Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2016, 19:14   #1

Glen L 14 for a 1st time family boat?

I'm interested in a Glen L 14 that is on Craig's list. It looks like it is great condition and includes 2 sails and a working motor and trailer. Any own a Glen 14 and would you say it's a good family day sailer?. Is it easy to sail single handed? Also is there any advice on what to look for when buying a Glen? Is there any negatives or things to frequently replace. Finally does $1300 sound decent for a sail price. Thanks for any and all thoughts

Sailer Steve-

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailor steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 04:47   #2

Re: Glen L 14 for a 1st time family boat?

Not familiar with the design but the problem with home built boats is they could be incredibly well built works of art or they could be total clusters. End result is most people make offers based on them being clusters and resale prices reflect this.

What is the motor? I newish outboard may be worth $1300 depending on HP. Likewise the trailer may have some value. Hard to say without seeing it in person.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 05:02   #3

Boat: Vagabond 14

From the drawings....

Shouldn't be much different to operate vs the Vagabond I have. (if they rigged it by the drawings)
Probably just a bit easier to step the mast.

That would make it fairly easy to single handed sail and a decent beginner level boat.

This all assumes its well built and isn't starting to rot out. Its a wood/plywood hull and even if built well, if its not cared for its going to have issues.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 05:31   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

This design has been around a long time, built 1 in the late 60s. Sailed sweetly, a good starter boat, imho.
Old 25-04-2016, 05:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Also depends on how many in the family. Two adults and a child or two small children at most would be the max you could comfortably and safely fit.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:41   #6

Boat: Swan 40; Yankee Dolphin; International Fireball, Naples Sabot; Klepper Kayak with Sail Rig

Steve,

The Glen L 14 may be a fine boat and it could be just right for your needs. There are a couple of other things you might want to consider. One is how difficult it will be to sell when you are ready to move on to something else, and the other has to do with developing your sailing skills. Based on your post, I am assuming that you may not have a lot of sailing experience. Racing small boats in one-design classes is a good way to quickly learn and can be a fun family activity. I would look to see what boats are actively sailed and maybe raced where you live. Members of a local sailing club might be a good resource in helping you to find a suitable boat and steepen your learning curve.
Happy Sailing,
Alan
Alan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 08:52   #7

Boat: Nonsuch U30

Get a fiberglass boat like a Sweet 16, you will do more sailing and less repair and upkeep than with a wood boat. When it comes time to sell, you will get your money out of it.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 11:01   #8

Boat: Scout 30

This could be a real gem provided it was built right & is in good condition. Small wooden sailboats like this are actually quite popular right now & can be worth much more than fiberglass boats.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 19:51   #9

Thanks for all the input everyone. I've only had experience sailing during my ASA courses and some outings on a fiberglass Clark 11'. I'll look at the hull closely and ask a lot of questions when I go and see it. The pictures look like he has taken good care of it.
Thanks again

Old 26-04-2016, 20:52   #10

I'm going to look at the All-Wood Glen L 14 tomorrow and wondering if you had 3 things too look at when considering a Craig's list buy, what would they be? Any on the spot test that should be done? It's going to be on the trailer so won't be able to put in the water.

Thanks for any advice

Old 26-04-2016, 21:38   #11

Boat: Swan 40; Yankee Dolphin; International Fireball, Naples Sabot; Klepper Kayak with Sail Rig

1. Clear title and registration. I once bought a sixteen footer and later discovered the registration is for a twelve footer.
2. Completeness and functionality: Step mast and bend on sails and rig to make sure everything you need is there and it works.
3. General condition of hull: Does it need paint or varnish. With a wood boat, I would like some assurance it doesn't leak. Maybe use a hose to put some water on the inside.
4. Condition of outboard. Hang it from the transom with the prop in a garbage can of water to see if it will start.
5. Condition of trailer. Is it roadworthy. Is there rust? Do the lights work? How old are the tires? Have they been sitting in the sun for years?

More than three, but that's what comes to mind.

Good Luck
Alan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 21:55   #12

Boat: Scout 30

Look for rot or soft spots. Anywhere a seam has opened up water can get in. Water can also get in around fittings. Look for cracks anywhere it's glassed. Check the mast & boom for rot or soft spots. The owner won't want you probing but tapping should be ok. You'll get a dull thud with bad wood. If the wood is varnished or bright you'll see a dark spot where it's bad. Try to find out what he built it with. Hopefully West System epoxy but any good quality epoxy will work. Check the sails out for wear. Start the motor if possible. Check out the trailer for rust, especially the axle. Hopefully the trailer's aluminum or at least galvanized. Ask how long it's been since the bearings were repacked. Add some grease to the hubs. If you have to pull it far stop after a few miles & feel the hubs to see if they're hot. The price is very reasonable but remember, the cheapest boat is often the most expensive in the long run. You might want to go on the WoodenBoat forum & ask. There will be a lot of experts there.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family