Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2010, 13:01   #1

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Insurance for Liveaboards

Have put down $$ and in process for purchasing a boat to live aboard in the Pacific NW - Washington State. Survey and sea trials next week.

We are doing the google search routine for an insurer and keep learning that insurance companies don't insure live aboards. Rats!

So far, have found that Boat US will provide a quote but not Progressive Or Geico and some others. I imagine that Boat US is the gold standard for boat insurance; although Boat US may not insure us when we want to take the boat to Alaska next season. sighhhh. we will have to qualify and be reviewed on a separate case basis for that additional insurance.

Please let us know if you can point us in the direction of a good insurance company that insures live aboard boats. Any advice on insurers for cruising Alaska would also be appreciated.

Any advice for preparing ourselves to be insurable for sailing Alaskan waters also would be appreciated. If we are insurable, we are also safer. We took the coast guard auxillary course 20 years ago.

Thanks for all your help.

regards,

First Mate
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 17:20   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
It sounds like you don't have much experience, that will greatly affect where you can go and who will insure you. BoatUS insures for Bahamas, Canada, so I think they would insure for Alaska, BUT not for your experience level. They have an excellent rep for customer service, but they run a little more than expensive others, you get what you pay for.
Might want to spend a few years in California-Washington area before heading for Alaska waters.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 11:10   #3

insurance quotes and experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
It sounds like you don't have much experience, that will greatly affect where you can go and who will insure you. BoatUS insures for Bahamas, Canada, so I think they would insure for Alaska, BUT not for your experience level. They have an excellent rep for customer service, but they run a little more than expensive others, you get what you pay for.
Might want to spend a few years in California-Washington area before heading for Alaska waters.
Tom

Hi Tom

the agent I spoke with did not provide clues as to what is required to get the additional coverage for a trip to Alaska. He just noted that Boat US only insures to north end of Vancouver Island and after that, insured on a case by case basis.

As I told the agent, we have 15 years of boating experience, 6 of which were in Puget Sound south of Seattle. The remainder were in South Florida and included boats 36' and 32' in length. We are purchasing a 42' boat this week.

We quit sailing in 2002 because we moved to a land locked area. Now we are retired and returning to boating.

As we learned when we boated years ago in Puget Sound, the waters up here in Puget Sound have swift currents and spectacular tidal changes. It is also deathly cold water. I'm sure that the Inside Passage and Alaskan waters are far more treacherous and the winds more unpredictable. Help is probably more scare in the event of an emergency. It is not a place for the unprepared.

I'm going to research some old posts I made a couple of years ago requesting insurance info. It had just been a while since I posted, as our boat search has had some side tracks. I figured the old info in those posts probably needed updating. Plus this is a different area from where we were looking then.

Thanks for your response anyway. I was hoping someone might have some specific info on this area for insurers and ways to get some specialized training for these waters. Plus, I really need to know who insures liveaboards specifically. It would save me some time researching.

I imagine sailing in Alaska is a different kettle of fish from anywhere we have ever sailed. I would truly appreciate some heads up advice on the challenges there from anyone who has ever sailed those waters with regularity.

very best regards,

Laura
Old 22-08-2010, 13:06   #4
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Boat US is gold standard, as you suggest. Big mistake to go with non-maritime company. Say you lose all your worldly goods in a typhoon that levels half the city. BoatUS gives priority to boaters; other companies will probably give priority to their homeowner policyholders.
Old 22-08-2010, 13:10   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
IMIS Home Page

Al Golden is a long time boater. He definitely can help.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 14:14   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Boat US is gold standard, as you suggest.
With all due respect I beg to differ. Boat/US is fine for inshore boaters. If you have a larger or longer range boat there are other choices. IMIS will help you find those choices.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 15:22   #7

Boat: Swan 57
BoatUS's underwriter wouldn't deal with us... they have some sort of limit that kicks in at $250k or more.

I asked around with people that had boats much nicer than mine, and Pantaenius kept coming up... 57' Swan/$2200 for the year. The agent I dealt with told me that if I flipped the boat upside down, shook it, then set it on fire... they'd cut a check, minus the deductible.

I haven't yet had occasion to make a claim, but again, amongst the people I'd sampled that had, it was a very straightforward process and with very little haggling, checks were cut. We're new at this (as in zero experience, first boat), and I don't know if I could have saved a bit by going with someone else... but if something really, really bad happens and my mast is the only thing left sticking out of the water... the last thing I want to do is haggle with someone over the check -- that'd so take the fun out of shopping for the next one.

By the way, after four months of once a week day-trips in all kinds of weather learning how (and how not) to do things... this weekend marks our first overnighter on the hook, just the two of us... we made 7.5-8.5 knots out of ~10 knot headwinds, enjoyed a wonderful dinner in a pretty place -- and had a blast doing it... We love living on this boat. BEST. HOUSE. EVER.
jallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 16:36   #8

Boat: Cooper 416
Call Kathleen Craven 425-334-7200 ext 223
Craven Insurance
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 17:11   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
For many years we had a Quartermaster liveaboard policy through Zurich. It gave essentially the same coverage as a homeowner's policy, even covering theft away from the boat, et cetera. Unfortunately, Zurich got out of the business a year ago, and we have not yet been able to find anything to replace that policy.

Any liveaboards out there with something suitable?
Old 23-08-2010, 12:28   #10

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
What do you need insurance for? The captain goes down with the ship.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 13:27   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Try these folks:

IMIS Jackline Insurance Program
Old 23-08-2010, 13:41   #12

Boat: Cabo Rico
These guys do a lot of marine insurance
www.jackmartin.com
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 23:18   #13

will give these firms a shout tomorrow and the next day while boat sale closes. Thanks very much for the referrals.
Old 20-08-2012, 16:41   #14

Re: Insurance for Liveaboards

I hate to resurrect old threads and being the new guy around here doesnt help much either. Apparently Wellsfargo has taken over Zurichs insurance and they are now offering The Quartermaster Yacht Policy.

I found it while looking for live aboard insurance if I manage to purchase this dang boat I have been after for the last month...its all about waiting on the bank these days.

https://wfis.wellsfargo.com/ProductS...oard%20Yachts/
TaylorthePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 20:32   #15

Boat: SeaRay 440 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallum
BoatUS's underwriter wouldn't deal with us... they have some sort of limit that kicks in at $250k or more.

I asked around with people that had boats much nicer than mine, and Pantaenius kept coming up... 57' Swan/$2200 for the year. The agent I dealt with told me that if I flipped the boat upside down, shook it, then set it on fire... they'd cut a check, minus the deductible.

I haven't yet had occasion to make a claim, but again, amongst the people I'd sampled that had, it was a very straightforward process and with very little haggling, checks were cut. We're new at this (as in zero experience, first boat), and I don't know if I could have saved a bit by going with someone else... but if something really, really bad happens and my mast is the only thing left sticking out of the water... the last thing I want to do is haggle with someone over the check -- that'd so take the fun out of shopping for the next one.

By the way, after four months of once a week day-trips in all kinds of weather learning how (and how not) to do things... this weekend marks our first overnighter on the hook, just the two of us... we made 7.5-8.5 knots out of ~10 knot headwinds, enjoyed a wonderful dinner in a pretty place -- and had a blast doing it... We love living on this boat. BEST. HOUSE. EVER.
Hey Jallum,
Congrats! It's been a while since your great night out, I just saw your post. I agree with your enthusiasm, aren't boats great? The thing I really love is that is a new adventure every time you cast off the lines. My wife and I have enjoyed boating in the CA delta for 6 years, in 3 or 4 years when I retire, we'll be living aboard...... Can't wait!!!
jmcdboater is offline   Reply With Quote