Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2009, 01:10   #31

Quote:
Are you suggesting that those locals would be maintaining a sail boat that is suitable for SAFE cruising......
Also they have local support in the way of extended family that provide other resources to supplement the $2 a day.....food from the garden, a chicken once and a while...shelter.....
i reread the previous posts before that one and don't get the post you were responding to. Who suggested that the locals maintain a sail boat that was suitable for safe cruising?? Not taking the piss my friend just curious about wtf your speaking of?
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 02:14   #32

Food = $2 a day in cetain countries, sailboats are extra

I want to hear more about smuggling (not the illeagal drug type), I'm sure there are lots of items that legally can be bought in one country and sold in another country while in route, do cruisers take advantage of these items to make a profit? It seems like all I hear about is just food.

Will someone please start a 'Smuggerls R Us' thread? (for legal items)
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 02:34   #33

Never mind: Two charged with smuggling Cuban rum, cigars into Southwest Florida» Naples Daily News
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 02:46   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
$500 a month is a huge pile of money for cruising in areas where people live on $2 a day. Saying it is not enough, in areas where the locals have so little, seems a bit arrogant. Learn from them.
Some places have high fees for cruisers. Avoid them.
I was just thinking that the boat was missing from Brent’s equation.
But no matter...I'm sure that given the right circumstances and level of fortitude that someone could get by with $500….but probably not most people….and I’m way to soft for that now.

As far as the Arctic goes Your absolutely right....it is magnificent to say the least.
I'm from Fairbanks Alaska and have been fortunate to travel and work all over our great state in my ah..youth-er... youth

Being on my boat is about being very comfortable.
My boat and I are no longer fitted out for that climate.

For those who are I would highly recommend a trip up there.

Home port of Arctic Lady is Juneau Alaska
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	igloo Lebanon.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	12202  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 03:00   #35

Quote:
Martin Sengseis, 43, and Douglas Hiner, 68, face up to 20 years in a federal prison if convicted of the smuggling charge.
for a few cigars and some rum??? Damn what is this world coming to?
Old 29-12-2009, 11:17   #36

Boat: Careel 22
That Bloody Big Old Tri

G'day mates,

For those of you with the spirit of "Free Interprise "this is the "Bloody Big Old Tri" I was refering to. She would be a good size for those with a free interprise spirit
She's still for sale in North Queensland...Where it's nice and warm all year round. Aparently she needs work so she's selling cheep...I know nothing about Tri's or sailing in general, apart from what others have told me. I'm a retired seaman but no sailor and there is a "big" difference
She's 50' so, from what I've read, you would need to avoid using marienas. If marienas charge $150 per week for a 45' mono MV, I think they would charge double that for a 50' Tri.
As for this Tri's being suitable for "blue water" sailing, you will need to get that advice from others...With experience of these vessels. I believe other members of this fourm have bought, renovated and live aboard quite large Pivers but I do not know if the owners plan on living the life of a "go-anywhere" sailor of sailing local waters on weekends and holidays.

Bill
Old 29-12-2009, 11:27   #37
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
seeems like quite the bargin at around $22k-- depending on what work needs to be done
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 12:40   #38

I could smuggle a village in that monster! I wonder how tough it would be single handing it? Thanks Billau, thats a hell of a boat. Built in 78' too, so some of the issues with the older Pivers might be corrected. I knew a fellow who claimed to have made a bit of money smuggling lumber (teak, mahogony?)from the Honduras to Texas in his big old homebuilt cat.

Take that Barstard to New Guinea fill it with wood, bring her back to Oz. If you get searched tell the authorities that the wood is "spare parts"!
Old 29-12-2009, 12:56   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek1 View Post
for a few cigars and some rum??? Damn what is this world coming to?
Not the brightest bunch were they Trying to smuggle stuff from Cuba to the US and the quantity involve, 27K cigars, you can hardly claim they are for personal consumption can you.
Now the Arctic, how much do white Polar Bear skins fetch in NY
Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 16:22   #40

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
If I had a budget of $500/mo and the boat you describe I would head straight for Mexico and the Sea of Cortez. Anchor out, don't beat the boat up and eat like the locals and you might be hard-put to spend all that loot.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 20:02   #41

Boat: a sailing boat
"Cheap":
- anywhere with free anchorage, no entry / dept / cruising and visa charges,
- where staple food is cheap or could be brought in from previous destination,
- where no spares are available.

The actual spots vary a lot with your boat's nationality and your passport. E.g. for me French Polynesia dirt cheap, for a US citizen there is the bond, etc..

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 21:56   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Cruise the Sea of Cortez Mexico....$500...piece of cake.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 22:36   #43

For an American, the Sea of Cortez would be tough to beat cost wise. Plus, nice people, great food, a three hundred dollar plane ticket for home visits.
Old 30-12-2009, 01:54   #44

Boat: Ketch, Motor Sail, 46 foot, Bayula
Send a message via Skype™ to hughhendry
Asia

Quote:
What areas in the world would be the ideal places to cruise on a micro budget? Lets assume you are starting out with a 27ish foot, blue water capable boat, in excellent condition...
Asia is your answer, life on 500$ is quite easy, but getting there may cost you more. Most landlubbers in Asia live on 500$ easily, so you should also. You may live in a marina full time, do some English teaching for a few $'s but your life would be good, sailing tremendous, and quality of life high Thailand and Thai Gulf area are great to sail, and very very cheap.
hughhendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 02:20   #45

Boat: Careel 22
That Big Old Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
seeems like quite the bargin at around $22k-- depending on what work needs to be done
G'day Ram, I talked with the owner today, he says the Piver is sitting in a Cane-field along side a deep water creek, just waiting for someone to buy and repair it. I think the cost for keeping it in the field is $3750AU pear year. She has been in the field for a while. He says he will not budge below his asking price of $25,000, even though the Piver has a lot of rot, her deck needs replacing, windows need doing and cross-beams have rot in them. He told me it would take hard work and around $20,000 in materials to sort her out, so for a total of $45,000AU the buyer would have a $100,000 plus vessel. He also informed me that he had set her up for single handed sailing and had sailed her up and down the North Coast of Queensland for a number of years on his own.

So if you still think she's a great buy...Go for it with my blessing It's too much hard work for an old kipper like me.

Quote:
I could smuggle a village in that monster! I wonder how tough it would be single handing it? Thanks Billau, thats a hell of a boat. Built in 78' too, so some of the issues with the older Pivers might be corrected. I knew a fellow who claimed to have made a bit of money smuggling lumber (teak, mahogony?)from the Honduras to Texas in his big old homebuilt cat.

Take that Barstard to New Guinea fill it with wood, bring her back to Oz. If you get searched tell the authorities that the wood is "spare parts"!
Same goes for you Trebek1, if you think she's the Tri for you...Go for it with my blessing It's too much hard work for an old kipper like me.

Bill