Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 09:52   #1

Help In the Right Direction

Hi everyone,
Im sure that this has been covered before but not too sure where to start. In just over a year I will be hopefully purchasing a sailboat to live on and sail. I was hoping to get some suggestions on what to start looking at.

Here are the basics im kinda looking for. Im always open to suggestions as well.
Budget of about 30-40k to actually purchase the boat. Ill be taking about five years to fully pay off and refit and work on as needed. I would like something that is already sail-able and liveable with minor-medium work needed.
I most likely would be doing so single handed, with my dog as my beer buddy. I was thinking and leaning towards a 34 center cockpit. I dont know of may like this but like i said im still open to suggestions. but i do like the openness and livability of the center cockpit as that will be more so of what ill be doing.
Location will be the east coast of Fl most likely the Daytona Beach Area. Alot of the cruising in the beginning will be the Caribbean so i know a shallow draft would be beneficial.
The future intent will be to sail the Caribbean for a couple years then going to central America then making my way across the pacific to Oz and NZ then to the pacific islands.
I would like something that would be able to do all that. Is that even realistic? Should i get something to be able to sail the Caribbean and then upgrade when i make my way west?

Suggestions, bitches, moans, gripes?
Anything will be helpful for sure.
Thanks
Scott