Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 14:17   #91

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978
Re: How bad does this engine look?

Ann, I do agree with you on the saltwater thing, as my engine seemed to have just been externally sprayed on one side, and the alternator and starter (and that side of the oilpan) corroded to slivers of what they once were. I replaced the starter and alternator, the oilpan replacement is currently in the back seat of my pickup (crew cab) with a ratchet and new bolts in it. I have to get back to the yard still.. running behind with my health issues still, I am afraid... But getting there!!

The point I am making is that the corrosion I found was all external, and the inside of the engine once I pulled the head is exceptionally clean and absent any corrosion whatever. It also turns over smoothly, and once the new oilpan is on, I will bleed the line and see how she runs.
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 15:32   #92

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM

a beautiful old CD27 with a new yan with 300 hours on it sold in fall 2016 for 20K and it was totally mint , rehabbed in and out , new dodger new bim new sails . keep looking or get the price down to 15 K. those CDs are great boats. but the full keel is a @#$% to back straight.
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 20:30   #93

So I saw the engine run today and i'm not sure what to think. The mechanic had to spray something in the intake to get it to start, but he said that was because the fuel was so old (3 year old fuel). The water pump still isn't installed so he just turned it over and killed it after 30 seconds before any heat could build up. No leaks, no abnormal knocks or anything.

But yeah I think I've read somewhere that having to spray that starting fluid is bad; but if it's just due to old fuel maybe its okay?
odeapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 21:46   #94

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeapt View Post
So I saw the engine run today and i'm not sure what to think. The mechanic had to spray something in the intake to get it to start, but he said that was because the fuel was so old (3 year old fuel). The water pump still isn't installed so he just turned it over and killed it after 30 seconds before any heat could build up. No leaks, no abnormal knocks or anything.

But yeah I think I've read somewhere that having to spray that starting fluid is bad; but if it's just due to old fuel maybe its okay?
No, not bad. It would be normal to have to spray starting fluid in an engine which has not run in at least 3 years. The fact that he got it running is very good news, clean fuel and some running time and it could be a good engine. Diesels are tough.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 18:34   #95

The big thing is that if it ran, it has compression. That means likely the rings and piston(s) are good, and that the bearings are good if no knocking was going on (most likely, you would have to hear it running warmed up and under load to know for POSITIVE that you are all good, but the water pump must be connected or you will destroy it, and the engine too, most likely). This is where a sea trial comes in EXCEPTIONALLY handy and important to your transaction, however.
Old 22-12-2016, 22:23   #96

Boat: Union 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
The big thing is that if it ran, it has compression. That means likely the rings and piston(s) are good...

Not so fast. Diesel engines can be worn out and well down on compression, yet still start/run (however briefly) with starting fluid. Starting fluid is way more volatile than diesel, thus requires much less heat to ignite. Less compression = less heat. Not much of a test as it does not demonstrate how well, or even if, the engine will start without the assistance of starting fluid.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 11:42   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post

Not so fast. Diesel engines can be worn out and well down on compression, yet still start/run (however briefly) with starting fluid. Starting fluid is way more volatile than diesel, thus requires much less heat to ignite. Less compression = less heat. Not much of a test as it does not demonstrate how well, or even if, the engine will start without the assistance of starting fluid.
Well, Wulf is right here.

I had not considered that he used starting fluid to make her run (as I generally avoid the stuff like the plague unless my semi truck was exceptionally cold and the risk of gelling fuel was high).

It would be nice if you could get some sort of hose to connect to the water intake on that engine, with positive pressure, and try to start it normally, with actual diesel fuel for a few minutes, even ten minutes will tell you a great deal. Still, you know the engine is not locked up.

Save
Old 25-12-2016, 04:15   #98

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I would be very cautious about the engine until it has a proper start / run. If it means waiting for the water pump, so be it. AS pointed out, a squirt and rev does not an engine test make. Fresh fuel out of a jerry can and water cooling will tell you what you will need to know. Stay away from starter fluid!! It has a tendency to explode, not burn and can do a lot off damage.

Bleed the old stuff out of the injection system and then when everything is ready give it a go. A trick I learned from this forum which really works is if it is cold out, use a heat gun at the intake. Works better than WD40. BTW, WD40 can be used instead of starter fluid, (ether), as it burns not explodes.

As far as how bad does it look, look at the before and after of Vigah's 4-108 http://69.89.27.238/~sailboa1/2014/06/30/engine/ and http://69.89.27.238/~sailboa1/2014/04/21/engine-room/ The bottom link img 290 shows it running with cooling water hook-up
Old 25-12-2016, 06:14   #99

15,000 tops. If you don't have to replace the engine, you're still good. 29,000 and having to buy a new engine is going to make you hate boats and boating.

Tags
engine