Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 22:00   #16

Well, I guess both.... I'm debating on situating things to where I can spend 100k-125k on a boat and move it to my local lake to acclimate myself to make sure it's something I want to do but I have a hard time absorbing the depreciation in the mean time and having an older boat when I actually am ready to go. Like I said I'm only 27 so responsibly I need to build up the 401 and other investments before I head out out, I don't know what the right answer is, follow a dream or save and hope to follow the dream when I'm old and the permanent funds are acquired. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 03:29   #17

If your budget is 125 try buying something for half that. That way you have funds available for repairs that will crop up. There are a good many good boats out there for that.
Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 00:25   #18

Boat: Beneteau 393
Re: Future Boat Purchase?

We are looking at the mahe 36 2 berth. It is going to be the 2 of us most of the time with our 3 tiny dogs. We have been approved for our financing and as soon as the house sells we will pAy down the note and sell all of the things that we will not need. All of the things we have collected over the last 26 years as well as all of the stuff we have inherited. We will leave with a cruising kitty of no less than $50,000.00 not including our monthly income or we will not take off. That part is non negotiable since we both know that we want to come back to see the kids and grandkids and expect the unexpected to always show up.

We have the rv that we will live in when not on the boat. ( we want to visit family but not stay with family) and that also gives us somewhere to stay after the house sells until we get to retire at the end of 2014. We have changed our spending and after the bills that go with the house that will end up non issues once it sells we are only spending what is needed. And even though the family members that have decided that we are here to supplement their income are not pleased with our decisions, we have cut out paying others bills. I do not know if it is the same every where else but the stress of everyone else's short comings seem to fall on our shoulders. I truly had the conversation with a sibling about my income..... They wanted me to make their house payment since I made more money then they do.... So I explained that since everyone else thought that way too and had their hands out on payday, I brought home less than everyone else. I was thinking that wold be enough to sink in but they got mad that I "help everyone but them"... I guess you can not win.
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase