Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2018, 21:00   #1

Here's how (and why) it comes from "I don't like brokers" to "I hate brokers"

Obviously, there are brokers here among CF members. They probably bugging some of you (who ever expressed interest in purchasing boat) from time to time.
They would offer not the boat you want or looking for, but boat they're trying to get rid of.

About a year ago I was contacted by such bugger, offered Lagoon 570 at ridiculous price (like 680K Euro or something like that).
I was very nice with him at that time, told him that a) I'm not interested in that boat (it's very old model and doesn't have features I want) and b) Price was totally unrealistic, in my opinion, realistic price at that time was more like 400K - dollars, not Euro! (if boat was in perfect shape with no flaws)
I thought everything was understood.

One year later I'm getting e-mail from same bugger. Guess what?
Offering same boat! "Owner is ready to sell EVEN at $450K Euro".
How could I miss such deal????

This time I wasn't so nice.
There are two situations with selling ANYTHING. a)You "must sell", if you must sell on or before certain date (sell in one week, sell in one month). b) If (a) is not applicable, then it's not "must sell" situation! If you "must sell within 5 years" - this is simply scam!

This time I told to the bugger - a) that even though boat is "only" 10 years old, the model (Lagoon 570) is 18 (!!!) years old. It's not attractive anymore, this fact DOES have huge impact on price!

b) I told him that my prediction (year ago) that he won't be able to sell the boat for ANYTHING close to initial price, was absolutely correct. And gave him another prediction - the boat one year older now, so he won't be able to sell it anywhere close to "very low" current $450K Euro (that's almost $560K now!) asking price either.
I also told him - if owner "must sell it" for real (not just BS word) - selling price will be no more than 150K Euro. There's another L570 sitting on the market for very long time, at $225K Euro!

I guess, my e-mail made him a bit emotional, and he told me something that (I guess) broker wouldn't ever tell to potential buyer
His words exactly -
"Something tells me that I wouldn't hear the same story from you if this L570 was yours."

Bingo! That's the whole point! The owner (or broker!) wants you to pay stupid price for boat not because the boat worth it, but because seller paid stupid amount of money for that boat in the beginning, and he doesn't want to take a loss, he's looking for another idiot who will pay
for his stupidity!
And the broker...he lives on commission. He has NO REASON to lower the price (and lower own commission). If boat doesn't sell...who cares, it's not his boat, not his money. There are other boats and idiots out there.

So, bottom line - at least on this forum, brokers - LEAVE US ALONE!
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 21:06   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Here's how (and why) it comes from "I don't like brokers" to "I hate brokers"

The broker does not set the price, the owner does.
If you get unwanted emails or calls from brokers, just block the calls and spam-can the emails.
Never had a problem with brokers, they work hard to make a living.
Rotten apples in every business, ignore the bad ones and have a beer with the good ones.
Old 21-03-2018, 21:14   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Here's how (and why) it comes from "I don't like brokers" to "I hate brokers"

It really doesn't take much to ignore an email or block an.email address.
If you are clear on the boats value and have an interest in it, then offer up a price you'd buy it for. I don't really see your description as being so negative on brokers. You know they are just doing their job, aka a salesman.

This is probably the first time I've ever defended a boat broker.
Old 21-03-2018, 21:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
The broker does not set the price, the owner does.
Sure. But it is the broker, who tries to f your brain and make you think that boat actually worth that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Never had a problem with brokers, they work hard to make a living.
Rotten apples in every business, ignore the bad ones and have a beer with the good ones.
Working hard - that's about factory workers, construction workers etc. Don't even try to tell me that dealers, brokers, realtors are "hard working". "Hard working to rip people off".
Old 21-03-2018, 21:21   #5

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Sure. But it is the broker, who tries to f your brain and make you think that boat actually worth that price.

Working hard - that's about factory workers, construction workers etc. Don't even try to tell me that dealers, brokers, realtors are "hard working". "Hard working to rip people off".
dealers, brokers, realtors are glue of the system we live in. Without them everything falls apart.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 21:22   #6

Guys, I DO know how to block unwanted e-mails, thanks for suggestion.
My message is this - AVOID brokers, dealers, realtors as much as possible! Don't be lazy, learn things yourself! That's your laziness and fears they making huge money on!
That's simply ridiculous when man with minimum education tells me that he's market expert (for example). Rip-off expert - I would believe so.
Old 21-03-2018, 21:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
dealers, brokers, realtors are glue of the system we live in. Without them everything falls apart.
Really?? I just don't know how system existed before these guys...by mistake, I guess.
I don't know how I still alive, never used car dealer to buy a car in my life (and had few dozens of cars), how I bought house without buyer's broker...
At some reason world didn't fell apart. I guess, that was miracle.
Old 21-03-2018, 21:32   #8
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Sure. But it is the broker, who tries to f your brain and make you think that boat actually worth that price.
Been hitting the crack pipe this evening?
Or the broker managed to f your brain.
Give it a rest, no crusade against brokers needed.
I am out..
Old 22-03-2018, 03:37   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411

I had very similar experience with boat brokers. 9 out of 10 was terrible. Some of them just simple ignored me, never replied etc. Some of them tried to sell me something I wasn’t interested at all (I made it clear what I’m looking for).
Maybe I just don’t look like someone who can afford to buy a boat or I don’t know, but the way I was treated by most of the brokers wasn’t really good. I always felt that they make me a favor doing their job.
But...
The boat I bought, was advertised by a broker (behalf of the owner). He was extremely helpful. Even when we closed the deal he still helped me with a little bit of this and that. He’s a great guy and a good broker.

So there is a little hope...
PeterSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 04:32   #10

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Brokers are like trains, they take you from a place from where you don't want to leave to bring you to a place you don't want to go. Still everybody uses them...
Old 22-03-2018, 04:33   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:

Wondering if a bit of that attitude doesn't eek through when you are talking to them.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 04:51   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Here's how (and why) it comes from "I don't like brokers" to "I hate brokers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Too Funny...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 05:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
Brokers are like trains, they take you from a place from where you don't want to leave to bring you to a place you don't want to go. Still everybody uses them...
Not a bad analogy. Lots of time trains take you to places that you want to get to, more quickly and comfortably than you could ever drive there yourself.

If you understand what trains are, and what they can do for you (brokers, too!), and if you use them appropriately, then they can be extremely useful. If you just turn yourself over to them, without regard for what you are doing or where you are going... Well, yeah, of course you're going to end up where you don't want to be!

As for the OP saying that brokers "f your brain," seriously? It f's your brain to have to say "not interested" and then hang up, or block their e-mail? Wow.

Honestly, I don't much like dealing with brokers. But they do serve a purpose. If one contacts you who is not serving your purpose, then cut him off and don't talk to him again. It's not that hard. The criticisms the OP has offered here are nothing. If he were to name names, I wouldn't even put that broker on my "no call" list.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 06:09   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Bad experience with one broker so they're all crooks and scoundrels.

By the way, I was a broker 35 years ago. Was working on commission only, trying to support a family so was at the office 6 days a week (and occasionally on Sunday) 8-10 hours a day. Spent the days either on the phone, meeting with buyers and sellers, checking on boats for out of town sellers, setting up surveys and sea trials or walking the docks looking for listings. This was pretty standard for a lot of the other brokers I knew.

Sure I knew some liars and thieves in the business. I also know a few sailors that are liars and thieves but I don't condemn all the rest for the faults of the few.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 06:56   #15

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
That's simply ridiculous when man with minimum education tells me that he's market expert (for example). Rip-off expert - I would believe so.
On what basis are you assuming the broker has minimum education? I've met plenty of people in the oilpatch with masters or higher degrees doing grunt work.....because the pay is good and they like the change in scenery.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote