Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-02-2014, 12:52   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: How strict are Live Aboard LOA restrictions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Sorry, but this sounds a little bit like reverse discrimination against the wealthy or well to do. I certainly would not consider myself poor or wealthy.

Sailorchic, if you were to come to Naples being still in you 50's you might find that you would likely be a youngster here. It seems that most of the sailors in our sailing club are over 60 and most are over 70.

I defiantly will admit that this is condo heaven and many people that buy and live in them have an issue with everyone else that isn't like them. Boaters in general seem to enjoy life way to much for there sensitive emotions.
Sorry I try not to discriminate against anyone. You have to admit that Naples leans toward the higher income brackets.

I think the condo folks are annoyed with the boaters having fun, Way too many condo's for this girl..

LOL, I lived down in that neck of the woods for a few years. Yes even 60-65 is young down there.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:57   #77
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Vance-
"He told me he takes the boat out every day to avoid LA rules. " Really? HAULS a 34' boat every day? That sounds either terribly unique or terribly pricey, I'm thinking the odds are that you are getting your leg pulled. Could be an expensive trip. But then again, I'd a card-carrying skeptic and I'm required to bring these things up.

The homeless are homeless for a variety of reasons. Giving them all derelict boats and expecting anything except a batch of sunken boats six months later, is unrealistic. Yes, one or two or five out of the hundred may get fixed up, but the majority will become submerged wrecks, because just giving away "shelter" isn't what many of the homeless want =or= need the most. And then there's the question of where to put all those boats.

Far cheaper and simpler to give them all tents on the village green. No, wait a minute, that has been done, here in the US, right in DC actually, when homeless veterans camped on the Mall after WW1. And the government eventually called out troops to route them.

And in NYC, where there were shantytowns in what is now Central Park (routed by brute force) and Pelham Bay (also moved by force).

Changing from tents and shanties to derelict boats will only add to an environmental disaster when it comes time to clean them up.

Flying to LA (LA? SF?) to see a boat that is hauled(?) every day....I hope that's a short flight for you!

Old 02-02-2014, 13:04   #78

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'

No, takes it out of the slip, and sails it every day. Pays for a slip, but they rarely see him or the boat in the marina during the day.

Funny thing about this diversion from the original topic is,.. My goal will be to get this SF bay boat through the canal and over to Florida (I want to cruise the islands).

So Sailorchic, If I buy a boat near you this week? My goal will be to get it over to Florida in a year-ish or so. I'd likely take the opportunity to sail around the Pacific NW up to Alaska (as long as I'm already there). ;-)

I grew up in Colorado. DRY as a bone! I'm only 43. Not into dating older people. I'm not that comfortable in excess humidity either. (odd eh?) lol
Old 02-02-2014, 13:10   #79
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah, sails it every day. What's the fun it that? (VBG)

Bear in mind, it is going to cost you a minimum of $1500 and more likely $2000 to get a boat through the Panama Canal these days. Not like in the 70's when the Pardy's did it for under five dollars.

Sounds like he takes good care of it though.
Old 02-02-2014, 13:13   #80

I looked at that last week. Boats under 50' cost $800 (Plus any other unrelated crap you might buy while doing it). Plus the supplies to make the trip... So, yea $1500 is about right maybe a little more .
Old 02-02-2014, 13:21   #81
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Last time I looked (last year) the base price was before surcharges and mandatory other fees, so read carefully for options and extras. Plus moorage for several days to weeks at the entrance, depending on the other games being played at the time. And of course, the time to get there, unless the long cruise is fun vacation time.

Not that I blame the new owners for charging money. Five dollars doesn't get a lot of water in motion these days.
Old 02-02-2014, 13:25   #82

I should say, It looks like he kept the boat in pretty sail-able shape. It needs paint on the topside (I like that!). Some internal trim is missing. There's a hole in the side of the cockpit from some removed piece of equipment (he has it sealed with a patch of some sort). It needs a headliner...

Engine and tranny have "200 hours", head, bottom(supposedly done last year), all the electronics are "new".

If I fly down to see it I'll likely find a bit more. :-)

Addition/Edit: The guy is in his mid 60's, says he wants a motorhome. lol

Tags
loa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: