Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 09:26   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Foul Weather Gear.

I'd like some opinions on who makes the best gear out there? I'm a large guy and need to buy all new gear, so I'm interested in getting some input.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 09:59   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Foul weather gear.

Hi, Peter. I had my Musto foulies on over the weekend running a safety boat at our haulout. The Western Gap was cold and swelly, but the foulies and Gill sea boots did well in the 10 C cold.

I got the bib overalls for $65 at a Dock Shoppe sale. I'm no ballerina, either, but they fit well if a touch long in the leg (not an objection to my mind).

I also wore these on an Atlantic delivery in '09, but that was never colder than 12C or so. I would class them as "good for the lake, but wear thermals beneath them if it's under 10C".

I would think you'd want for really cold weather (0C-10C in strong wind) a sort of layered approach: T-Shirt, underwear, some kind of long-sleeved thermal ski shirt, a fleece-type sweater with a turtleneck, bib foulies, perhaps a nylon shell vest over that, then a decent jacket with hood, a toque, and on your feet thermal socks and seaboots. On your hands, I have had good results with full-fingered bike gloves from MEC, over which I have giant orange linesman's neoprene gloves. Diver's gloves work well, too.

Lastly, of course, add PFD and tether if required.

You can pull off the "top" gloves if you need to handle a knot or something.

My experience driving open motorboats and barges and sailboats in rough conditions persuades me that keeping warm is critical and I focus on head, hands and feet. I don't know your current size, but I've found Henri Lloyd and Musto to work for me. Going by sizes is futile: you have to wear the intended thicknesses of undergarments and THEN step into the overalls and jacket. Then you have to get on hands and knees and move around and haul yourself up. Some of this stuff won't be constricting in the shop with bare legs, but will be when in the real world where you have to crawl forward to douse a sail or something. If you can't move, they are useless.

If we go into higher latitudes, I'll need to do more research.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:37   #3

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Gill has a lifetime guarantee. I had a zipper blow out and they replaced it no questions asked.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 05:23   #4

Personally, I go to the places that cater to commercial fishermen for my weather gear">foul weather gear. It seems to be made better, and costs far less, than the stuff that is targeted to recreational sailors. I can't point you to any particular websites, because the last time I bought foul weather gear I didn't have internet access--that's how long it has been.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 13:00   #5

Boat: Pearson 33

Grundens if you want to stay warm and dry.
dugout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 13:05   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
^^+1^^ Much cheaper and lasts much longer. Also, the fisherman's gear drip dries much, much quicker. The nylon foul weather gear becomes a sodden mess after awhile and can take days to dry out.
Old 30-10-2012, 03:28   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8Heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugout
Just went thru Sandy on deck with 3xl Grundens. Highly recommended.
Gr8Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 08:11   #8

Can't argue with horizontal rain.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 30-10-2012, 14:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Personally, I go to the places that cater to commercial fishermen for my foul weather gear. It seems to be made better, and costs far less, than the stuff that is targeted to recreational sailors. I can't point you to any particular websites, because the last time I bought foul weather gear I didn't have internet access--that's how long it has been.
Fisherman have to wash fish guts off of their foulies. I do not. I like the breathable stuff, I can also stay cool in it. We wore foulies from about day 2 on a delivery from Maui to Vancouver this summer. I stayed very comfortable.

I wash and re-waterproof my gear occasionally with the stuff from Grangers.

I also wear breathable boots as I get foot issues from wearing rubber boots for too long. Breathable boots are also warmer. Rubber boots just get hot and sweaty.

My gear

HH offshore bib - I wear these most of the time as I do not like a wet bum.
Gill Atlantic jacket
Dubarry Ultima boots.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 15:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Fisherman have to wash fish guts off of their foulies. I do not. I like the breathable stuff, I can also stay cool in it. We wore foulies from about day 2 on a delivery from Maui to Vancouver this summer. I stayed very comfortable.

I wash and re-waterproof my gear occasionally with the stuff from Grangers.

I also wear breathable boots as I get foot issues from wearing rubber boots for too long. Breathable boots are also warmer. Rubber boots just get hot and sweaty.

My gear

HH offshore bib - I wear these most of the time as I do not like a wet bum.
Gill Atlantic jacket
Dubarry Ultima boots.
...and your point is??? The OP can get two sets of Grundens and Servus knee boots for what you paid for your yuppy yacht club boots.
Old 30-10-2012, 15:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugout View Post
...and your point is??? The OP can get two sets of Grundens and Servus knee boots for what you paid for your yuppy yacht club boots.
I do a fair amount of offshore sailing. I like to to be warm and dry. I also do not like wearing a portable sauna.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 21:33   #12

Don't let "Calgary" fool you. I have the strong impression that Jackdale knows whereof he speaks when it comes to passagemaking offshore.

Me, I have massive feet. Good for maintaining that simian lope going forward, but few sea boots fit properly. I have a pair of soft Gill boots that work if the water is less than about eight inches deep, but my proper seaboots are simply too narrow to be comfortable. I'll keep 'em as crew spares.
Old 30-10-2012, 22:04   #13

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugout View Post
The point seems fairly straightforward. People who cruise offshore and who do not need to worry about filth and stink, prefer to be comfortable. Comfort usually costs and does not imply yuppiness. Rather it implies a desire for the best practical solution over the long term.

Sailing casually on the bay does not necessarily bring forward the same considerations.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 22:17   #14

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Unlike many of the gimmicks, gadgets and "must haves" of yachting, foulies are (generally) something that you will use and will use often. There are plenty of places where you can save a dollar and choose "good enough", but, for mine, foul weather gear is not one of thise places. As has been pointed out, breathable gear is way, way more comfortable than non-breathable. Yes, you pay a hafty amount more for good quality breathable gear over non-breathable, but for me it is worth the difference. I sail in some pretty full on conditions, so if wearing good quality breathable foulies makes me a yuppy, well then color me yuppy!

Until recently, I'd have said Musto HPX or MPX would be the top choice, but I have heard one or two mutterings about Musto quality not being as good as it used to be. I currently have old Musto breathable pants (bib & brace), and Helly Hansen Ocean breathable jacket. I like Helly Hansen, but I suspect I will only get 5 or 6 year out of it before I'll have to replace.

As a general rule, genuine GoreTex fabric does seem to last better than other breathable fabrics.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 06:15   #15

Well, the bar must have closed at the yacht club...
Just kidding!!!! ...sort of...

This is an age old debate, sort of like anchors, but it doesn't change the fact that those who rely upon staying truly warm and dry on deck in foul weather conditions overwhelming wear Grundens. This is not a matter of opinion; it's a world wide fact. Polypropylene base layer, fleece layer, and Grundens. If you knock it you have not tried it in cold wet weather. I can't tell you how many I have convinced of this as they see my gear dry, off watch, and keep me warm and dry on watch. It's not a matter of cost. I can afford any gear I want. I must say 500 bucks for designer sea boots is a little over the top when 50 dollar boots keep feet warm and dry.

Try finding larger sizes in anything but Grundens. Brigg coats and Hercules bibs are offered from extra small up to 5X...

Tags
gear, weather