even at 125 miles from the U.S., most of the Bahamas would be outside the covered area. Maybe they've changed things, but be sure to ask. I'd hate to hear of someone finding out the hard way, they misunderstood their covered area.
We are agents for Progressive. I've seen a number of comments on their policy, so I thought I should clarify:
Yes, they will cover you for up to 125 miles from the USA (additional premium above the rate for the standard 75 mile limit) However, please note that the maximum hull length for Progressive is 35 feet. They also have restrictions on hull value and vessel age.

Fair Winds,
Susan
IMIS

TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: