Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2008, 18:55   #31

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
Wow, I am taken a back. This is really great info., and all from the dumbest post ever to this site.

To all of you open minded posters, my friend, has just informed me that he has the letter from Progressive and should have it to me tomorrow. He claims that they have accused him of having a commercial vessel. He has tried to explain, without success thus far, that documentation is not specifically related to commercial vessels. His boat is a Pearson 365.

Seriously, they seem to be somewhat confused by this marine insurance business.

He may be posting to the site in the near future as I have just sent the info to him.

Poor guy only has 14 days left on the policy.
Old 31-05-2008, 19:00   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
His boat is a Pearson 365.
I supose it could be commercial but I sure can't see how. Sometimes when things go bad they don't get better. If he has a recent marine survey there are other agents in the sea. Actually my Allstate agent was pretty good. Not all general insurance agents miss the boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 19:15   #33

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
You are so right Paul. We too have Allstate and they have been just great so far. I get concerned when renewal time arrives as our boat is over 30, and we had a small claim because of Katrina.

We had a house claim too. That was a Chinese fire drill, but we were satisfied in the end. The boat was first class from day one. It was difficult to believe we were dealing with the same company for both.
Old 31-05-2008, 20:10   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

An insurer who doesn't understand what they are insuring, should be avoided like the plague.

I spoke to a Progressive auto agent last fall after being told they issue "agreed value" coverage. Nice guy, nice long chat, and it turns out they will SELL you "agreed value" but the fine print says they will pay "Agreed value OR...." and if you've agreed to a value that is less than what they call market price? You get the short end of the stick, after paying the premium based on the higher agreed value. Needless to say they didn't get my business.

If they don't understand what "agreed value" is, and they don't understand what a documented vessel means...Maybe they are best left to their primary market: Ordinary cars. (Although, their injured-in-the-crash pet medical coverage is a nice perq.<G>)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 22:18   #35

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
Again, I will recommend IMIS (IMIS Home Page) not solely for coverage, but for good advice on what to look for and what to avoid. Our agent is Susan, and I have to admit that I have a fear, loathing and distrust of insurance companies, but in looking for our coverage, she taught me a lot and gave me a ton of info to make good choices so that I got what I wanted, not what someone wanted to pay me. I believe she can shop coverage for you at a variety of underwriters, but can also steer you to who will give you what you want.

Tags
documentation