Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 13:46   #46

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: How bad does this engine look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Ham, fresh water hose for the raw water intake? Really????????
No valve never mind a seacock.
LOL...the seacock (ball valve) is just out of the picture frame. However, the P30 were built with no seacock on the cockpit drains, which always freaked me out a bit.

The transparent (fresh water) hose on the intake was good for seeing bubbles or trouble, or watching the antifreeze flow in.

My point was to show an engine even older than the one in question, that shows almost no rust. I'm not saying it looks good...but it ran well. I sold that boat a year ago, engine included, $9000 cdn...so whats that in USD? $4950?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 13:47   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

And you do see engines with a shitty paint job hoping to cover up a multitude of sins.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 15:00   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Look at all the salt crystals on the Oil filter! and everywhere. And then it sat, and sat.

The OP needs to set his eyes on the boat in person, then decide. Some projects are just too much, and one should walk away--it is a very personal decision, and to a great extent, dependent on existing skills.

Ann
Old 08-12-2016, 16:14   #49

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

Definitely been sitting around unused for sometime (years). But it's what's inside that counts most. If it starts, no big blue flume of blue smoke it's worth going to next step... compression test, look at drained engine oil after it sits a day in glass jar. Same with diesel from (bottle) of tank. Good luck!
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 16:26   #50

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
LOL...the seacock (ball valve) is just out of the picture frame. However, the P30 were built with no seacock on the cockpit drains, which always freaked me out a bit.

The transparent (fresh water) hose on the intake was good for seeing bubbles or trouble, or watching the antifreeze flow in.

My point was to show an engine even older than the one in question, that shows almost no rust. I'm not saying it looks good...but it ran well. I sold that boat a year ago, engine included, $9000 cdn...so whats that in USD? $4950?
The fresh water hose bothers me but no seacocks don't if there are plugs attached to the hose to plug a leak. People never close seacocks anyway and a wooden cone or plug works just as well.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 18:09   #51

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Doesn't anyone find it strange that those 'salt crystals' are only on the aluminum parts of the engine?

Well, that's because they're aluminum oxide, caused by the reaction between (mostly fresh, salt doesn't evaporate) water from condensation and pores or breaks in the painted aluminum, which is exactly what happens with any engine in the enclosed confines of any engine compartment. Additionally, that engine is fairly current and is a Kubota V1305, though I don't know who the marinizer is. As far as I'm concerned, and in my experience, Kubota is far superior to Yanmar, and at least equal to Perkins, in every way.

Granted, 29,000 for a 29 year old, 33 foot boat, even if it is immaculate, and even if it has as good a reputation as Cape Dory, given the buyers market for used sailboats, seemed high, until a quick search yielded a low price of 19,000 for a 1981 model and a high of 59,000 for an '83. Apparently they have a better reputation than I was aware of...

Interestingly the last model year I could find was either '85 or '86, but that kind of information is notoriously hard to pin down...

So...even though the engine is ugly as hell...the boat--- especially if it can be had for around 20,000--- may not be as bad a deal as some are making it out to be. Have an in-person look at it if you're still interested, run the boat if you can, pay attention to what your gut instinct tells you.

Pictures are the last thing you want to use to make a decision...

so here's one showing a Kubota V1305
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 19:42   #52

Boat: Tartan 37

If that motor has sat for 5 years in that moisture, I bet it doesn't run. If it does shut it down and then tackle the fuel tank.

Salt crystals leaching from aluminum is a sign of a motor that has been underwater. Worked with a salvage company, seen it a dozen times and it never stops leaching.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 20:05   #53

Quote:
I wonder if the whole boat sank or if only the engine was sprayed with salt water. I'd bet it sank and that's why it has a new raw water intake hose.
I'm pretty sure that's what happened. The water intake hose broke and sank the boat. It was refloated and the hose was replaced. With the huge bill the woman received she must have assumed the engine had been rebuilt. When you find house wiring (romex) in a boat you can assume everything was done wrong.
Old 08-12-2016, 21:20   #54

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeapt View Post
The seller emailed me back and said it is currently being worked on; said the mechanic from A1 Motors is replacing the water pump and cleaning the corrosion. He also said it started up after sitting for 3 years. So I will at least look at it when the work is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
If that motor has sat for 5 years in that moisture, I bet it doesn't run. If it does shut it down and then tackle the fuel tank.

Salt crystals leaching from aluminum is a sign of a motor that has been underwater. Worked with a salvage company, seen it a dozen times and it never stops leaching.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's what happened. The water intake hose broke and sank the boat. It was refloated and the hose was replaced. With the huge bill the woman received she must have assumed the engine had been rebuilt. When you find house wiring (romex) in a boat you can assume everything was done wrong.
Oh look, it's a white wire, it must be romex...

Pretty sure the OP has the good sense to disregard your baseless, histrionic and hysterical assumptions, but just in case...

And just for you, circled in red in the picture below are three instances of corrosion, on both aluminum (white powder) and brass (green discoloration on valve), just from condensation and rain, on items that have never been near salt water; an exterior area light, on old valve off my wellhead, and a coated dentists' light (all destined for the scrap yard). Circled in green is an anodized dive tank holder bracket that has been through 10 years of salt water dousing and abuse, with no corrosion at all. Doubt pretty seriously that Kubota anodizes any of its' engine parts though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cor1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	137716  
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 22:19   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Oh look, it's a white wire, it must be romex...

Pretty sure the OP has the good sense to disregard your baseless, histrionic and hysterical assumptions, but just in case...

I'm sure the engine meets your standards. By the way, the giveaway that the WHITE wire is ROMEX is not that it's white but because of the kinks and twists in it that are set in place by the stiff unstranded conductors. The lack of labeling is also a clue.
Old 08-12-2016, 22:53   #56
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Yea, those pulleys are a mess. And the exhaust appears to be galvainized pipe.

29,000 minus 15,000.
Ahem, minus $15K for parts, and $5K for remove and replace with same, or another $3-5K for mods to fit alternate model.

That looks like a "Hand me the title and I'll buy ya a beer" kinda boat.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 22:55   #57

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

I'll say it again as an expert.
The terms : reconditioned, refurbished, rebuilt, overhauled are all worth squat. All subject to definition, who's telling the story and who's listening.

All and any claims re the foregoing MUST have supporting documentation viz: receipts for machining, parts and for detailed labour ( e.g. cut valve seats, no parts are involved).

ALL & ANY claims regarding engine condition MUST be supported with documentation from a verifiable source.

If the invoices are even 5 years old, all things being equal, you should be ok. And your local mechanic will usually peruse the claimed documentation for free in 3 minutes.

And a rebuild doesn't necessarily include such vital components such as timing chains, injectors & or pumps, oil pumps etc etc.
Rings and bearings AIN'T a rebuild. Rings & bearings tend to give and engine some increase in longevity only.

Lost or misplaced receipts are at the vendors peril and claims of loss should be viewed with suspicion.
Again, a 2 minute "blow-by" observation, by experienced eyes, can speak volumes in the absence of verifying documentation
Fwiw.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 22:59   #58

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeapt View Post
The seller emailed me back and said it is currently being worked on; said the mechanic from A1 Motors is replacing the water pump and cleaning the corrosion. He also said it started up after sitting for 3 years. So I will at least look at it when the work is done.
Alla youse guys: read that post! Seems that the refurbishment is currently going on. That means that the picture must be from BEFORE the refurb.

No way to determine yet how complete or how competent the refurb may be, but it is too early to be totally discounting the usefulness of this engine. Sure looks bad in the pic

Jim
Old 08-12-2016, 23:03   #59

Here is the listing if anyone is interested. 1987 Cape Dory Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 09-12-2016, 00:57   #60

Quote:
Here is the listing if anyone is interested. 1987 Cape Dory Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Doesn't look like it's in too good of a shape overall. And that's considering that the best pictures were used for the ad.

BTW someone mentioned that the last ones were made in 1985. According to sailboatdata, there was an updated model Cape Dory 330 made between 1985 and 1988. Only 27 were made so may be this one is from that last batch.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine