Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 16:47   #1

Boat: Carter 33 - "S/Y Way Out"
Post Equipment for Round-the-World Cruising (33', 1975 Boat)

Hello fellow cruisers!
I'm asking for some advice from experienced sailors when it comes to nescessary equipment for my boat.
I bought a 1975 model Carter 33 three years ago, and me and my girlfriend are planning on sailing around the world for three years, starting 2013.
I've been living on board for almost three years, and she's been living on board for four months.
Since we're relatively young (I'm 28, she's 34), we're not loaded with cash, but I've managed to pay the sailboat, so we're debt-free. Our plan is to spend about US$22,000 on equipment before we leave, and bring along about $35,000 each in spending money.

Now comes the question of what we must buy before such a voyage. The basic equipment on board now includes a JRC 1000 Radar which works OK, a Sailor RT2048 VHF, an ancient GPS, an AirBreeze wind generator, a diesel heater, and Volvo Penta 2003 motor which runs like a clock.

Our fresh water supply is about 150 liters (+25 liters hot water). Our question then is if we should buy a watermaker. It's very costly, but many people recommend one. What do you think about that?

Other things we will purchase before departure are:
  • New sails (main & genoa): $6,400
  • Emergency life raft: $1,200
  • EPIRB w/GPS: $1,100
  • Wind wane:$5,500
  • Mast steps: $1,000
  • Anchor winch: $1,500
  • Navigation plotter: $1,000
We are also considering buying an Iridium 9555 satellite phone.

What have we missed, and what do you think about this budget?

-Kjell Arne & Kristine (Norway)
Steinsvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 17:34   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Equipment for round-the-world cruising (33', 1975 boat)

You will be installing a wind vane but do you have a hydraulic autopilot as well? I would recommend you have an autopilot as well as a wind vane.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 17:42   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

We did our circumnavigation on a Privilege 39 catamaran.

Based on our experience, I would do the mast steps myself for a couple of hundred dollars - that's what I did on Exit Only.

I would not install an electric windlass. I would use a manual windlass. Less complexity and less expense.

I would skip the navigation plotter and just use a laptop computer for those times when I want to see a plot on a screen.

I would get an EPRIB, but I wouldn't have a GPS in it.

Depending on the route that I chose to circumnavigate the world, I would decide whether to go with a wind vane or electric autopilot. Some boats have a balanced helm when sailing to windward, and can use sheet to tiller steering except when running downwind. If you are doing a trade wind circumnavigation, you want to be sure that your proposed wind vane will actually steer the boat down wind. You might find that an electric autopilot would do a better job down wind.

Our living expenses were $500 to $1000 per month when we didn't eat in restaurants much, and when we didn't do expensive land tours.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 18:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinsvik View Post

Our fresh water supply is about 150 liters (+25 liters hot water). Our question then is if we should buy a watermaker.

NO, don't need - but do figure out how you are going to catch rain water - there are a number of techniques. We catch it off our decks, funneled down a deck water fill.

New sails (main & genoa): $6,400 Glad to see that first on the list - do you have a storm jib? ANd you might want to consider a light air sail - which will save fuel expense.
  • Emergency life raft: $1,200 There's been debate about this one. I will leave it to you.
  • EPIRB w/GPS: $1,100 OK
  • Wind wane:$5,500 Good, hopefully a Monitor.
  • Mast steps: $1,000 No - too much money and don't need anyway. Get a climbing harness and your GF can crank you up the mast just as well.
  • Anchor winch: $1,500 Ground tackle should have been #2 on your list after the sails - so what do you have as ground tackle (anchors and rodes). Is this for an electric winch? A manual one would be fine.
  • Navigation plotter: $1,000 OK
We are also considering buying an Iridium 9555 satellite phone. They are nice, espically for weather info, but the monthly bills can mount up.

What have we missed,

Have you gone over the fundemental boat really well - taken the mast down, dropped the rudder, inspected all the seacocks? That should be first.

From there priorities are #1 sails (storm and light air), #2 ground tackle (one big anchor ready to go), #3 self-steering (wind vane + electric is best, electric works when motoring and in really light air), and #4 navigation (plotter is fine) and #5 weather (gribs or weatherfax, you will want a simple all band radio to listen to the cruising nets and get weather faxes).

Are either of you into food - if so, need to put the galley higher on the list - decent oven, fridge?

and what do you think about this budget?

OK for some young ones
Good Luck!
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 18:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Equipment for round-the-world cruising (33', 1975 boat)

You bought a Carter 33.... MAN YOU ARE SO F$&^£D....
Just jokin....
Used to own a Carter 30... nice boats...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 19:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

We have an emergency life raft, but not sure if we were doing it again that we'd have one. One thing we would not leave without is a good SSB radio (connected to a Pactor III modem) for e-mail, voice and weather files. We consider it as much a part of our safety gear as our ground tackle - anchors/chain.

We have several cruising friends who do not use electronic charting at all. They have basic GPS's and good paper charts, plot waypoints and use their eyeballs. That was the navigation we used coming from Annapolis to SW Florida, with no problem at all. We do have electronic charting now, but outside the US, it's not nearly as accurate as one might wish -- you find yourself anchored on top of islands etc. Just a thought. Cheers -- Jan

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:30   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Probably want to think about some solar.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:06   #8

Thanks for many good answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You will be installing a wind vane but do you have a hydraulic autopilot as well? I would recommend you have an autopilot as well as a wind vane.
Yes, I have an electric tiller pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I would get an EPRIB, but I wouldn't have a GPS in it.
Why is that? Isn't the ones with GPS more accurate? The price difference isn't that big.

Also, I see people arguing against bringing a life raft. Why is that? Isn't it better to have a life raft than not having one? I know the boat is the safest place to be, as long as it's not actually sinking, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Have you gone over the fundemental boat really well - taken the mast down, dropped the rudder, inspected all the seacocks? That should be first.
I haven't taken the mast down yet. I'm planning on dropping the rudder for inspection next summer, as well as repacing some old seacocks. I've already had my share of hull inspection, as one of the previous owners had ran it ashore. I had to fix the entire keel joint this summer, as the boat was actually leaking! A summary of the repair here: Livet om bord og undervegs

Quote:
Are either of you into food - if so, need to put the galley higher on the list - decent oven, fridge?
A new oven will be installed as soon as possible. We already have a new and decent fridge on board.

A solar panel will definetely be considered.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:52   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kjell Arne & Kristine.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:59   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I would get an EPRIB, but I wouldn't have a GPS in it............
FWIW, I would ONLY get a beacon WITH GPS.
Very little difference in cost (in Oz, $300 without GPS; $400 with GPS) but huge difference in position resolution and detection time.

Position Resolution: 5 km radius without GPS; 100m radius with GPS.

Detection time depends of actual position and time of day: 2 hours worst case without GPS, 10 minutes with GPS.

GPS acquisition time is typically less than 90 seconds from a cold start and only 3 or 4 seconds from a hot start. Some of units with the 50 channel GPS receivers have cold start times of 30 seconds or so.

I can't see any reason not to get EPRIB with embedded GPS.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:11   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

A new oven will be installed as soon as possible. We already have a new and decent fridge on board.
It honestly sounds like you are in pretty good shape and on the right track.

World cruising is defined as "fixing your boat in a series of exotic harbours', so take all your tools, and remember the less 'stuff' you installed the less you will have to fix (and more time to actually cruise).

Have you looked at your likely electrical balance? On a boat your size you will not be able to fit a massive battery pack, so will need to be careful. Find some electrically thrifty laptops - regular ones are real power hogs, and consider led lights (Especially the masthead nav and anchor lights) and double check that your fridge is well insulated.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:22   #12

Quote:
Have you looked at your likely electrical balance? On a boat your size you will not be able to fit a massive battery pack, so will need to be careful. Find some electrically thrifty laptops - regular ones are real power hogs, and consider led lights (Especially the masthead nav and anchor lights) and double check that your fridge is well insulated.
Yes, we have taken power saving into consideration. Today we have 2x175 Ah batteries (+100 Ah start) on board, but they are getting old. So next year we will most likely buy 2x220 Ah batteries. Navigation lights are already LED.
When cruising in tropical waters, we don't need power for heating, so I guess the consumption isn't so high there as here in cold Norway.
Anyways the 250w wind generator and 80A alternator on the motor will probably be sufficient. In addition; perhaps we will add a solar panel (and also buy an emergency gasoline generator).
Old 11-12-2011, 07:13   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
2x220 Ah batteries.

That probably will be very satisfactory, but I hope you have some free-board left after you load them on board!

Anyways the 250w wind generator and 80A alternator on the motor will probably be sufficient.

Our experience is that wind generators are much less productive than most hope. In most suitably protected anchorages there is relatively little wind, as there is when sailing downwind.

80amps is about the right size for 440 ah bank (rule of thumb is 25%). Do you have a smart 3-step regulator for the alternator, or is it internally regulated (if internally to what voltage)?
Dinghy and outboard? They act as your round town (harbour) car, when cruising.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:24   #14

You've probably already done this, but be sure your standing rigging and chainplates are in good shape.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:50   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sounds like you are really on the right track!! a few little things we have found handy over the years, Books, both pleasure, and repair manuals. A always leave a little room for Gifts, things have changed over the years, you can't get a bunch of lobster for a couple of Playboy mags anymore LOL all kidding aside, don't forget some creature comforts, they really help on those windless days and believe me they will happen !! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, equipment, round the world