Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2017, 03:10   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: How would you spend $1millon - with a twist

Number of people is very dependent upon the people. I have single handed but miss my Wife terribly, and she I. I've tried crew but I'm a grumpy old fart who doesn't get along well. Wife is similar. So for us, we are a duo, period. Obviously others are different.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 05:45   #47

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We just added an extra battery charger and today our 450w of solar will come online. But like I said diesel stores a tremendous amount of energy, we're going with some solar mostly to eliminate listening to the generator one hour per day and for redundancy.

But there's no need to turn your boat into a solar farm.
Always nice when you can get away from using the generator, right now I'm fixing to make the solar installation – with all the wiring – less cluttered and more user friendly.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 08:50   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Amel Super Maramu 2000 (Delos boat) worth not much less at the time they started cruising. In fact, from my point of view, finding another couple/company who actually willing to share not just pleasure but also expenses (before starting anything) - one of the keys to fun adventure.
For me - single handed - boring and makes no sense at all. Couple - better, but might/will become boring. 4 people (2 couples), who actually have psychological compatibility is the best.
If that's your THEORY, then give it a try. However, I prefer living in the real world of doing things. Get back to us in 10-20 years on how it works out.

Good luck.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 09:44   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If that's your THEORY, then give it a try. However, I prefer living in the real world of doing things. Get back to us in 10-20 years on how it works out.

Good luck.
Yes, it's my feeling so far. Of course, only time will tell if was I wrong or right. I'm still enjoying to read different opinions and experience, it really helps.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 12:57   #50

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I see you are still trolling with the same tired old bait.
Not necessarily. Catamarans are significantly more expensive per length of waterline, and the level of maintenance is also quite high. In this theoretical world we pretty much all know OP shouldn't spent more than 20% of net worth on a boat including initial outfitting...and he'll still only have 2700-3200/mo. That's great, but my dad spends 2200/mo on health insurance after he and mama both had cancer, and started having to pay this premium at the age of 55.

It isn't a sinker/floater/flipper argument, but a budget/lifestyle decision with a whole lot of risk assessment involved.

Not saying they shouldn't get a cat. Would like one myself.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 13:52   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
Not necessarily. Catamarans are significantly more expensive per length of waterline, and the level of maintenance is also quite high. In this theoretical world we pretty much all know OP shouldn't spent more than 20% of net worth on a boat including initial outfitting...and he'll still only have 2700-3200/mo. That's great, but my dad spends 2200/mo on health insurance after he and mama both had cancer, and started having to pay this premium at the age of 55.

It isn't a sinker/floater/flipper argument, but a budget/lifestyle decision with a whole lot of risk assessment involved.

Not saying they shouldn't get a cat. Would like one myself.
He was trolling. Does it frequently. The distinction between a "sailingboat" and a catamaran is one he always makes. Ie catamarans don't sail.

Anti multihull trolling is acceptable, even encouraged on this forum.

Replying to it with facts is not.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 14:26   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
Not necessarily. Catamarans are significantly more expensive per length of waterline, and the level of maintenance is also quite high.
Be careful now haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The distinction between a "sailingboat" and a*catamaran*is one he always makes.
Of course, as do everyone else. What's wrong with that, you feel left out? In fact, everytime someone says monohull or mulithull they make the distinction.

A Catamaran is not a sailingboat or a sailingyacht but a Catamaran, the clue is in the name. Pretty soon you'll be making the argument that Kon-Tiki wasn't a sailing raft but a sailingboat because it used a sail.

Edit.
Trolling? Opinions are always trolling when they don't jive with the feelings of the catamaran crowd who will seize on every opportunity they can to get butthurt and take manufactured offense...and then the name calling begins....

I don't like your opinion so therefore you are trolling.
Old 15-06-2017, 14:31   #53

And there he goes again.

But on this forum, it's fine.

John McEnroe
Old 15-06-2017, 14:32   #54

Quote:
And there he goes again.

But on this forum, it's fine.
On this forum you're allowed to state your opinion, correct, but thanks for playing.
Old 15-06-2017, 14:50   #55

Opinions no matter how twisted are fine. Facts, not so much.

Some facts, FYI.

Catamarans, trimarans, monohulls, proas, dinghies, canoes etc are all types of BOATS.

A sailing catamaran is a sailing boat. As is a sailing trimaran, monohull, dinghy or whatever.

To say otherwise is incorrect, and is trolling.

John McEnroe
Old 15-06-2017, 15:28   #56

Quote:
Opinions no matter how twisted are fine. Facts, not so much.

Some facts, FYI.

Catamarans, trimarans, monohulls, proas, dinghies, canoes etc are all types of BOATS.

A sailing catamaran is a sailing boat. As is a sailing trimaran, monohull, dinghy or whatever.

To say otherwise is incorrect, and is trolling.
Different type of names, why? Because different types of vessels. Not more complicated than that.

