Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 09:04   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Foul weather gear.

I'd like some opinions on who makes the best gear out there? I'm a large guy and need to buy all new gear, so I'm interested in getting some input.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 09:32   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Foul weather gear.

For us fisher folk, we like Grunden or Helly Hansen, not very yachty, but can't beat durability. Grunden comes in 3xl, I have no interest in Grunden other than a satisfied user, they also carry different weights of weather gear">foul weather gear, from light weight to heavy duty, depending on the application.
Old 21-10-2012, 09:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you want high quality (but expensive) look at Musto. I have their HPX foulies and they perform very well. I'm not thrilled with the zipper on the coat though, it's a little bit difficult to get started. Perhaps I'm just clumsy. I am also a large guy.

By the way, I've started to wear Musto MPX Salopettes occasionally, in warmer weather as the outer layer, and in cold weather as a layer under the HPX foulies. I look like a Teletubbie in the salopette, but that thing is really comfortable.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 09:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
For us fisher folk, we like Grunden or Helly Hansen, not very yachty, but can't beat durability. Grunden comes in 3xl, I have no interest in Grunden other than a satisfied user, they also carry different weights of foul weather gear, from light weight to heavy duty, depending on the application.
I looked at the Grunden web site and they look promising. I think from what I read they are really waterproof instead of "breathable" fabric. Am I correct?

Maybe it's just me but every set of expensive Goretex or similar breathable foul weather gear I've ever tried would breath damp in faster that it would breath it out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 09:54   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

How heavy duty does it need to be and how much are you willing to pay for it?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:14   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'

The Grundens are water proof, the heavy duty versions. Down side is if you are working much the moisture your body generates will make the gear damp on the inside after a few hours. When fishing, I change out every 12 hours and keep dry and warm, and experience less fatigue than if I wear the same set for 24 hours straight. You can also scrub the inside of the gear with bleach and soap to keep them sweet smelling. Unless it is raining hard, usually just wear the bibs so that most of the sweat evaporates into the atmospere. If you are sitting at the helm for long hours in the weather then a nice oiled wool sweater underneath keeps you comfy. I used to be real fond of Peter Storm sweaters.
Old 21-10-2012, 10:17   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

My all time favourites (marine brands) are Goretex things in Polyester shell. E.g. Musto HPX, followed by MPX. Other makers make Goretex too - and Polyester shell beats Polyamide in the long run.

My next shot (and what we actually have here) are Goretex things from climbing/outdoor makes. E.g. Mammut, North Face, etc.. I think these are best bang for buck. These tend to be far more comfortable than the marine brands. But the marine brands may have better seals and some boat-specific niceties.

Mid/Low end things from any marine maker I hate - they tend to come apart in no time and yet they tend to cost as much as 50% of the proper thing. Stay away. We had Henri Loyd and Burke stuff of this grade - they were complete waste of money (given our specific use).

The economy thing, say yellow (why yellow) rubber (PCV) fisherman stuff is mostly excellent - watertight and inexpensive and last well. The downside is they tend to get wet inside if you have any harder job done.

All boils down to where one lives/sails (cold/hot dry/wet) and what kind of sailings one makes (bay trips/ocean passages). There is something for everybody these days.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:46   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

I have a Musto HPX jacket (my second wet weather Musto jacket in a couple of decades, loved the first one). I have found a major problem with the design of the hood in the latest one I have. The hood just doesnt cover my head well (the edge of the peak does not even reach my eyebrows, so it is forever slipping back). I take a small size and I have a reasonably long neck. This may not be a problem in the larger sizes, but I have found it to be very annoying in bad weather. It was not an inexpensive purchase.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:00   #9

Boat: Sceptre 36

Helly Hansen - They are serious about, and honour their lifetime warranty. They just replaced my 12 year old jacket for free!
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:45   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
Helly Hansen - They are serious about, and honour their lifetime warranty. They just replaced my 12 year old jacket for free!
Which grade? Top shelf? City wear?

They all make their stuff in China now (good or bad). Some new 'equivalent' pieces do not last as well as our old stuff did!

I doubt HH or anybody will replace a 12 y.o. piece of garment for free unless there is a valid reason. What was the reason then?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 11:54   #11

I've been rocking the West Marine offshore series stuff for almost ten years now. Even go snowboarding in it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 12:01   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I've been rocking the West Marine offshore series stuff for almost ten years now. Even go snowboarding in it.

Oh, yes!!!! i went downhill skiing with my old Musto jacket. It was brilliant! Little insulation, but windproof and snow proof. Didn't quite look the part though LOL .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 12:02   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Climbing / trekking gear is nice, and generally less expensive, but if you are sailing with wind, rain, spray in the face, and waves into the cockpit, the sailing gear does indeed have features that you will be glad to pay extra for. Look for double-gasketed cuffs in the legs and sleeves, high neck design with adjustable hood and face flaps, large pockets with flaps and drain holes, etc. It's really important to keep the water out, otherwise you're just miserable. Breathable is really good, and if you do get damp under everything, your own body heat will drive off the moisture.

Of course what you need depends a lot on where and how you sail.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 13:56   #14

Boat: Sceptre 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Which grade? Top shelf? City wear?

They all make their stuff in China now (good or bad). Some new 'equivalent' pieces do not last as well as our old stuff did!

I doubt HH or anybody will replace a 12 y.o. piece of garment for free unless there is a valid reason. What was the reason then?

b.
Top end gear. The gortex or whatever membrane for the waterproofing de-laminated. They gave me a $350 credit for anything on their on-line store. I would reccomend them to anyone.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 20:49   #15

Grundens are great when you have to wash fish guts off your gear.

Right now I have HH offshore bib pants (I got a great deal) and a Gill Atlantic jacket. I love the HH pants and like the Gill jacket. They really do breathe. On a delivery from Maui this year, I wore them from day 2 (day 1 I got really wet, duh).
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, weather