Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 08:51   #301

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Gong to Australia reminds me of the book about a US nuke sub after a nuc war. I think it is called the beach.
Anyway they go south to AUS cause its the only place with civilization left, until the cloud of radiation finally gets there and everyone dies.

Was a depressing book then, and now when I think of it.... read it almost 40 years ago.

There are places to go that will be pretty much empty after 6 months or a year.
A well fit out voyager could take a long time sailing there, and when arrived, find a empty place. It would not be tropical, but then again, even the tropics would probably clear out as people understood they would not be able to eat once the resupply ship stopped coming.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:20   #302
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
"On the Beach" Nevil Shute

Good read.

Also a movie: Re: Wiki

On the Beach (1959) is a post-apocalyptic drama film based on Nevil Shute's 1957 novel of the same name featuring Gregory Peck (USS Sawfish captain Dwight Lionel Towers), Ava Gardner (Moira Davidson), Fred Astaire (scientist Julian – John in the novel – Osborne) and Anthony Perkins (Australian naval officer Peter Holmes). It was directed by Stanley Kramer, who won the 1960 BAFTA for best director. Ernest Gold won the 1960 Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture Score. It was remade as an Australian television film by Southern Star Productions in 2000.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:27   #303

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Considering that in the islands - when the ships with food stop coming - you may just be invited over for(as) dinner - the mountains or wilds of the home country would probably be a better alternative. Problem is mountain/wilderness survival skills are quite different from sailing/cruising skills.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:37   #304

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Hpeer, that is the one. Thanks. Was a very depressing book, but then I guess it would be hard to make it any other way.

osirissail, I would think the best thing to do would be to head out into the open ocean, with 1 year of food supply, a water maker, and plenty of fuel. Come back in a year.....
You would have to be one hell of a sailor to do that though...
Old 05-01-2010, 07:31   #305

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Looking at the thread title - "Global Economic Depression" I would think that we are originally talking about what is occurring now. Where to ride out the current problems with collapsed markets and increased unemployment for a year or two.
- - I would think that any "remote" or low population place along the US ICW system would be very good. Low cost living on a boat along with removal from the problems and costs of major population centers. North & South Carolina & Georgia and maybe northern Florida offer some remote places where you can hang on the hook and keep in touch with Wifi or internet cafe's/shops/marinas to track you assets.
- - Having your financials set up to be managed by internet access is important in both good and bad times as a cruiser.
- - Outside USA territorial waters I would rate Luperion in the Dominican Republic at the top of the list for "economical (cheap)" places to hunker down until good times return. Same with Dominica in the Windwards - a place with very low population, low costs of being there and very good access to local foods instead of imports. Outside the "hurricane belt" places like Venezuela would be very cheap (except for repairing bullet holes in your boat). Also Central America from Panama to Guatemala on either the Caribbean or Pacific sides would probably be great places to minimize living costs.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote