Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2009, 18:54   #1

If You Were to Cruise on $500 / Person / Month...

What areas in the world would be the ideal places to cruise on a micro budget? Lets assume you are starting out with a 27ish foot, blue water capable boat, in excellent condition...
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 19:45   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
south pacific islands not normally in the path of tourist traffic. With populations of less than 500 per island, max. More of a family atmosphere and less of a tourist trap... but you'll need to make a few minor adjustments to your lifestyle I imagine.
Old 26-12-2009, 20:08   #3

Boat: Tayana 48
Anticipated headcount is critical here. If just you, $500 per month probably wouldn't cut it, because your "allowance" would be made to bear the full brunt of all boat-related expenses (along with your personal, entertainment-related costs).
If you are cruising with 2 or more, these boat-costs will be absorbed by the multiple allowances, thus leaving more $ in everyone's allowance for food/entertainment/drink, etc.
Case Study...my family of 4 (2 small kids) are just wrapping up a 2.5 year cruise in the South Pacific. Except when in New Zealand getting boat-projects done, we have never spent more that 2,000 (500 per person) per month. Usually quite a bit less.

HIH
John
Old 26-12-2009, 21:05   #4

I see that Meridian regarding the expenses. But my boat would be quite a bit smaller than yours, so that should off-set the boat expenses quite a bit. A lone old man who has few luxuries, should be able to exist down there on the cheap. Buying a small boat with new rigging, motor, and sails should help with the boat expenses for a couple years.
Old 26-12-2009, 22:10   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek1 View Post
I see that Meridian regarding the expenses. But my boat would be quite a bit smaller than yours, so that should off-set the boat expenses quite a bit. A lone old man who has few luxuries, should be able to exist down there on the cheap. Buying a small boat with new rigging, motor, and sails should help with the boat expenses for a couple years.
Exist?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 01:05   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
EXIST yes live no
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 01:18   #7

Boat: Tayana 48
Trebek1
you are, of course, correct that bigger boats, unfortunately, sometimes require bigger expenditures. I was attempting to point out that a $500 per-person budget will go further with more people on board.
As old adages go, this is a pretty good one..."it will cost as much as you have".
Best of luck,
John
Old 27-12-2009, 01:35   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
What areas in the world would be the ideal places to cruise on a micro budget? Lets assume you are starting out with a 27ish foot, blue water capable boat, in excellent condition...
Summer, Scotland (free moorings) with an air rifle and fishing rod to supplement the food bill. Possible trips to and around the Baltic, Denmark, Sweden and Poland again lots of islands and free moorings. Make a few $ on the side by moving hard spirits from Denmark to Norway to help offset the cost of cruising there (Norway very expensive).

Winter down to Morocco and Tunisia for the warmth via the French canal network which is free, helping to pick grapes on the way.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 03:02   #9

We've already discussed the $500 figure on the other thread I believe. And we determined that some people require much more than $500 monthly to get by (I know I would require more than that). The purpose of this thread is geared more towards finding out good cruising routes for the frugal sailor.

Pete... I love your ideas! A bit a smuggling and gull hunting...lol!
Old 27-12-2009, 04:26   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
EXIST yes live no
Sad uneeded statement Ram. I believe you were part of the other $500 thread.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 05:25   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Pete... I love your ideas! A bit a smuggling and gull hunting...lol!
In fact you could set up quite a profitable little business there. Several cases of real Russian Vodka and beluga caviar to West Germany, Duty free Irish Whiskey from West Germany to Norway, Smoked Salmon from Norway back to Russia for the Neauvou elite You wouldn't need to kick the arse out of it, just fill the forepeak.

For the winter cruise again Norway smoked Salmon down to France and Spain, Scottish Whisky for the Arabs in North Africa to pay for your winter moorings. Dates from North Africa back to the Paris and London markets.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 05:45   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If your boat is ready with newer equipment. If you sail conservatively without breaking items. You go without insurance, and the boat is paid for. There are many places $500.00 a month will do & your life can damned near luxurious.

The biggest problem may be getting there. Where are you starting from? What experience do you have? What is EXISTING to one person is living the SIMPLE LIFE to another person. Some find life quite fulfilling just gunkholing undersail, and seeing what's in the next anchorage........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 06:40   #13
CLOD

Boat: none
Always seems that what you are going to DO and not just WHERE is question. If you are just anchored etc and basically just living on the boat any thrid world location is easy. There are still places when the average income is much less than $500/mo.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 06:47   #14

Boat: csy 37
from what i've heard, but don't know from personal experience, turkey would be a good place. friends lived on their boat at marmaris marina, a 40 footer, and paid i think 250 u.s. dollars a month including water and electric. a 27 footer should be a bit cheaper. food, they told me, is so cheap it's almost free. can some of our european friends comment on this??

you might also want to consider the very country you live in now. with all that local knowledge you might do better right where you are. of course then you wouldn't be cruising, just living a low cost life.

i know two cruisers who live on their boats here in florida that have less income then that. but they also pick up occasional jobs, they do travel up and down the coast from time to time (one just went to new england and back for the summer) and, most importantly, they have local knowledge. know where to find things cheap or free, have a small group of friends that can lend a hand when needed....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 06:58   #15

Pete, Your going to make a smuggler out of me! You seem to know quite a bit on the subject...hehehe..

Imagine: I completely agree with you. I prefer the term "Simple life" in fact I've lived the "Simple Life" for 15 years as a school teacher, even raising three kids alone in the process. I managed to save and travel outside the US every other year. Now that the last one is about to graduate I want to live my dream and sail around the Pacific until the kitty runs out, then grab another teaching job for a year and sail some more.
I have been an avid sailer since age 11, with experience sailing and crewing for many boats, I've owned many boats, I haven't crossed an ocean yet.
The plan is to spend no more than $20,000 on an older seaworthy boat in the 25 - 30 foot range, which will need to be in excellent seaworthy condition. I want to buy the boat in Southern California or Mexico and spend the first year doing sea trials, before making a crossing to the islands. From there..... who knows. I will only have 20 grand once the boat is purchased and outfitted, so the frugal life will be for me. I would like to make the Kitty last two years, before working again. Many schools in Asia are hiring experienced teachers, so finding work won't be an issue.

The other idea would be to fly to NZ and buy a boat there (they got some reasonably priced, cool looking boats in NZ), and cruise that area for a shake down, then heading North from there.