Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 01:53   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Nicely put, Blonde.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:28   #32

Here I was thinking,dosen't happen a lot!!,If the US $ takes a dive,"Dosen't that mean it's gonna be worth sh#T no matter where ya go??"The last place ya would want to go is where the cost of local produce is high.eg..New zealand.Sorry to the Kiwi's but I spent 3 weeks there at Xmas,not cheap.Unless ya like Aussie VB,cheaper than at home,go figure.

I think just traveling around and living on the hook might surpass for awhile,but sooner or latter ya gonna have to touch ground.So it would be smart to go to a place (like someone else pointed out)where money has no real meaning.Face it,if your $ takes a big dive,it wont be the best time to spend it neadlessly.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:06   #33

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
South America is still a bargain, and quite stable. Travel there often and often peruse the real estate ads etc. Know lots of locals so I KNOW the living expenses are minimal compared to the U.S. (I know about Chavez etc., so don't even go there. I'm talking about OTHER places, like Chile, Argentina, Peru). There is no need to move your money, just yourself.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:33   #34

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
Well, if it comes to an economic collapse, which I think is incredably unlikely, I want all my guns on board. Hungry people tend to not abide by their typical morality. If farmers cant afford their gas, they cant grow food. Not enough food = starvation and resulting population correction. I will be going to the Amazon. Tons of food for the picking, fishing and hunting. Screw a dollar. Its just paper anyways. Ever seen the pictures of post WWI Germany? Women taking wagon loads of currency to pay for just a loaf of bread. The economy is not in significant trouble, but I still have my boat and guns, just in case.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:36   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
It makes me wonder that if we really did have a world economic collapse, that all those people who are already in ideal places will be standing on the beach yelling at the refuges in sailboats to not even think about coming ashore. I would not blame them for wanting to keep things how they are...nice and quiet and not crowded.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:56   #36

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Just covert all your wealth into gold and use it instead of lead as ballast. The only problem with that is that my boat would likely turtle.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:59   #37
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Waterworldly, I agree with you about South America and would actually include Venezuela. Although I am not going to get into a political debate here, suffice it to say that when Chavez lost the referendum for constitutional reform in December, this became his last term in office. Regardless, even Chavez has consistently said that he will not nationalize anything but monopolies or property that has gone unused for a significant period (and even then, the courts must rule on the expropriation). He has also made numerous speeches confirming that the private sector is, even in his opinion, still critical to the future development of the country. And no matter what one thinks of Chavez, to this point there have been huge improvements in health care, education and infrastructure that seem certain to continue regardless of the leadership.

It is important to note that, while Chavez was re-elected a year ago by a substantial majority (in an election monitored and approved by the UN and by Jimmy Carter's organization for democracy), the voters nevertheless turned down his referendum on constitutional change and showed that they are still a nation of laws.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:06   #38

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
By the way I get paid in Canadian dollars and presently live in a country that has their currency peg to the U.S. dollar. The fuel is about one quarter of the price in Canada. Groceries are cheap. So for now it's ok.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:55   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
A couple of things to remember about decamping to the 3rd world is that.........they also have inflation and their currencies can also appreciate.

Amen. The US dollar has suffered from inflation for sure. Meanwhile, the Jamaican dollar started out in 1962 at $1.40 US and now a US dollar buys about 70 Jamaican dollars. The Jamaican dollar is fairly typical of third world currencies. Even it looks very stable compared to the Mexican peso. Be careful where you jump.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 13:20   #40
CF Adviser

I wasn't suggesting converting all your USD (or other assets) into foreign currency, especially ones from the third world. Its just that you will get much more bang for the buck on what you do make liquid.

Brad
Old 10-03-2008, 14:20   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I wasn't suggesting converting all your USD (or other assets) into foreign currency, especially ones from the third world. Its just that you will get much more bang for the buck on what you do make liquid.

Brad
I didn't read it as that - the thing to remember is that even if you do not convert all your assets into foreign money (and of course most would need a bl##dy good reason to do that!), you are still at risk of your spending power declining from simply being based in a 3rd world country for a long time and having your assets in USD (GBP/EUR) - as you are spending in local money......of course no easy options and I am not saying "don't do it" (to anybody /anything)......but I originally made the point because folk can just assume that a Major currency remains at a certain (and high!) level against all 3rd world currencies, when this is not always the case........

Of course, if I knew exactly what I was doing when it comes to currencies I would be typing this from my Megayacht moored in Monaco. and I am not (honest )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:37   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Brad
Several Canadian fortunes* were founded on “liquid” assets, during the US Prohibition (Volstead Act 1920-33).

* ie: Distillers such as Sam and Harry Bronfman (Seagrams), Hiram Walker (Hiram Walker and Sons Distillery - “Canadian Club”), not to mention the outright Gangsters like Al Capone et al.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:16   #43
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Economy good, or bad I am headed to the Philippines just as soon as I can.......LOLOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:03   #44
CF Adviser

Good line Gord - and you are absolutely correct. Mind you some American fortunes (eg. Joseph Kennedy) were also purportedly based upon 'liquid' assets during the time of prohibition.

Seriously, though, if the US dollar continues to weaken, then its buying power will be reduced all over the planet. I took the idea of this post as being places to go where you can still get some (relative) bang for the buck, rather than places in which to invest.

Brad
Old 11-03-2008, 09:29   #45

Boat: HT 26. Currently in Mallorca
Well, sold the house last Friday,invested a little in a mini refit,in May we go to buy a small house in Turkey, near the water and then in September, a six week cruise to move the boat from Majorca down to where the house is in Turkey.Then back to work.

Not big bucks but heading in the right direction.

Steve