Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2014, 05:50   #46

Re: How strict are Live Aboard LOA restrictions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Dockhead. were I kept my boat it was length of everything on the boat or length of the slip, which ever was greater.
That's the official line at most marinas but no one ever questions it.

We've never had anyone come out to measure the boat (I've only heard a couple of 2nd hand stories of people who have been measured and they had 12-15' of overhang so they didn't fit in the slip assigned)

Luckily, we are within 6" of our official length so it's really a non-issue.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 06:47   #47

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
That's the official line at most marinas but no one ever questions it.

We've never had anyone come out to measure the boat (I've only heard a couple of 2nd hand stories of people who have been measured and they had 12-15' of overhang so they didn't fit in the slip assigned)

Luckily, we are within 6" of our official length so it's really a non-issue.
I have a slip in Oceanside Harbor and they measure the boat once a year while conducting a minor inspection. They measure LWL and overall length at the longest (including anything attached to the hull that increases that measurement). Apparently, some marinas do indeed measure things.

My marina's policy for live aboard length is a minimum of 28'. It is owned and controlled by the city and that is the entity that set the limits. We are allowed to stay aboard 3 nights a week without having to have an LA permit. I asked the harbor authority about the 10% figure and was told that THEY elected that number, but can set it wherever they wish. All of this seems contrary to most of the things discussed as "state wide law".
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 07:03   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How strict are Live Aboard LOA restrictions?

If your boat and you look and smell like crap... 5metres longer than your boat..
If you and your boat look respectable and smell nice.. you have an easy grin and blue eye's... enjoy your stay..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 07:39   #49

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
While Richmond does have a LOT of undesirable attributes, San Quentin is not one of them. There is a sort of moat, called San Francisco Bay, that separates them. Perhaps a review of geography would do you some good, mate!

Jim
]

I beg to differ! I've driven past the place to many times to let this go unanswered.

,San Quentin State Prison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those who don't want to read this article note this.

The prison complex has its own ZIP code for mail sent to inmates, 94974;[9] the ZIP code of the adjacent community of Point San Quentin Village is 94964.[10] It is bordered by San Francisco Bay to the south and west and by Interstate 580 to the north and east, near the northern terminus of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.

Now mate, if the Bay is west of the prison, then that means that the prison is on the east side of the bay, ergo next to Richmond.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 07:48   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
]

I beg to differ! I've driven past the place to many times to let this go unanswered.

,San Quentin State Prison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those who don't want to read this article note this.

The prison complex has its own ZIP code for mail sent to inmates, 94974;[9] the ZIP code of the adjacent community of Point San Quentin Village is 94964.[10] It is bordered by San Francisco Bay to the south and west and by Interstate 580 to the north and east, near the northern terminus of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.

Now mate, if the Bay is west of the prison, then that means that the prison is on the east side of the bay, ergo next to Richmond.
Honey the bay is south and east of the San Quentin with a tiny finger of the bay at larkspur by the ferry building. It's west of Richmond. Richmond is on the east side of the Richmond- San Rafael bridge, which is 4 miles away from the west side of the bridge.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 07:48   #51

Google Maps would seem to side with Jim in this argument: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=San+Q...ornia&t=m&z=15
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 07:56   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
What's with F n G?
F&G are two smaller docks with a small not well lit parking lot off in the northwest corner of the marina. Some youth groups sometime hang out there late at night. Its to boonies of marina Bay which is a huge marina. It use to be part of the Kaiser shipyards that built liberity ships back in WW2. Now its all city-fied.

Why they always have a few Liveaboards slots open. D and E docks are larger with lighted parking and very safe.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 08:03   #53

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I would not trust some of the posters here to be able to understand a map/chart. For reality: looking west toward Marin County (SQ is out of sight to the left a couple miles) and behind (east) is Richmond, separated by the bay as shown on the above-referenced chart:

Here is an old photo showing the now long-gone Richmond ferry terminal with Marin County (containing San Quentin prison) in the background, across the bay.

Old 31-01-2014, 08:35   #54

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Honey the bay is south and east of the San Quentin with a tiny finger of the bay at larkspur by the ferry building. It's west of Richmond. Richmond is on the east side of the Richmond- San Rafael bridge, which is 4 miles away from the west side of the bridge.
Wikipedia and my memory are both wrong! how embarrassing
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 08:42   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
I have a slip in Oceanside Harbor and they measure the boat once a year while conducting a minor inspection. They measure LWL and overall length at the longest (including anything attached to the hull that increases that measurement). Apparently, some marinas do indeed measure things.

My marina's policy for live aboard length is a minimum of 28'. It is owned and controlled by the city and that is the entity that set the limits. We are allowed to stay aboard 3 nights a week without having to have an LA permit. I asked the harbor authority about the 10% figure and was told that THEY elected that number, but can set it wherever they wish. All of this seems contrary to most of the things discussed as "state wide law".
So now I'm upto 3 stories about it happening vs a few hundred marinas where I've not seen it happen and confirmed by most other cruisers.

I don't doubt you have an officious harbor master who does check but unless it's a california thing, it's pretty uncommon. Most take the number on the side of the hull and don't think twice about it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 08:53   #56

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So now I'm upto 3 stories about it happening vs a few hundred marinas where I've not seen it happen and confirmed by most other cruisers.

I don't doubt you have an officious harbor master who does check but unless it's a california thing, it's pretty uncommon. Most take the number on the side of the hull and don't think twice about it.
I do not know if it is even a "California thing". It might just be the harbor where I keep Thirty Six Seas. It would be nice to not have to pay $12 to have them look over my flares, horn and measurements.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 09:12   #57

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: How strict are Live Aboard LOA restrictions?

On the San Quentin thingy, John said it was just down the road. And it is: The 4 miles and across the SF Bay on Interstate 580 was implied.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 09:43   #58
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

is not is not a state oriented thing...is a marina oriented thing..each marina has different regulations, all fitting within the guidelines of state law. state is most general, marinas get very finite.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 11:10   #59

Boat: Tashing TaShiba 36ft

What was the 38 footer.
dearmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:28   #60

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'

The 38 footer was a 1984 Beneteau First 38. It's still available as far as I know! I chose to not buy it for the asking price. I offered $7000, he wants $12,000. It needs and engine and tranny, all the hatch seals replaced (especially the ones dripping on the engine in the cockpit), and the Keel re-seated, ground and glassed (impact crack). Paint and minor interior work. Sails are good standing rigging is all new and oversized. If I had an extra 10K I'd buy it today.

INSTEAD! I'm likely flying to SF bay to look at a 34'! (Figures eh?) The owner is an older gentleman who has been "living aboard" for a long time. He told me he takes the boat out every day to avoid LA rules.

He says the boat got a new bottom job last year. It has a new mast and standing rigging. New crate engine, and tranny (Kabota). The only thing I don't like is the fuel tank is very small, but I'd rather not use fuel anyway.
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa