Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 13:01   #16

Re: I know a sailor so cheap he....

I know a sailor so cheap he fixes his own boat and refuses to hire a captain and cook!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 13:23   #17

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

I know a sailor so cheap he uses garden hose as fuel hose, and instead of buying a new bolt to install his alternator, he uses nylon tie wraps.
His boat is painted with house paint.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 08-02-2015, 14:03   #18

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

I knew a sailor so cheap that he didn't put a head in his half a million dollar sailboat. He cruised with his wife and kids for two years. No facilities.
I knew a sailor so cheap he wore his work uniform sailing. In fact he wore his work uniform even on his days off and for all I know slept in it.
I knew a sailor so cheap he bought his underwear from the surplus sale from the local jail.
I knew a sailor so cheap that when he drove his car he refused to use the electric turn signals because he wanted to economize.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 08-02-2015, 14:21   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I'm so cheap I bought a waterfront house on a canal so I could have free moorage with free Dungeness crabs in season.
I've been bouncing that idea around
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 14:36   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
I knew a sailor so cheap that he didn't put a head in his half a million dollar sailboat. He cruised with his wife and kids for two years. No facilities.
I knew a sailor so cheap he wore his work uniform sailing. In fact he wore his work uniform even on his days off and for all I know slept in it.
I knew a sailor so cheap he bought his underwear from the surplus sale from the local jail.
I knew a sailor so cheap that when he drove his car he refused to use the electric turn signals because he wanted to economize.

Hey, I can better that! Cruised with wife and kids far longer with no facilities (well, had a spare bucket, but lost it). And my boat is far from a half-million job.
I live and sleep in my work uniform--haven't bought a t-shirt in 20+years!
No underwear for as long as I haven't bought a t-shirt. Shhhhhh! Don't tell me mum!
Didn't even own a car while cruising--there's a moneysaver!
Got a job at a boat shop so I could have free oak scraps to burn for the winter.
Still, whenever I think I'm the most frugal sailor I know, I meet someone who's bumming about in a half salvaged boat with a busted transmission and baggy sails, and realize that for all my cheapness I'm still willing to put money and effort into my boat, and I do not polish up old SS screws.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 15:07   #21

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

I know sailors so cheep they won't wear clothes while sailing

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 15:33   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
Ohh nasty. You win. That's cheaper than my mates. They just go without.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 18:47   #23

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I knew a marina manager that said they loved power boaters. They come in, they pay for a slip, they fill up their boat with fuel, they eat at the restaurant. Meanwhile a cheap sailboater comes in with a $20 bill and an old t-shirt, and doesn't change either one while there!
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:01   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
.......... If you'd rather spend a couple of bucks than spend half an hour polishing screws, you might be a power boater.
That would be me.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:22   #25

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

I know a sailor so cheap he asked me to help him work on his boat

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:47   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
If you'd rather spend a couple of bucks than spend half an hour polishing screws, you might be a power boater.

I wouldn't, but half the damn time I can't find similar replacements (why isn't the US metric? Why?)

and:
I know a sailor so tight you can't pull a needle out his ass with a tow truck
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:58   #27

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

I know one that's so cheap he only eats twice a day,mooches free beer from the marina office,wears underwear several days without changing, lowers himself to working on power boats to pay his moorage, doesn't have a wife or girlfriend, buys toilet paper at the dollar store and most of his clothes and kitchen utensils come from the Goodwill store, uses the marina wi-fi on a 10 year old laptop, will stop on the freeway to pick up a bungee strap if it doesn't look broken.......hey, wait , that's me.....damn, anyone know where I can get a new life?
mikeguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:17   #28

Boat: Skookum 53'

I was starting to look over my shoulder, I thought you were talking about me!

I know a sailor so cheap, that he went to sea to make a living instead of getting honest work.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:34   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

I had a sailor call me to change his stuffing box hose. It was so rotted out it was physically leaking. I went through the whole litany of proper procedure, how to correctly do the job, what it entails and what to expect.

I explained that if the shaft would not come out of the coupling it would need to be cut and both replaced. I explained that under no circumstances would I use a slide hammer to remove the shaft from coupling. I explained how easy it is to damage the gear flange, brinell the bearings or damage the reversing gear using improper techniques. I also explained he had no room to get a proper coupling puller in there.

I also went into great detail about proper fit of the coupling to shaft, discussed fitting and facing, machine shop expenses, coupling options etc.. I also explained that once the coupling was removed, and the layer of rust broken free, that it was quite probable the coupling could not be re-used because it had lost its fit tolerance.

He was tweaking and twitching the entire time. He then insisted that I use some wire reinforced wet exhaust hose, he already had on hand, for the new stuffing box hose. I politely told him I would not do that and the proper hose costs about $12.00.

I left and never heard from him until part way through the summer, after his boat sank to the settee cushions...... He had rented a slide hammer, re-used the coupling and the shaft came out of it when he hit reverse picking up the mooring!

He wanted to know if I could tell the insurance company the work was done by me and done professionally... "Sorry, I can't do that, I did not do the work and I can tell, based on what you just told me, it was not done properly, AS WE DISCUSSED IN GREAT DETAIL.".... Oh and his reversing gear was making "funny noises" and he wanted to see if I could fix it once he got the salt water out of it. "Sorry I am too busy to get to that until next spring call XXXX."..

Long and short, I heard later that the boat was considered a total loss by the insurance company anyway.....
Old 09-02-2015, 07:17   #30

Boat: Skookum 53'

Sounds like the owner was a total loss.

Tags
cheap, sail