Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2016, 12:05   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Expected pre-purchase survey cost for 2005 Lagoon 400

It does vary be location but as a surveyor .... I'd be wary of a price that low. I'd charge $20/ft for that boat but I know guys who'd do it for $9/ft and they are worth every penny

Take a look at some sample survey reports ... these examples show what you can get for a low price or a high (reasonable) PRICE.

Old 13-01-2016, 12:44   #17

15 is the going rate in SF they tack office time on by the hour or flat fee, usually around 250 dollars additional for writing up the report recommendations and mailing.

just make sure the surveyor is approved by your insurance company or bank and that they are members of the national assoc. of marine surveyors

Old 13-01-2016, 12:59   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds very reasonable. Just bear in mind, if you are getting insurance some of the insurers require one of *their* chosen surveyors be used before they'll insure you.
Old 13-01-2016, 13:51   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'm a bit confused. Is it a lagoon 400 or a 2005 model?
Old 13-01-2016, 16:41   #20

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Italians are always "champions" and indeed they asked me for 30+$/ft (without providing me with any hints about the expected quality standards of their product...so that it all appeared to me as an educated guess out of a superficial observation...)

Therefore..
I assumed that, the boat being from a high-spec design/execution, it was not that needed, eventually...
I think I was right in not much trusting the value of the "Italian" inspection...

Alas, I was miserably wrong, as I realized a few month later....BUT... hold on.. what would have they discovered through an inspection!? Would they check a 150Amp fuse being placed were a 400Amp one is needed!? Be sincere! I really do not think so!

Indeed, and thankfully so, what we discovered later was set against the guarantee fee foreseen in the Purchase Agreement, because a misrepresentation of reality, actually a fraud, became apparent afterwards.

E.g. the "well working" bow thrust broke off after say 30sec of cumulative usage (1200EUR)

Point is, I doubt that whatever a thorough inspection can detect in 8-12hrs all the whereabouts of a mistreated/mismanaged boat over the years.

Up till when you unscrew a traveller, or thoroughly open up a windlass shaft.... how can you tell anything!?

That is why, I would stress some PERFORMANCE BOND (to be set in % terms against the agreed value) as being way more important than any (due) inspection.

Note:
In all that, osmosis is posted as a primary concern, whilst to me it is/was of the least (and rightly so, on a good quality boat made up of good plastic)
Old 13-01-2016, 17:02   #21

On a catamaran , I would charge any amount twice (per hull).

This is half a joke, half a hard piece of thought
Thus, 7,5$/ft is actually a negligible charge :-) :-)
Old 13-01-2016, 17:14   #22

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

If it is a truly good and independent surveyor it is fairly cheap. If it is someone recommended by the seller or a broker, too much.
Old 13-01-2016, 18:04   #23

How do you find a great surveyor??
Old 13-01-2016, 18:07   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder51 View Post
Not easy but here are a few tips Choosing A Surveyor
Old 13-01-2016, 18:59   #25

I don't think the value of the boat is relevant really. It's really just a paid service depicted by time and don't think surveyors should make the value a primary influence. If a survey takes 3 days to inspect and write up, then it really should break down into a time based rate.

If anything, I could possibly understand the age of the boat being a factor, albeit minor. Old gear may require a more detailed look possibly.

My 2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneilms View Post
Let's see $25/ft on 40 footer, $1000. On a boat worth $250 to $300,000??? I don't mean to be mean, but this just makes me laugh. I think I would be happy to pay twice that for a great survey. You do know how much repairs cost on boats.
As a side note. Make sure they check it with a Flir. It is very useful in finding problems with the hull.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-01-2016, 19:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I'm a bit confused. Is it a lagoon 400 or a 2005 model?
2010 model
Old 14-01-2016, 02:19   #27

Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat

I am doing surveying work, here is my fee calculation procedure:
I calculate the area of the boat in feet, i.e. beam X LOA = area.
The area in feet = fee in .
The area calculation does justice to the costs, as a work on 40ft cat is not equivalent to 40ft mono.
For a L400 this will be 40 x 24 = 960 (or in US$ about 1,040 at current exchange rate).
This includes full survey, including the bottom, rig and seatrial.
Does not include any extra costs to third parties, like the lift for haul-out or payment to a laboratory for oil analysis.
The client gets a written proposal to accept/sign where the terms and work to be done are detailed and expectations are aligned.

Hope this helps.
Old 14-01-2016, 02:31   #28

Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Italians are always "champions" and indeed they asked me for 30+$/ft (without providing me with any hints about the expected quality standards of their product...so that it all appeared to me as an educated guess out of a superficial observation...)

Therefore..
I assumed that, the boat being from a high-spec design/execution, it was not that needed, eventually...
I think I was right in not much trusting the value of the "Italian" inspection...

Alas, I was miserably wrong, as I realized a few month later....BUT... hold on.. what would have they discovered through an inspection!? Would they check a 150Amp fuse being placed were a 400Amp one is needed!? Be sincere! I really do not think so!

Indeed, and thankfully so, what we discovered later was set against the guarantee fee foreseen in the Purchase Agreement, because a misrepresentation of reality, actually a fraud, became apparent afterwards.

E.g. the "well working" bow thrust broke off after say 30sec of cumulative usage (1200EUR)

Point is, I doubt that whatever a thorough inspection can detect in 8-12hrs all the whereabouts of a mistreated/mismanaged boat over the years.

Up till when you unscrew a traveller, or thoroughly open up a windlass shaft.... how can you tell anything!?

That is why, I would stress some PERFORMANCE BOND (to be set in % terms against the agreed value) as being way more important than any (due) inspection.

Note:
In all that, osmosis is posted as a primary concern, whilst to me it is/was of the least (and rightly so, on a good quality boat made up of good plastic)
Good advice!
Frankly, I would not find the wrong fuse during a survey. Unless the current delivered through the circuit at powerup is larger than the fuse can bear. I do power up all systems, but if the fuse stood up to the test I would not check its actual rating.
On the other hand I expect that the issue with the bowthruster would be found during seatrial as I like to give all engines a high load. During a survey this summer, I had almost a quarrel with the selling agent (who was on board during the seatrial) as I put the diesel engines of a cat to full RPM for a longish period. He did not like it (an understatement) and to be sure, one of the engines stopped while the other continued to purr happily.
Old 14-01-2016, 08:12   #29

@ meirriba

It all speaks for your honesty and competence.

I picked up the fuse example, slightly unfairly I know,... but I found 4 independent reasons for the windlass, and the bow-thruster too, for not functioning (they gave up, both of them, after a few but well spaced trials)..

What I want to stress, is LEVEL OF past MAINTENANCE, and CARE of EXECUTION (e.g. 1 washer SS, 2 washers iron-rust, 1 washer missing...) which is relevant, in an old boat at least
Old 14-01-2016, 08:18   #30

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder51 View Post
Asking here and letting us know where you're located is a start. People seem to be candid in their reviews of surveyors.

You can't expect anyone including surveyors to find everything. You should expect a surveyor to find the stuff that would effect the condition and value of the boat. I suppose you could pay someone to inspect a boat to the level of detail that would find under sized fuses, but it wouldn't be cheap. As was suggested earlier, doing as thorough inspection yourself before hiring the surveyor is a good place to start.

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400, purchase, survey

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: