Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2007, 08:12   #1

Boat: Ericson 36C, Cutter, Kasidah
Finally Picked our Boat Insurance

Thanks to everyone that I have talked to on the site and over the internet we have decided on IMIS they are the agent, the insurance is with Markel. They were very helpful and went over everything with us. We did have Boat US for a smaller boat we had but needed something that would cover us, or we could add onto when we decide to go off shore.
So we can put a check in front of this on the long list of to-dos. Thanks so much for the help
Old 19-02-2007, 09:15   #2

Arlene...Markel was super to us after hurricane Ivan. Good choice and hope you never have to use them!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 09:38   #3

Boat: Monk 36 (formerly Westsail 32)
Another alternative

I didn't see any original discussion about boat insurance but I thought I may share my alternative.

I have had Progressive Insurance as my boat carrier for the last 6 years. We currently don't go far off shore which Progressive would not cover anyway. The real benefit for their policy is for coastal cruisers. Their navigation area is from Nova Scotia to the Florida Keys. They use to allow for off shore coverage along the eastern seaboard for up to 50 miles. I just got my renewal and now they allow for up to 75 miles. They sent me a notice that they now have a rider that allows for some Bahama coverage up to 125 miles from the continental US.

I had one major claim with them due to a windstorm. No hassles on payment and it came very promptly.

I carry $60,000 on my vessel and have $500,000 liability and also have up to $500. for towing coverage. The cost per year is $720. The deductible is very low at $250. I probably could save some money by increasing it to $500 or $1000.

I used to be in the insurance business for 26 years. When I purchased my policy with them I asked for an "AGREED AMOUNT" endorsement. Surprisingly, they gave it to me for little or no money. What this endorsement does is that it GUARANTEES that if their should be a significant or total loss, there will be NO DEPRECIATION taken at the time of the loss. In my case, if my boat is destroyed, I get $60,000. It doesn't matter if at the time my vessel is worth only $50,000.

You do have to have the boat valued and surveyed at the time of initial coverage to verify this endorsement. My prior vessel that was destroyed was a 1974 Pearson 33. I purchased the boat for $26K but the surveyor said that he would value the boat between $28 to 32K. I insured for $30K. When the boat was thrown off her stands in Irvington, VA, the adjuster said it would cost more than 30K to repair, so they just wrote out the check for that amount. NO HAGGLING!!!!!!!

The AGREED AMOUNT endorsement is widely used for other insurable items as well, such as antique cars, jewelry, etc. See if your current company will offer it to you. It will save you SO much hassle at the time of any claim.

One more comment. Progressive asked for a survey back six years ago. They have not required one since.

HERON
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2007, 12:50   #4

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron
I carry $60,000 on my vessel and have $500,000 liability and also have up to $500. for towing coverage. The cost per year is $720. The deductible is very low at $250. I probably could save some money by increasing it to $500 or $1000.
HERON
Here in South Florida I'm looking at 5,500 for 100,000 agreed value. Its insane.
jcapo is online now   Reply With Quote