Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2008, 20:47   #91

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
When the US sneezes, the world catches a cold. That's what my Chilean boat builder told me.

Anyway, I think I would go to Greece. It was relatively cheep and the people have dealt with some level of economic depression for centuries.

Eat Greek salads, cheep wine, fish when you can find it. The only problem is winter and I think I'd go to Turkey when it got too cold.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 01:23   #92

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I think I would stick around the west coast of Canada in among the Canadian Gulf Islands as far north as Port Hardy. Lots of fish available. Have a good heater in the boat and there are Islands where they still think it's the sixties. I think in some places it's more layback than rural Mexico.
Old 18-03-2008, 04:37   #93
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I am sailing to New York.

In a global meltdown some high flyers will be looking to lessen their Manhatten rents. I will take them aboard and rent out the forrard cabin for only $5,000 per week. This is such a huge cost saving to them + they will have a waterfront view.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 05:42   #94
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I am sailing to New York.

In a global meltdown some high flyers will be looking to lessen their Manhatten rents. I will take them aboard and rent out the forrard cabin for only $5,000 per week. This is such a huge cost saving to them + they will have a waterfront view.
You never know... maybe a few Bear Stearns employees will need a place.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 08:02   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Probably Croatia...its not on the radar of the western world, its beautiful with all its islands, there are marinas and services and its inexpensive. Bottom line is not everyone else will be going there.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 08:11   #96

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Probably Croatia...its not on the radar of the western world, its beautiful, there are marinas and services and its inexpensive. Bottom line is not everyone else will be going there.
Now they will since ya told em.
Soon to be a EU member too no doubt.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 13:56   #97

Boat: Looking with intent
Well, let's see. There is the Southern Islands of Sicily (great food and not expensive, though not alot of protected habours either). Italian Ionian, from the Bay of Taranto around to the Adriatic are good for the same reasons. Than being that I am a dual citizen and a trained health professional, any of the French republic islands around the world as I can work without a visa or permit and family gets taken care of. Right, now working on getting the boat though and the Wife a degree that she wants and healing from a health problem.
Chiroeurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 14:37   #98

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiroeurope View Post
. Than being that I am a dual citizen and a trained health professional, any of the French republic islands around the world as I can work without a visa or permit and family gets taken care of.
Please see this thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...t-13146-2.html

and add comment to my and hellosailor's posts.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 17:11   #99
DWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkev View Post
I was reading an article online last night concerning the imminent collapse of the U.S. economy (they predicted 3rd quarter of 08) and was wondering if this did happen what would you pick to be the best destinations to weather the storm... especially considering the economic, political, etc. effects it would have on the destination country?
At 55 of age I am no old timer but, I have heard Chichen Little "The sky is falling" to many time to get excited.

So to answer your question if things did get rough. I do not think so much about a county but a place where in my boat I can get fresh water to drink, buy large bags of rice and dried black beans and where the diving and fishing is great and......... just sit tight for awhile.

David
69 Morgan 30'
Carolann
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 17:30   #100
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Go where the fish are....They are not as dumb as you may think and learn to make your own lures!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 18:32   #101
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I am heading to San Blas, Panama but don`t tell too many people as we dont want this paradise to get too crowed during the upcoming collapse

Panama will always have traffic thru the Canal regardless of the global economy and the Kunas will always rule at Kuna Yala

Best

JC
Old 22-04-2008, 21:47   #102
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
As goes America so goes the world. While the value of our money is one matter the defense like it or not we provide stops a good part of the world from devouring each other, yank that from the equation because we can no longer afford it and the problems elsewhere grow expotentionally. If this scenario were to happen there would be far more people running around the world wondering what to do, where to live and what to eat than just us few sailors. I know right where I would go. No further than where I am at, the good ol U. S. of A. There are far more vast places to survive here than most other places. I'd grab a couple of folks on this board, many already have plenty of real survival skills. We'll strip our boats of needed parts, move up to my place in North Carolina. Plenty of good land to grow plenty of food, good streams, plenty of deer and lumber for shelters and fire wood. We'll hang all those solar panels and wind generators tied to all those salvaged boat batteries. We'll live like kings and be part time Wal-Mart greeters for fun.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 23:34   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Just an observation - Many of us need to chill out and stick our feet in the sand somewhere.

We are so tight in the gut about things and wound so tight we really forget that there are places you can go, by sailboat, where people will welcome a stranger to the campfire, they will share their food and drink and will expect little in return.

I can think of about 50 places in Asia right now where you could live on a boat for a few hundred a month.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 00:11   #104

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

I can think of about 50 places in Asia right now where you could live on a boat for a few hundred a month.
I'm goin' as fast as I can

Then I'm on my way

KK looks nice

Google Maps

Dave
Old 23-04-2008, 13:02   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A couple of (very) differing views on the economy, as delivered to the annual Marine Design Resource Alliance (MDRA) conference, held in Sea Island, Georgia.
One economist sees a recovery in six months, while the other doesn't see a return to normal levels of boat sales until 2010.
Goto:
Surviving the "Perfect Storm"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote