Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 11:02   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Florida Use tax on USCG Documented boat purchased outside the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Any other East Coast state have such a tax that is much lower than Florida's?

New Hampshire is pretty low because its 0. Delaware is also very low.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:25   #17

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Sand crab is right I’m facing same situation but oat berthed in St Croix. Bought the boat in Tortolla 5 years ago but in US virgins I have to go to BVI at least once a. Year and no Tax due. I think there is a time limit similarly (u hope) with Fla.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:54   #18

Boat: Leopard 39

Many tax attorneys provide free consultations. I would go that route, with a Florida tax attorney, before contacting the State of Florida. I'm not an attorney, but when I went through this issue (and decided to pay the tax), my impression was that if you're going to be a Florida resident and use the vessel here, they're going to want that 6%- either as a sales tax when you buy the boat, or as a use tax when you use it. If you can show that you did pay a sales tax when you bought the boat, that amount can usually be deducted from the use tax you'll owe. Lacking a state income tax, Florida is diligent in collecting its various and sundry other taxes. Best of luck!
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailon46 View Post
Sand crab is right I’m facing same situation but oat berthed in St Croix. Bought the boat in Tortolla 5 years ago but in US virgins I have to go to BVI at least once a. Year and no Tax due. I think there is a time limit similarly (u hope) with Fla.
I believe the USVI have no sales/use tax on anything, nor personal property taxation on boats.

Of issue is whether your Tortolla purchased boat has paid import duty when imported into the USVI and of course registration.

You must have a U.S. Virgin Islands Certificate of Number (registration) and registration decal to legally operate any vessel on the territorial waters of the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The only exceptions are:
• Vessels with valid registrations from other states or territories of the United
States using U.S. Virgin Islands waters for 60 days or less
• Vessels from a country other than the United States using U.S. Virgin
Islands waters for 60 days or less
• A ship’s lifeboat or a vessel owned by a United States governmental agency
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 13:20   #20

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

We are still lacking an answer from the OP about whether he paid sales tax / use tax in the State of South Carolina. I believe that is the crux of the answer to his question right there. If he registered his documented vessel in South Carolina and paid the appropriate tax - Florida will normally recognize this. If not......
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 13:20   #21

Boat: Krogen 42

I would check with the DMV in Vero Beach or Marathon. Those two counties seem to know what’s up. When bringing my boat into FL, Clay county said I would owe 7%. I paid nothing when I used Vero Beach.
Old 06-01-2019, 13:35   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

If you move to Fla and become a resident and bring the boat to Fla you will owe use-tax. If you already paid sales-tax or use-tax in any other state then that amount will be credited toward what you owe in Fla.
Old 06-01-2019, 13:59   #23

How old is the boat?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 14:02   #24

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
I believe the USVI have no sales/use tax on anything, nor personal property taxation on boats.

Of issue is whether your Tortolla purchased boat has paid import duty when imported into the USVI and of course registration.

You must have a U.S. Virgin Islands Certificate of Number (registration) and registration decal to legally operate any vessel on the territorial waters of the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The only exceptions are:
• Vessels with valid registrations from other states or territories of the United
States using U.S. Virgin Islands waters for 60 days or less
• Vessels from a country other than the United States using U.S. Virgin
Islands waters for 60 days or less
• A ship’s lifeboat or a vessel owned by a United States governmental agency
I was under the impression that a USCG registered to the Colorado it’s ok in the uSVI as long as I go to BVI once a year am I wrong thanx for clarifying it for me
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 16:15   #25

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I was under the impression that a USCG registered to the Colorado it’s ok in the USVI as long as I go to BVI once a year am I wrong thanx for clarifying it for me
Are you asking whether Montanan meant what he posted? I suppose he did. If you exceed 60 days in the USVI with a boat registered in another US State, you must register the boat in the USVI.

http://coralbaycommunitycouncil.org/...ating-Regs.pdf
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 17:24   #26

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I'm no lawyer but the language seems clear to me. You bought in a forign country and are bring it to Florida. Where you were in the interim is not relevant. However, I see little chance you will be caught if you do not register your boat in Florida.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 18:14   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Are you asking whether Montanan meant what he posted? I suppose he did. If you exceed 60 days in the USVI with a boat registered in another US State, you must register the boat in the USVI.

http://coralbaycommunitycouncil.org/...ating-Regs.pdf
Quote:
I was under the impression that a USCG registered to the Colorado it’s ok in the USVI as long as I go to BVI once a year am I wrong thanx for clarifying it for me

Agreed. USCG Documentation means that you do not need to title your vessel in the USVI but you do need to register your boat in the USVI, similar to essentially the requirements of all of the States.

Sailon, I am confused by what you mean as to "registered to the Colorado". Is your USCG documented boat hailing from a place in Colorado?

Why do you feel compelled to leave a US territory such as the USVI and travel to a foreign country such as the BVI once a year? What rule are you attempting to comply with, especially since your vessel is located in the USVI for most of the year.

Hey, it's winter time here in Montana, I am all for sailing from the USVI to the BVI, just a hop skip and jump and getting away from the snow.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 19:49   #28
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
New Hampshire is pretty low because its 0. Delaware is also very low.
Yes but I suspect a zero state may be no good.

The registration issue could be beside the point, for **tax** purposes, FL may demand theirs if no sales / tax has ever been paid, no matter how long ago it was "imported".

AFAIK USCG documentation does not imply a physical import right? US citizens living overseas get US flagged all the time without importing into US territory land. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 19:54   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I'm no lawyer but the language seems clear to me. You bought in a forign country and are bring it to Florida. Where you were in the interim is not relevant. However, I see little chance you will be caught if you do not register your boat in Florida.
If you do not display registration numbers while in Florida, you are very likely to get pulled over. You have 90 days grace only if foreign flagged or registered in another US location.

If you are not registered because your state doesn't require it, you must register in FL before coming.

None of which is relevant to **tax** issues other than to show how unreasonable FL is, they just want the revenue.
Old 06-01-2019, 19:58   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If you move to Fla and become a resident and bring the boat to Fla you will owe use-tax. If you already paid sales-tax or use-tax in any other state then that amount will be credited toward what you owe in Fla.
Not dependent on domicile state of the owner.

Based on where the boat is, for how long, even if the owner only visits for an occasional weekend.

Tags
boat, florida, men, purchase