Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 11:12   #121

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Boat: Sceptre 41 #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Solstice
Jim Thomsen's response was pretty much in line with my thoughts (as his responses seem to be generally; hope we meet up one of these days). Living on a sailboat, especially at anchor, is low carbon footprint and generally low cost. It's the passages that break the bank. In the event of a real collapse of the US economy, rather than the slow-down, recession or depression that we're currently experiencing, it's unlikely that there's anywhere left in the world that would be unaffected. But on a boat, we can survive pretty well.

By the well, was Wotname's listing of no Internet access tongue-in-cheek? His post did, after all, appear here on the Internet and require Internet access to get here. Internet access is one of the things I miss most when we're on the hook in a remote location.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:12   #122
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice View Post

By the well, was Wotname's listing of no Internet access tongue-in-cheek? His post did, after all, appear here on the Internet and require Internet access to get here. Internet access is one of the things I miss most when we're on the hook in a remote location.
Yes, it was. Probably posted after a busy "office day" of too many phone calls, emails and too much web searching .
Although I have to add I don't miss internet access when I am away from the big smoke.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 15:08   #123

Missing internet

For about the first week I miss internet... duck in to little ports I know with internet cafés, even a marina with the god-awful pay-through-the-nose terrible wi-fi. Then I finally settle into sailing mode, and try to remember to find a payphone some time before people back home call the coast guard.

Then I run out of money and sail home.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 15:24   #124

Boat: Riviera 35
The question was, where to go in what has seemed to become a total meltdown situation. By this, we are moving effectively into "Survival mode" with all that this entails. We therefore need:

1. Shelter. This is provided by our boats.
2. To be in an area where the rule of law is effectively maintained. Or, to be so far away from the uphieval of mankind with looting and the like, so as to be secure.
3. Water - This can be achieved with a desalination plant and water purification.
4. Food - While we can stock up now, we could not last for years on stockpiled food.
5. Power - This requires fuel.
6. Warmth - Either from climate or some form of heating.

So, our location will require items 2,4,5, and 6 to be taken into consideration. If we reduce demands by going somewhere with a mild climate, we can secure item 6.

Thus, we need security (probably a Country where we would be accepted), food, and fuel. Hmmmmm.

What Country would likely be highest in ability to produce food?
What Country has it's own integral fuel supplies?
What Country is likely to be the most secure?

Hmmmm. Difficult to answer, innit.

How about somewhere just off the beaten track in the USA? Sounds good to me!
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 15:33   #125

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Take an insight get the movies Mad Max and Water world I loved the cat in Water World.
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 15:50   #126

Yeah, WaterWorld was good, but......

Where did they get their fuel and food from? ? ?
Old 17-08-2008, 15:57   #127

the fuel was the wind That is why I like cats so much, i still rember when he was getting chased and he put up that sail that boat did move. Food fishing I would have to see the movie again.
but at the time I did think is that happend how would you do maintance
Old 17-08-2008, 16:07   #128

I have just added a lathe to my "List of gear to take if we get into a survival situation"
Old 17-08-2008, 16:22   #129

OK now you got me thiking I should D/Load it and watch it again.

The future has arrived, and it brings a world composed entirely of water, due to the melting of the polar ice caps. In this desperate society one must distill one's own urine for drinking water, and land is only a myth people dream of. Roaming the high seas is the Mariner, a surly, selfish man/fish mutant with no name. But his loner existence changes when a woman named Helen and an orphaned girl named Enola save his life, and the Mariner reluctantly agrees to take them along with him. At first the Mariner has a rocky relationship with his two passengers; then he realizes that the tattoo on Enola's back is a map leading to the never-seen "Dryland". But as the trio struggles to decipher the map, they must also try to escape a band of filthy, reckless thugs known as "Smokers", led by the maniacal, one-eyed Deacon. Then the Smokers kidnap Enola, turning the Mariner into a one-man killing machine desperate to rescue his human map.
And only if he succeeds will they ever know the feel of solid ground beneath their feet.

REVIEW

The polar ice caps have melted, and dirt is a prized commodity, like petrol in the Mad Max trilogy. In fact, almost everything in Waterworld is like the Mad Max trilogy (the movie could be called Wet Max), except for its pace. The director, Kevin Reynolds, doesn't give us the cartoon-kinetic jolts of George Miller; he gives us exhausting physical realism. The relentless forward journey, over water instead of scorching desert, progresses against harsh and unforgiving backdrops, like the cattle drives in Anthony Mann's westerns. Yet, for all the motion, we get no real sense of progression: The damned vast expanse of ocean always looks the same as it did two scenes ago. Reynolds wants us to experience the endless sea as the characters do: both wide open and smothering -- the way you felt as a kid, looking up at the stars in the night sky and feeling infinity come over you in a frightening rush. Some of the images have a suffocating grandeur. Water, water everywhere.
Old 17-08-2008, 16:29   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Under Ceausescu, the farmers in Romania were the best off because they were not reliant upon anyone for their survival. I think the key to survival is to not be reliant upon anyone. I don't think it matters where you are geographically as long as you are in this situation.

Even for someone with a boat, I don't think you can possibly be independent indefinitely. We are land creatures and a boat is not a naturally occurring product of an aquatic environment. Ultimately a boat will need things which we cannot provide for on our own. It would be like saying an airplane could remain aloft forever and support a person on board. On land in the right circumstances we could survive indefinitely.

A small tropical island with a minimal population, its own stable government and no need for the outside world, I think would be the ideal place to survive. This is provided it is not overwhelmed with refugees from the outside world overtaxing the food and water supply.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 22:41   #131

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Take an insight get the movies Mad Max and Water world I loved the cat in Water World.
Try a tri (maran)

Dave
Old 20-08-2008, 01:36   #132

Boat: Islander 36
"Life is a box of.....
nevermind.
"Life is a crap sandwich, and every now and then you have to take a bite."

or is that, "Nothing ventured and no birds in the bush."
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 02:14   #133
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
... A small tropical island with a minimal population, its own stable government and no need (sic: self-reliant) for the outside world, I think would be the ideal place to survive. This is provided it is not overwhelmed with refugees from the outside world overtaxing the food and water supply.
Is there any such paradisaical place?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 06:35   #134

There quite probably is Gord, but the people already there, are not going to say on here, as then, we'd all be there!

If you know what I mean.

And then, it wouldn't be "paradisiacal" any more.

If you go back in history a few hundred years, there was just such a place, rich in agricultural land, rich in minerals, rich in all natural resources.

And then, Columbus discovered it.

(Or Amerigo Vaspuchi, or Brenden, or whomever, depending on the history teachers you had at school).
Old 20-08-2008, 07:59   #135
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I thought it was Capt Cook who "discovered" it.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote