Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2008, 14:10   #106
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Ex-Calif,

That is exactly what I said in an earlier post. I am headed to the Philipppines no matter what the economy does just as soon as I can. Beside I stole their national treasure, and need to return it..................my wife
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	3399  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 14:55   #107

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Panama, west or east. In most central american countries you can go up a river and hand pan an ounce of gold in a few days.

There are some great minds working this thread. Thanks. It distills down to if the sky falls just chill out for a few years and wait for the cycle to change. No better place than a boat in an area where you can provide some or most of your needs.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 16:26   #108
cruiser

Excellent post!

I can really appreciate a good "I love my wife" post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Ex-Calif,

That is exactly what I said in an earlier post. I am headed to the Philipppines no matter what the economy does just as soon as I can. Beside I stole their national treasure, and need to return it..................my wife
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 16:30   #109
cruiser

Now THIS is a plan!

Best one yet. I agree. You can't exactly practice survival skills in an environment you aren't familiar with. If you *really* want to survive, it's a full time job just eating, drinking and staying warm and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
As goes America so goes the world. While the value of our money is one matter the defense like it or not we provide stops a good part of the world from devouring each other, yank that from the equation because we can no longer afford it and the problems elsewhere grow expotentionally. If this scenario were to happen there would be far more people running around the world wondering what to do, where to live and what to eat than just us few sailors. I know right where I would go. No further than where I am at, the good ol U. S. of A. There are far more vast places to survive here than most other places. I'd grab a couple of folks on this board, many already have plenty of real survival skills. We'll strip our boats of needed parts, move up to my place in North Carolina. Plenty of good land to grow plenty of food, good streams, plenty of deer and lumber for shelters and fire wood. We'll hang all those solar panels and wind generators tied to all those salvaged boat batteries. We'll live like kings and be part time Wal-Mart greeters for fun.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 19:13   #110

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Panama, west or east. In most central american countries you can go up a river and hand pan an ounce of gold in a few days.

Ummm.

Gee.

I find that hard to believe since I think the locals would be doing it instead of anything else.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 19:45   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Antarctica.....

There is no economy to collapse. There is no currency to collapse. Only penguins are likely to get into wars with each other. Nobody hates your country. Nobody is going to be moving their armies through your country. There is virtually no pollution. It is uncrowded. Very few fellow yachties are likely to move there seeking the same refuge. The weather is no different than living in Canada. There are no ridiculous laws to abide by. There are no taxes. And best of all?...there is no cellphone service!

What more could you want?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 18:40   #112

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Antarctica.....

There is no economy to collapse. There is no currency to collapse. Only penguins are likely to get into wars with each other. Nobody hates your country. Nobody is going to be moving their armies through your country. There is virtually no pollution. It is uncrowded. Very few fellow yachties are likely to move there seeking the same refuge. The weather is no different than living in Canada. There are no ridiculous laws to abide by. There are no taxes. And best of all?...there is no cellphone service!

Firewood to keep warm?

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 19:13   #113
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
Antarctica.....

Firewood to keep warm?

Steve B.

The book 101 ways to cook penguin?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 19:22   #114

Remember the Falklands

I have not had time to read the entire thread. But I was reminded for the group who wished to avoid a war. So after careful research they moved to the Falkland Islands. And then ...

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 15:45   #115

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
I haven't read all this very long thread, but can't see anyone talking about Mexico? 'Specially the Gulf of California/Sea of Cortez. If you were already west coast US it wouldn't be a difficult place to hibernate in a boat for a few years. Anyone any recent experience of this area? Cost, sailing, marinas, etc.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 23:05   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Ex-Calif,

Wow pare! Pinaka maganda ang asawa mo.

ang asawo ko ay pilipina rin.

However, my tagalog sucks - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 17:28   #117

Wow!! I still like the good ole USA....they may be trying to redistribute our money...and some of our rights are gradually slipping away....but we still have more than most. Happy 4th of July
Old 05-07-2008, 08:43   #118

Boat: Dream to Buy One
Send a message via Yahoo to Possibilities Send a message via Skype™ to Possibilities
Any suggestions?

Hi Jim,

I am a woman and only now learning about boats and sailing. I am in Mexico at this moment thinking to sail to Spain or Greece? What would be the best months to depart and do you recommend any good literature? What unexpected can I expect? What about Internet access?

If you are interested in the US economy (since you posted under the question), I suggest you to listen to Coast To Coast AM (through the Internet), it will give you pretty accurate picture as not to return to US as fast (I am not an American). Will you also go to Turkey?

Sorry for all these questions but after I visited your website I felt as to message you this.

Bliss to you all!
Jana

Energizing Technologies
Possibilities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:29   #119
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I deleted three off topic, political posts, and another that referred to them. Let's get back on topic and off the political rant-wagon, please.
Old 13-07-2008, 20:25   #120

Heh...

Well, it all depends on what you mean by "meltdown", I suppose.

I might want to wander up the coast, somehwere in the Jungles of BC's coast. Only a day or three from good-sized towns with plenty of maritime supplies, but far enough away from most everything to avoid the insanity of people who might freak out if large economic engines implode temporarily.

Fannie May and Freddie Mac have, for all intents and purposes, been looted and emptied. Which is fine; no one really expected they'd stand this long after the subprime debacle. The USA is bound to prop them up. They can't afford not to. Which may or may not have a devaluing effect on the dollar.

What it means for "all the little people" is pretty much ho hum. Expect less credit, make sure you buy your boat goodies with cash, and learn to preserve your own food to save a ton of bucks. Be wary that your favourite marina/boatyard/builder doesn't go out of business unexpectedly, possibly leaving you and your boat in an uncomfortable situation. (Don't buy a new boat on credit in a building queue, whatever you do.)

Sail more frugally.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote