Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2010, 14:52   #16

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Skabeeb.... the other advantage is that you'll be in contact with a lot of people who will be able to point you to possible boats.

When the admiral and I were boat shopping, we had an agreement -- either of us could veto a boat for any reason however silly. She vetoed one because of the color. (I had to agree ... harvest gold...ugh)

Also, when you do come to buy, consider such things as your relative sizes.... things you can do easily, she might find difficult on some boats.

And that Catalina has a porta-potty, which I would not like. Give me something with a holding tank. YMMV

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 15:53   #17

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Not old school, not low-class - just appropriate for the type of boat. And seriously tiller pilot for about $400 makes life a lot easier. My sense is that autopilot systems for wheels are more pricey and the wheel system adds unneeded complexity for a boat this size.
I was just trying to relay my own impressions of tillers prior to actually working one. Sorry if it didn't come across clearly.
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 16:52   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Got a pickup or large SUV?? There is a Tartan 27 with trailer for sail in San Francisco that sounds like a very nice boat. Newer diesel, lot of money put into it recently. If you like the T27, a great boat, and have the ability to go pick this one up, it'd seems like it would be worth the trip. tartan 27 S&S cruising sloop , diesel, refit
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:24   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran
I have seen some larger Hunters and Catalinas (30-34 feet) from the 1980's going for about 10K lately on my surveys. Some not in bad shape and had everything you described within the state of Florida. You both have to like the vessel and get that warm and fuzzy feeling when you see her. I have owned several larger sailing vessels in the past and have lookied for months, visiting over 20 boats before I found the right one. I guess it is like blind dating! lol.. Remember also, what they ask for and what they are willing to accept is sometimes thousands less.. Good luck in your search.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51   #20
cruiser

Darn! I wish I'd know there was a Florida surveyor present in this forum about a week ago. Now I already said no to a deal there......... :-(
JustThinking is offline   Reply With Quote