Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 22:27   #46

Re: First Boat Purchase... Going to Have a Look at a Bristol 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Every buyer says they are serious until they need to pony up. What did you mean by co-purchaser?
To my credit, I hope, I've expressed interest in my few communications with the seller but never led him on to think I was ready to drop a deposit on it. After selling many things, you learn that actions speak louder than words.

Co-purchaser... it's something I've kept out of this discussion in an effort to keep the discussion anchored to the boat and not the entire buying situation. My good friend of many years will be contributing to the purchase and upkeep of the boat, gaining equity in the boat that she will recoup if/when sold or if/when I buy her out of her share. She has no sailing experience nor does she have much interest in gaining any outside of the basics (for now). We're doing it properly, with a written agreement, many discussions, etc...
Old 24-06-2013, 19:29   #47

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Re: First Boat Purchase... Going to Have a Look at a Bristol 32

If this boat were closer to home and you weren't interested in buying it my wife would buy it.
I'm serious, she has mentioned it several times.
If it were in the water we would probably send the money and then sail her to Key West soon.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 20:53   #48

Well... You should have! After much discussion and, more importantly, after a thorough breakdown of necessary expenses involved in getting the Bristol from driveway to sail ready, we decided that it wasn't right financially at this point. The seller told us that he had a gentleman on hold who was ready to send a check and so instead of hemming and hawing, we let the other guy have it. I'm sure he's getting a great boat, but, it wasn't the first great deal to have ever happened nor will it be the last.
Any thanks to all of you who chipped in with words of wisdom, opinion, and encouragement.

If nothing else, we're that much more prepared for the next time we find something that catches our attention.

-K

Tags
purchase