Example: A raft with a sail doesn't become a sailing boat/sailing yacht because it uses a sail, it becomes a sailing raft. It is a different kind of vessel. What all these different vessels have in common is that they use a sail.

And no, making the distinction between these different types of vessels is neither incorrect or trolling.

Edit.
We also have different motor vehicles, and we make distinctions between those too.
Old 15-06-2017, 16:55   #57

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Although I suspect a troll in this question, I want to remain polite and give the OP the benefit of the doubt. If you have the ability to accumulate 1 million in "play money" for a vessel and the ability to cruise, I find it difficult to understand why you would ask financial advice(irrespective of the subject matter) from members of this group who, for the most part, are far less successful than you. Perhaps, as a novice, you might ask about sailboat designs, systems, navigation, weather planning but it is difficult to swallow that you are seeking financial advice. For those on this Forum who have been financially successful, you know what it takes to accumulate 1 million plus in savings. You also know that unless you are in your own business or in a high-paying professional job or are an exceptionally "lucky?" person who has had an inheritance, won the lottery or had unusual opportunity in life beyond the norm, you will never see that amount of cash in the bank. "How would you spend $1 million-with a twist." A reasonable person would reply: What is the real intent of this question? Captain Rognvald . . . lost again in inter-galactic consciousness.
Old 15-06-2017, 17:21   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It's a thought experiment, something to kill time and BS about over beer.

I actually thought there was some good discussion before it got derailed.

A million isn't a whole lot of money if you plan to quit work and sail away. It brought up the question of how age matters. It has not yet got going on taxes but is just touching on health care.

For me, in my situation, SS flowing, a mid sized 401k, some passive rental income, house and boat paid off, living aboard (sorta), 66 years old, I know what I would do. There is a particular boat I would buy. New but no interior. I'd buy her $150k, have her finished, about $300k, and sell our big boat. The remaining $500k would go for maintenance and lifestyle.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 17:27   #59

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Although I suspect a troll in this question, I want to remain polite and give the OP the benefit of the doubt. If you have the ability to accumulate 1 million in "play money" for a vessel and the ability to cruise, I find it difficult to understand why you would ask financial advice(irrespective of the subject matter) from members of this group who, for the most part, are far less successful than you. Perhaps, as a novice, you might ask about sailboat designs, systems, navigation, weather planning but it is difficult to swallow that you are seeking financial advice. For those on this Forum who have been financially successful, you know what it takes to accumulate 1 million plus in savings. You also know that unless you are in your own business or in a high-paying professional job or are an exceptionally "lucky?" person who has had an inheritance, won the lottery or had unusual opportunity in life beyond the norm, you will never see that amount of cash in the bank. "How would you spend $1 million-with a twist." A reasonable person would reply: What is the real intent of this question? Captain Rognvald . . . lost again in inter-galactic consciousness.
I think both of the catamaran and sailingboat respondents are fighting out a battle of ego that does not belong here. A shame--active forum participants usually have a lot of knowledge and experience to share.

OP has the normal amount of retirement principle. If you are receiving $3000/mo pension or 401(k) distributions ($36,000 per annum), this is based on interest earnings on a million+ principle. He might have been GLORYING a little bit in the idea that he theoretically has a million dollars, but who wouldn't 😉?!

I am curious as to the finances of the posters to this thread and how those relate to their recommendations. My husband and I are seasonally employed, young, and spend our off-time travelling. We both have semi- practical degrees which permit us more flexible job histories, affordable insurance, and student loans we regret but que sera. We've travelled on 1000/mo plus 1000/mo recurring expenses, but 2-3000/mo plus 1500/mo recurring expenses including retirement contributions is probably closer to realistic. We really love our boat and the ocean, but our travel plans incorporate land trips, so we looked for and bought an affordable, clean, comfortable, easy to maintain boat suitable for coastal cruising plus a little bit. YMMV.

I'd be most worried about the wife getting seasick! Don't buy a new boat or an expensive boat if your spouse may say hell no in a month! Get your spouse on a cat, a monuhull, and a trawler for a few weekend trips well fuelled with dramamine. Beg borrow rent time. You may find boat life is a no.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 18:06   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
It's a thought experiment, something to kill time and BS about over beer. I actually thought there was some good discussion before it got derailed
Yeah and a bit of fun, it's a bit like historical "what if scenarios" in a way and point taken, I've dropped it and moved on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
A million isn't a whole lot of*money*if you plan to quit work and sail away. It brought up the question of how age matters. It has not yet got going on*taxes*but is just touching on*health care.

For me, in my situation, SS flowing, a mid sized 401k, some passive rental*income, house and boat paid off,*living aboard*(sorta), 66 years old, I know what I would do. There is a particular boat I would buy. New but no*interior. I'd buy her $150k, have her finished, about $300k, and sell our big boat. The remaining $500k would go for maintenance and lifestyle.
You can start out with a substantial amount of savings but if money is only going out and nothing comes back in you'll run out pretty fast, having rent money coming in each month is great.