Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 13:22   #1

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Guess the cost - delivery half way round the world

So I'm looking at buying a boat in New Zealand, and something that yachtmarket has a dozen of listed for between 100-150k NZD are very occasionally available here, but for 250-300k. Now, I'm aware that there are differences in condition, and that there is 20% to add on for taxes and duty to get a boat registered here, but still that sounds like a great big chunk.

So what would the assembled opinion be on the sort of cost it would entail to get a boat from the med (whether Spain, Croatia, Turkey, whatever), down to little old New Zealand? We're talking about a relatively modern 10-12 year old standard plastic production boat, 45 feet or so.

In another life I would obviously do this myself with friends, but due to current family circumstances I simply can't.

A delivery skipper is a possibility, although not likely to be cheap. Or perhaps a yacht delivery ship might be a better option to avoid significant wear and tear due to a trip of this length. I have simply no idea on costs, but can't imagine it's NZD100k...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 13:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guess the cost - delivery half way round the world

Definitely not 100K..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 13:27   #3

Re: Guess the cost - delivery half way round the world

I saw your profile in my searches, boatman61

Talk about getting a reply from one of the most qualified on here...
Old 15-03-2018, 13:38   #4

I guess my question is, it is possible without being there? I.e. get appropriate surveys, buy the boat, have the boat turn up here. With someone either shipping it on deck or by going there, supervising whatever repairs are required, and delivering. And a comparison of the costs of the two ways. Sailing all this way is going to beat up some of the boat I'm sure...
Old 15-03-2018, 13:48   #5

Possible? Sure. Expensive? Definitely. Cheaper than $100k? Almost definitely.

Worth it? Meh... no one is going to be sure it's what "you're" comfortable with as well as you would being there in person. I'd at least go see it in person before making such a large purchase myself. Even a video tour isn't going to be the same as being there imo.

I'm sure some have done it though, so maybe someone will chime in with their experience.
jlcnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 14:00   #6

Boat: 94' Ex Navy Ship

When I purchased my vessel recently (based at the viaduct here in Auckland) I looked for 12 months all over the world for another option first. I looked at hundreds of boats.

Getting the boat down here was a big big cost. Not just wear, but fuel, people, risk, insurance, cash for skippers and then the repair bill (given that a large number of boats for sale in that price range are not "perfect" )

I opted to buy locally and swallow the GST bill. I found lots of NZ boats to be well maintained, well serviced and there is something about be able to pick the owners brains over the first few months of handover.

food for thought .. if nothing more.

iirc a boat delivery service from europe for that size is around $45k nzd.
Old 15-03-2018, 14:08   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tillsbury,

If you go forward with this plan, what you need is a project manager/skipper, who can assure the boat is ready for its trip, and you need to be prepared to pay for repairs underway. It's a big responsibility to transfer to someone else, and remember, even if you're not happy with the condition of the boat on arrival, you're still liable to pay the skipper. Furthermore, there are some new boats some delivery skippers won't sail that far. (This from a communication with a delivery skipper friend of ours.)

Shipping costs keep changing, and anything involving a canal passage will have additional costs. Check the companies. Hanse boats are shipped into Sydney all the time. It's probably less expensive than having it delivered. But you will still need to hire an agent..

Ann
Old 15-03-2018, 14:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guess the cost - delivery half way round the world

Getting someone else to do the pre purchase stuff is tricky.. its not their money nor will it be their boat.
Your best bet is to decide what you want exactly.. Make, size, age and accomodation at an alledged condition your happy with.. ask for pictures with dates.
Their are some good deals to be had.. but some bad ones as well.. then fly out for a look before closing the deal.
A friend of mine has a Dufour 45 for sale in the CF boats for sale section.. I helped him get it from France to his base in Sicily.. asking €110K.. a nice boat and well equiped.
Theres others to be had.. an ex charter boat.. free of VAT so cheaper than a secondhand VAT paid boat.. basic equipment but deliverable for sure.. on its keel or by ship.. that way you get to fit what You want not inherit someone elses junk..
As for wear and tear by sea.. thats just down to how and when its sailed.

My mistake.. Its a 425 Grande Large..
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-196027.html

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 14:21   #9

Have a chat to Rod Waterhouse at Our Team | DBY Boat Sales
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 16:01   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

Check out the blog
https://ayachtmoretolife.com/
He shipped his yacht from the Med to Australia late last year. Its not NZ but close.
Cheer
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 16:21   #11

Yes, that would be an interesting option. Also means that I don't have to do a pile of repairs at a distance but can do them back here. He doesn't mention the cost, other than it was worthwhile.

A Dufour 425 would be idea, we're also looking at Bavaria 46 (mainly because it can have the additional pullman cabin which will be useful when kids get a little bigger), and Beneteaus in between these sizes. The Dufour is getting to the end of our budget though, at NZD185 plus say 50 to ship it, plus GST and Duty brings it right up towards 300NZD...
Old 15-03-2018, 16:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Have a chat to Rod Waterhouse at Our Team | DBY Boat Sales
They certainly have some nice boats for sale... I've contacted them...
Old 16-03-2018, 08:13   #13

Boat: BOC 50

Yachtmaster Offshore, Yachtmaster Ocean. Done lots of miles, and southern ocean route.
If you decide to go this route (Sail to you) Get your best price for qualified delivery and I will beat it.
Jimroda@outlook.com
Jimroda06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 09:58   #14

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Delivery with a Pro skipper is at the bear minimum US$2.00 to US$3.00 per nautical mile + expenses, travel fees...
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 10:18   #15

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

If you can get it delivered by ship that may be much more curtain. Sailing a new boat half way round the world means it will have to be up to full ocean cruising spec and you will need min 3 professional crew for about 6 months. Someone is also going to have to spend time testing and probably upgrading all the systems. All this is avoided if you can get it shipped as deck cargo.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery, round the world