Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 13:51   #1

Boat: Hunter 34 Blackhorse
Fair Price

Not sure if this is the right forum but I would like to know what is a fair price to Captain a sailboat from Fort Lauderdale to Santo Domigo in the DR.

Boat is a 1983 Hunter 34. All my sailing has been mostly in Coastal water (Chesapeake Bay and Puget Sound). I brought her down from Annapolis to Fort Lauderdale but most of the trip was in the ICW. Since I have never done any bluewater sailing I figured it was best to find a person (crew) who knew what they were doing.

I got one quote for $6,000 ($400 per day) plus food and airfare. It was based on 12 days to sail to DR plus 2 days prep here and 1 day clean up at Santo Domingo. For the 3-4 crew quoted the total would be close to $10,000.

Also got a quote to have her shipped to the USVI on the float on and off ship for $8,600. This would be cheaper then to sail her down.

So two questions:

Is the $400 per day rate normal?
Has anyone had their boat shipped and what was it like? (okay 3 questions)

Thanks for the help.

Bob Ewert
S/V Blackhorse
bobe531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 13:59   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Why don't you advertise for some crew on one of the non-profit sites such as here or the cruiserlog crewing section, you may just find a couple of experienced sailors who will do it for fun
Old 03-04-2010, 14:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Personally when I am asked to do a delivery my rate is either daily or by mileage... 120euro/day + expenses or 1.20euro/Nm...
$400 + seems pretty steep to me but then I'm a freelance with no overheads..
Moderators feel free to erase if the above contravenes Forums standards...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 14:28   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
In 99.99% of cases when a person realizes his skills are lacking and it's best to turn to a professional, he's right. This might be the 0.01% case where that's not true.

I would spend the money on the boat, not on professional crew. Get it in fantastic condition, then find a couple of enthusiast, unpaid crew people, and go for it. In the right season, that run is not that horrible. Go for it!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 15:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
In 99.99% of cases when a person realizes his skills are lacking and it's best to turn to a professional, he's right. This might be the 0.01% case where that's not true.

I would spend the money on the boat, not on professional crew. Get it in fantastic condition, then find a couple of enthusiast, unpaid crew people, and go for it. In the right season, that run is not that horrible. Go for it!
Sounds like a grand idea to me.... seems like you've only the need for 'back uo reassurance' to confirm you got it right.. don't need a 'pro' for that..
Dockheads got the right idea...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 03-04-2010, 16:25   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
If it cost about the same amount of money, I would have the boat shipped rather than have a delivery crew do the dastardly deed.

I am uncomfortable turning my boat over to a delivery skipper. It's not that I have anything against delivery skippers in general. But I have seen skippers that I would not trust with even my dinghy. I don't know how to tell the good from the bad, and I don't want to end up with an ugly result.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 17:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
If it cost about the same amount of money, I would have the boat shipped rather than have a delivery crew do the dastardly deed.

I am uncomfortable turning my boat over to a delivery skipper. It's not that I have anything against delivery skippers in general. But I have seen skippers that I would not trust with even my dinghy. I don't know how to tell the good from the bad, and I don't want to end up with an ugly result.
Get them to do what I do...
go for a sail with them in your boat... if he/they handle it well your more relaxed about the whole thing... n they get the job.
You would'nt buy a boat or car without a test out... why buy 15 days labour without some reassurance..

Old 03-04-2010, 19:39   #8

Boat: Looking!
bob was the "Black horse" name chosen because of a unit name? I know of two reasonable delivery captains. Plus I'd go along for air fare and food. As I am permanently unemployed so a tip would be nice but no commited salary for me.
email me if interested and I'll get more info for you and put you guys in touch with each other. I am at avoisine at cox dot net
avoisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Why don't you advertise for some crew on one of the non-profit sites such as here or the cruiserlog crewing section, you may just find a couple of experienced sailors who will do it for fun
Sounds like a good idea. Will give this a try when I get closer to departure day.

Bob E
Old 05-04-2010, 05:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoisine View Post
bob was the "Black horse" name chosen because of a unit name? I know of two reasonable delivery captains. Plus I'd go along for air fare and food. As I am permanently unemployed so a tip would be nice but no commited salary for me.
email me if interested and I'll get more info for you and put you guys in touch with each other. I am at avoisine at cox dot net
Name chosen is the nickname for the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment. Had the honor of serving with the Blackhorse 1967-68.

Would you still be interested in going in October. I had to get my knee fixed and will not be able to resume journey south for a couple of months.

Bob Ewert
S/V Blackhorse