Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 13:03   #16

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Free Stuff (and bargains) you HAVE acquired or snaffled!

I once got a surgical sterilizer from the dump, the person throwing it out said it still works, every time I walk across the boatyards or the parking lot, at the dock, people leave perfectly good stainless steel screws, washers, nuts etc... lying on the ground for me to find.
Old 11-04-2013, 13:07   #17

Best one I can think of was a Webasto forced air heater for $10. Some guy had no idea what it was, and he thought it was a space heater from Target.

I got my Walker Bay 8 with sailkit for $400. The boat alone is $800, and another $800 for the sail kit.

I've paid full price for a lot of stuff too. Like most long-time boat owners who do their own work I've learned the hard way about where and how to save money, but at least I've learned (and am learning).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 13:07   #18

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I live in the US where you can get welfare, free medical care, free schooling, food stamps and a free cell phone for just being here. No papers, visas, documents required. What a deal! Why would I choose to live anywhere else?? Phil
Hey, that sounds great! I want to live there too. Where I live all I get is the privilege to pay high taxes so that others can get welfare, free medical care, free schooling, free.... WAIT.... Oh man
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 13:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I am amazed and sometimes appalled at what others chuck.
100% agreement but in the case of anyone underway living on a boat the waterline is important so we end up "throwing away" a lot of great items. This can mean selling it cheap at a marine swap meet, giving it to a friend, or just leaving it in a communal area that resembles a "free table" and hoping people get the hint.

Like right now I have two angle grinders but I only need one and the other is missing a retaining nut (for the disc). So I'm either going to sell it for a give-away price or just give it away. Spending a day hiking around Mexico looking for a retaining nut just isn't in the cards.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 13:16   #20

I found a alcohol stove next to a dumpster some years ago. An older model with accelerated burning. I just needed to clean off the extinguishing powder from it (never fill these things when hot). Six years ago I found about 10 old laboratory bench tops made from iroko teak. I use this material for everything! But my best find must be the workshop, complete with two guys at my place of work, who have taught me how to work stainless steel and let me use all of the equipment for free, coupled with a boss who doesn't mind that I sometimes (mostly this time of year) build stuff for my boat on company time
Nautihamstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 13:33   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
During the tsunami a large powerboat on my dock burst two large 12" fenders. Taylor Made. I fished them out of the dumpster, took them to West Marine, and was given two brand-new replacements due to Taylor Made's lifetime guarantee against burst seams.
So the only cost was your integrity?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 13:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I live in the US where you can get welfare, free medical care, free schooling, food stamps and a free cell phone for just being here. No papers, visas, documents required. What a deal! Why would I choose to live anywhere else?? Phil
I agree Phil! I'm living in the US until the fools that pay for the, "Free stuff" wise up!
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 14:26   #23

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
Hey, that sounds great! I want to live there too. Where I live all I get is the privilege to pay high taxes so that others can get welfare, free medical care, free schooling, free.... WAIT.... Oh man

You too?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:20   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

well I was dumpster diving yesterday and picked up some charts of the Pacific, Atlantic and Caribbean. Still looking for Mexico and Central America charts.

Mr. Timmy also has a almost new cat condo (cat stand climbing thingy) that is his new pride and joy.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:26   #25

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

From FreeCycle here in Florida last week 2 very clean 30 x 10 fenders. Just 8 blocks from the boat, should have used a bicycle to pick them up....Yeah FreeCycle.org
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:38   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I was given a 1750-1800 circa timber frame house in "Historic Salisbury NC" ,hell Danial Boone could have stayed in this house! I had it for one week and sold it ! I should not be taken any more projects ,I cant say no..I went thru town and saw 2 big sailboats in this fellow yard on trailers,may go ask for those soon!!? I need 2 more boats..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:02   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I was given about 200 board feet of Jarrah wood. Its nearly indestrucatable - like very hard teak. Our marina sells off 'junk' from dismantled boats. Lots of SS bits for about 1/10th new price. I ran into light winch handles at Wolf's Marine for 15 bucks each - also BIG Merriman blocks for 1" track - 3 for 200; hand sized galvanized shackles for 5 bucks. I work at a machine shop. I can get machining and welding done for beer (try not to abuse this one!!) Scrap bits of aluminum, plastic, SS comes from the junk bin.

Remember, share your surpluss & not-needed stuff and make your buddy's day. Amazing what comes back to you when you need it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:31   #28

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Most of mine have come from the side of the road or floating in the gulf.

fenders, buckets, life jackets and a nice gore-tex jacket that fit the wife. Back in the 80s when one cost hundreds and hundreds. Even tried going through the phone book since there was a name in it. No luck. The wife wore it for years and years.
Old 11-04-2013, 17:32   #29

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I got a free Raymarine Tillerpilot ST1000+ from a friend who had bought a MacGregor that had it on board. He sold the boat after a couple of years but still had a box of miscellaneous gear he had taken off the boat and stored in his garage. He didn't know what that strange gray thingy was.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:41   #30

I find that the most valuable thing I've gotten comes from you guys...well online in general too.

I found this site with free charts.

Chart 18502
Bonvivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Free Stuff