Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-10-2012, 14:43   #31

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb
<snip>
Unless we are beating DDW we are usually dressed in foulies, all year round.
Wow, I wish I knew how to beat DDW!

(Sorry, just a friendly jab.)

We use "Nautical Experience" foulies, there is a thread about them on here somewhere. We like them and are a great value for the $.

I do need a nice pair of boots. Hopefully my wife is reading this thread...hint hint!

Frank

GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 14:52   #32

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers

We use "Nautical Experience" foulies, there is a thread about them on here somewhere. We like them and are a great value for the $.
I should have mentioned that I wouldn't consider them the "best out there", but a great value for the price. If you want the best there is you will pay a premium (as you probably expect when buying the best of any product).

Frank

GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:10   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Foul weather gear.

Ah yes, Geo. Slip of the tongue (keyboard there). But we do tend to do things differently over here in europe :-)
Old 01-11-2012, 05:23   #34

Boat: Swanson 32
Re: Foul Weather Gear.

I have Gill Offshore 1 jacket and Offshore 1 pants.
On a recent offshore trip to Lord Howe Island while for'ard on the bow working on the furler, I copped a greeny and my mate at the helm said I totally disappeared under water. Came up dry as a bone. Can't recommend them highly enough. Lifetime gaurantee as well.
Steve
Old 01-11-2012, 13:24   #35

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Foul weather gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

I will admit that rather than hi-tech gloves I wear rubber work gloves with HH liners (from my local Mark's Work Wearhouse).
I wear thin, full-fingered bike gloves from MEC ($19) with orange rubbery work gloves ($7, and which will take all sorts of plunging into caustic chemicals, or so they say).

I find that the layering keeps my hands warm, which I find critical, but if I need to use my fine motor skills, I can just tug one work glove off and I don't lose much heat in the process.

In summer, I wear half-fingered bike gloves. In fact, I buy enough "boat stuff" at Mark's Work Wearhouse, Canadian Tire and MEC to give me a bigger budget for stuff like foulies and tethers, for which I try to shop "best", not "cheapest".

I would probably have a pair of Grundens for high-latitude stuff where the air temperature might keep me from sweating in them, but usually I just alternate cotton and fleece layers.
Old 01-11-2012, 13:42   #36

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Chariot View Post
I have Gill Offshore 1 jacket and Offshore 1 pants.
On a recent offshore trip to Lord Howe Island while for'ard on the bow working on the furler, I copped a greeny and my mate at the helm said I totally disappeared under water. Came up dry as a bone. Can't recommend them highly enough. Lifetime gaurantee as well.
Steve
"Copped a greeny"... I'll remember that one.

But were you wearing a harness and tether?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:43   #37

Boat: Swanson 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy

"Copped a greeny"... I'll remember that one.

But were you wearing a harness and tether?
Absolutely. I never go out of the cockpit without them unless really calm.

Steve
Old 02-11-2012, 07:24   #38

Boat: Heritage 35

have had Grunden's, wet skins, Old non breathable Musto. Might just of well used my own skin as anything that doesnt breath causes swet which equals wet, cold and clammy. sail the great lakes, eastern Canada TA the med and now Irland Now use Henry Lloyd and dubary's. raelly cold weather use Felt liners in rubber boots nothing beats warm feet and a wooly hat for the folically challanged! Dry, and warm is good wet not so much.
Old 09-11-2012, 14:29   #39

Boat: Crown 34'
I'd like to add to this question. Is there a brand that offers sizes for tall men?

I am 6'6" tall, 350lbs. I wear a 42-34 in pants but I can almost never find dress shirts, sweaters, or coats with long enough arms and most things don't go far enough below my belt.

It is my curse. If I'm going to drop thus much money on weather gear">foul weather gear I want to find something that won't leave me uncomfortable or exposed.

Tags
gear, weather

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: