Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2008, 22:53   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Great to hear. Good luck on the Insurance.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 15:41   #17

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Have you tried talking to Huey Lewis at Lewis Marine? Huey is an agent for both Club Marine and Nautilus, but, more importantly, he is a decent bloke and has been around the traps since Jesus was starboard trimmer on John's fishing boat for the Sea of Galillee match racing championships, so he might have some ideas for doors on which to knock...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 15:59   #18

Boat: catalina 27 enchanta
ferro insurance

Hi. I am a broker and insurance agent for club marine, and a previous ferro yacht owner (Samson C-Smoke which had done 2 circumnavigations) The situation in Qld now is that no comprehensive insurance is available, and that is Australiawide, and neither Club or Nautilus will now provide 3rd party. All marina's insist on minimum 3rd party, with public liability and salvage cover, and here in Townsille the Harbour Board also wants 3rd party for their pile moorings. I have one ferro owner currently in Nz searching, and he can get insurance there for pro built built boats, but in NZ waters only. I have another French owner, whose boat is here, searching Europe, and he has found a French company who will insure on the East Coast of OZ, but we are yet to determine if you or I can get that insurance resident here. With no insurance, you cant get on a marina berth or pile mooring here. It means you are left at anchor, and the long term result will be to make it extemely difficult to sell your ferro boat, and the resale value will plummet. I have written to various polititians and presented the argument that if the State Gov is making 3rd party mandatory, via its association with port authorities, then it should make it mandatory that insurance companies provide the cover, without any discrimination against hull construction material. It is compulsary for cars to have 3rd party, but there is no discrimination against any type of vehicle. This needs a united front of many ferro owners to pursue this with politicians. My single voice will probably not amount to much. Any one who would like a copy of the letter, and details of to whom it was sent, please feel free to email me at seacraft@bigpond.com Regards, Allan
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 17:27   #19

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
try your local car break down club here in S.A. its the RAA they insure a few ferros in our club 'SBC ' for full comp
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 17:38   #20

ferro insurance

Thanks for the lead. will contact them tomorrow. It seems that if you already have a ferro boat insured, in a lot of cases you can renew it yearly, but no one seems to write new business, so if you sell your boat, the new owner cant get insurance.
Old 19-05-2009, 12:37   #21

Boat: Ferro 38 foot CUTLOOSE
Hi there Jan I was just wondering how you got on with the insurance problem with your ferro. I am having the same problem trying to insure our ferro boat that has been in the water since 2004 and never had to make a claim.. now all of a sudden we cannot get any insurance in australia at all not even third party... would love any help on this one as we have nearly reached the end of the road...
samuelgrant9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 15:08   #22

Hi Sam, There is no longer 3rd party available for ANY boat living on the water. I have located a Britain/Spain based company that will insure worldwide, including ferro, and at reasonable rates. It is Northernreef Insurance, and and you can contact them and make an application on www.edwardwilliam.com I dont know anything about them, so this is not a personal recommendation but it does give you comprehensive and public liability and allow you to have your boat on a marina. We have just insured a 38ft ferro here with them, for $50K and the premium including an excess for living aboard bought the premium to just over $900. Regards,
Allan
Old 19-05-2009, 18:17   #23

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 46 Ketch "Meanda"
Try GIO , they will now insure full comp. with a survey. I have an O'Kell 46 that I wanted it for down in Geelong , but it can wait untill haulout in the next month or two.
meanda46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 18:22   #24

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 46 Ketch "Meanda"
I was thinking If I put a layer of woven rovings (glass) inside and out, I can call it "fibreglass Sandwich" construction.
meanda46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 20:23   #25

Boat: Wilderness 1100
Hi,
My mate has a Hartley 32 RORC in Adelaide. We cruised down your way a few years ago.
They are a great boat, very seaworthy, but not quick.
She is insured with AMP, with Comprehensive boat Insurance policy. We did it through a broker - Rod Winter.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Greg
scaredycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 20:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanda46 View Post
Try GIO , they will now insure full comp. with a survey. I have an O'Kell 46 that I wanted it for down in Geelong , but it can wait untill haulout in the next month or two.
CGU took over most of the SGIO's around the country a year or two ago and also NRMA in NSW, and they then dropped ferro. It might pay to talk to them again, and confirm. In some cases you will find that they will renew existing ferro policies, but wont write new business. regards,
Allan
Old 19-05-2009, 20:36   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanda46 View Post
I was thinking If I put a layer of woven rovings (glass) inside and out, I can call it "fibreglass Sandwich" construction.
that could be ok----as long as you never made a claim on the insurance.
Once you had to get any quotes or an insurance assessor saw it, they could wipe you for making a false application. ??
Old 19-05-2009, 21:11   #28

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
This crowd might???
http://www.canoe.org.au/site/canoein...rs%2007-08.pdf
Old 19-05-2009, 21:20   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portobello View Post
Hi. Thats associated marine insurers, and to the best of my knowledge they wont do ferro. Have a look at their application form------problems with them are boats that are lived aboard, ferro, and boats that are over 25 years old----and most ferro boats are.
Old 20-05-2009, 16:15   #30

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
try the RAA its the south australian version of nrma they will insure ferro as long as you have a current survey
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, ferro